“The best choice to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sokha Angkor Resort

You added Sokha Angkor Resort to your Saves list
Sokha Angkor Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   National Road No 6, Sivatha Street Junction | 1km from Old Market and Pub Street, Siem Reap 855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #46 of 231 Hotels in Siem Reap
phoenix
“The best choice to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We cannot say enough about the great services we received from every staff member during our 4 day at this hotel. Everyone was ready to help us and smiled when we had a request.The moment we arrived and entered the hotel lobby, we were given a cool drink and refreshment towel. The rooms were sapcious, clean and the pool area was the best we have seen in Siem Reap. The Raffles Angkor did not have enough shade in our opinion and so , we decided on this location.
Walking distance to Royal Garden and Victoria / Raffels Hotel plus 10 mins walk or $2 tuk-tuk ride to pub street.
The bar area was the peferct spot to relax and unwind in the evening or after a dip the pool during the hot afternoons. We were also happy to see such a wide selection for breakfast too. The staff were so pleasant and smiled each time we asked for help and attempted to learn their language.
We will certainly return to this hotel in our future visits to Siem Reap.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
tokyo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

If you are in Siem Reap - can afford this budget - but not staying in Sokha Angkor : you don't know what you are missing.
Definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed in so far. Coming from Japan, a country known for it's extremely high standards; I failed to find any major glitch in Sokha's service.

To be a little more specific :

1 ) Value for money : I paid 123 USD per night , which may sound expensive but not if you compare the price for similar standard hotels and the returns. An excellent buffet breakfast , intricately decorated big rooms with jumbo king size beds with big balconies , probably the best and biggest salt water pool in Siem Reap are just the icing on a superb cake!
2) Service : Unparalleled. Very professional - yet with extremely personal touches.
3) Elegance: An artistic eye for detail towards every aspect of hotel decor.
4) Location : Nothing can be better , very quiet yet just 10 mins short walk from Old market - 15 mins from the bustling pub street.

Very difficult to be disappointed , am pretty sure about it.

- Arnash.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We've been to a lot of 5-star hotels, but this one is way beyond expectations
This is our first time to Cambodia: 3 days trip to visit Angkor Temple.
We chose this hotel because it was the best value and the closest to city center.
We were amazed: Very nice welcome. Totally professional staff. Excellent rooms (bed, linen, bathroom, huge TV). Amazing pool...
To give you an idea about the service quality: We wanted to leave for Angkor Temple at 5.30am, we asked for a "breakfast box": It was ready at 5.15am with hot crescents, cakes...
Believe me, I'm a pain in the bottom kind of costumer, but with this hotel, i'm speechless.
Enjoy your stay.
One more detail that has nothing to do with the hotel: in you take a taxi from the airport, the driver will present himself as a member of the "airport drivers association" and will propose his services to take you to Angkor temple. Keep in mind that those guys are only "licensed drivers", they are not "authorized guides". This means, they will drop you at Angkor's main gate. They are not allowed to guide you through the temple. Get yourself a real tour guide.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We came to Siem Reap for a few days to bear the heat and see the sights (well worth bearing the heat for).

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by very courteous staff. Check in was a breeze compared to other hotels. We were able to buy our temple passes right at the hotel which was nice. Rooms were a little small/outdated but nice overall. Good ac.

The pool is amazing with a mini-temple with waterfalls at one end. Really nice at night. That said, two major problems with the pool (hotel):
1) pool is surrounded by bats at night and virtually unuseable
2) during the day the pool 'facilities' are non-existant

The mens' locker rooms was disgusting, lockers were all broken (when you could find someone to get you a key), minimal towels, and no sandals to use the dirty looking showers.

That aside, the main restaurant 'Le Chanthou" was absolutely amazing. The staff were friendly, service was great, food was great, prices were unbelievably reasonable (drinks, wine, appetizer, main course, dessert, apperatif for $50USD including tax and tip), ambience was great.

Business center has a few computer with free high speed internet available at all hours.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

This hotel has a fantastic lobby are, with lot's of comfy sofa's and grand settings.

The room was of an average size, but enough for two people. I have never seen a larger bed that the one in the room. It was approximately twice the width of two Queen sized double beds!! There is no wifi internet access in the room, but there is a business centre and wifi is available in the lobby.

There was a large pool, which was very nice. It was great to be able to go for a refreshing dip after a long days sight seeing. It closes at 6pm, though, which is a bit early, but it gets dark around this time.

Location wise, the hotel is slightly away from the action of Siem Reaps infamous Pub Street - about a 10 minute walk. There is plenty to do on your walk back though if you like massages, and we found a supermarket which was useful. Alternatively a tuk tuk ride is a maximum of $2.

It takes about 20 minutes to get to the main temples by car, but there are plenty of other temples out of the way - approximately an hours drive.

The staff couldn't do enough for you. They were more than happy to exchange larger bank notes for smaller denominations. When we tried to extend our stay by an extra night, they advised us it would be cheaper for us to do it through the internet, which was decent for them to have informed us.

There is a buffet breakfast to suit all tastes.

All in all, an excellent hotel in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Book through the internet
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

We had wonderful time in this hotel. Had no complains regarding food, accomodation, services and location. Very central located all entertainment around walking distance. I would go and stay there again.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms and club suites are excellent.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

The hotel is located on the NW corner of the intersection of the east-west road leading to the airport and north-south road which leads from the temples to the night market/bar street of Siem Reap. The road from the airport feels rural, however the greedy government of Cambodia that charges you 20 USD for entering the country and 20 USD for leaving imposes a 30km/h driving limit that raises the brow! A taxi which you need to book in the airport is similarly overpriced and everything since entering the country until leaving, gave me the impression that tourists are taken for granted, overcharged and then laughed at. The 8 officials that sat near each other and passed each of the Bangkok Airlines small plane passengers’ passport (like in a dictatorial cartoon) while staring at us and passing comments, made me wonder if this is necessary and why everything is in USD and not Cambodian Riels? For having a peek at Angkor Wat from the plane, make sure you stay on the left of the plane as you land.

Thank God the hotel was booked using my Agoda.com points, hence was around 50GBP but probably the best spent money!!!! They kept my requests for a quiet room and upgraded me to this amazing suite with the most gorgeous bath I have ever had: a massive diamond shaped bath where could relax after the long day. The hotel had a beautiful garden in front of it separating it from the street (unlike other 5 star hotels I saw down the road), fast check out, complimentary water bottles and kettle. My room had a swimming pool view for which I paid extra and I did not understand why, despite the hotel being not full, other people were given street view rooms instead of swimming pool view?

Things I did not like:
- children running around still managed to wake me up, so probably the insulation of the hotel is bad
- you are charged 20USD/day for visiting all the temples of Angkor Wat and Thom and surrounding them which are simply amazing, not a word about Cambodian Riels
- my driver who picked me from the airport for a fee paid in advance charged me 25USD to take me around the temples and return me to the airport. Despite him being member of the Cambodian Tourism agency which I though this should be very professional, I later learned how bad is to be left waiting in the summer rain waiting for 45min (when probably he took other tourists from the airport), with his boss checking every 10min on him and even seeing him driving in his car looking at us to make sure probably he will take his share!!!!! The simple girls (dressed in 3-4 layers of clothing in the scorching heat) who sold un-necessary stuff near Angkor Thom even called him 3 times to see why he was so late. He did not come with me to tell me things I have not read in my guide books about these places and was again late that night to take me to the night market and surrounding areas. He was not late when taking me to the airport in the morning and me handing over the amount we have agreed. Probably you would be much better off doing more research about other options especially if you are in a group
- the night market mainly sells Cambodian gold and gems of little value but how nasty the local girls can get if you buy an item somewhere else: ‘I could have sold it to you cheaper’, or ‘Go away’ they say in order not to hear the prices they give to Cambodian girls who live overseas. Thank you very much for trying to enhance my shopping experience, I thought. Similarly if you refuse politely a service on the street they will say things designed to hurt you, representing actually their IQ level and state of mind.

Conclusions: Siem Reap is a place designed to be visited fast, with research being done in advance, especially if you have thin skin. Thank God the hotel was amazing.

Room Tip: Pay extra for swimming pool view
  • Stayed April 2011

Been to Sokha Angkor Resort? Share your experiences!