“Great base for touring Angkor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Meridien Angkor

You added Le Meridien Angkor to your Saves list
Le Meridien Angkor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vithei Charles de Gaulle, Khum Svay Dang Kum | Siem Reap City, Kingdom of Cambodia, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #66 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
Phoenix
“Great base for touring Angkor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Le Meridien Angkor for 2 nights to tour the temples in the area. Siem Reap airport is cozy and we had no issues with the hotel pickup and ride to the hotel. The hotel itself is in a great location with close proximity to Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom - the reason for our visit. We were thrilled with that. It is also very close to the Siem Reap town. The service in the hotel was excellent! Starting from checking us in after we were comfortably seated in the lobby, to arranging tours and a driver for us to see the temples and an early morning tuk-tuk ride for the sunrise tours to Angkor Wat. The food at the hotel was the best in our 10 day trip to Cambodia and Thailand!! It was the first time we were eating Khmer cuisine and we were blown away!! We are now looking for a local Cambodian restaurant though I doubt it will be as good. We also did a dinner show - the cultural dance show - at the hotel and while the food was great, the show felt a little repetitive.... The rooms are ok. Nothing extraordinary from any other chain hotel. They do have this odd wooden window connecting the room and bathroom which can be closed but isn't sound proof.....but the rooms itself were very comfortable. There is a foot massage place in the hotel ( seperate from the spa) and it was wonderful! Do try it after a while day of tours! On the whole though, Cambodia seemed expensive and the hotel is no exception. All the service comes at a price and be prepared to pay in USD.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

I went to Le Meridien Siem Reap with a few of expectativies. However I found an excellent hotel, extremelly friendly staff. It is an old five star hotel, well mainteined, not exclusive, but very good value. fantastic spa.
I reccomended it !!! Room are wide and warm furnished (a little bit old style)
Good food, and very close to the temples and the city.
I will come back!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

I'm a Starwood Gold Member and used my points for a four-day, three-night stay at Le Meridien in early February.

The hotel's location, away from town and closest to Angkor Wat, was a big plus as I toured the temples and other sights by bicycle. I found the sleeping room clean, comfortable, well-appointed, and quiet (save for the evening when they have the traditional music and Apsara dancers!). The bed was very comfortable, and the shower had excellent water pressure. The room, as well as the pool, provided a wonderful retreat after long days of touring.

The service, at nearly all levels, was warm and attentive. Upon arrival, the GM personally gave me a full orientation, replete with restaurant, spa, and touring recommendations. The concierge was extremely helpful with all my requests, large and small. The front-desk staff accommodated my requests for an early check-in (9:30am) and late check-out (4pm). Housekeeping was excellent. And I loved the afternoon and evening treats, especially the homemade marshmallows left on my pillow!

I was out from dawn to dusk and did not have any meals at the hotel so cannot comment in this regard. I did check out the breakfast buffet one morning and found the selection to be lacking, mostly in comparison to the lavish spreads found in Thailand's Starwood properties (but that's a pretty high bar to meet!).

I did have two massages at the spa and was extremely disappointed. Staff can be much better trained in both massage techniques and guest relations. Indeed, I found the bell staff more gracious than the spa staff! The spa itself could use more ambiance. The place feels like an afterthought, located behind the small fitness center. During my treatments, I could hear conversations in the hallways, mostly among staff. Even with the 50% off promotion, I felt like I wasted my time and money. If you want a real spa experience, I would highly recommend Frangipani Spa in town. That place is an oasis for true peace and relaxation!

I agree with other reviewers that Le Meridien Angkor leaves a lot to be desired in terms of architecture and ambiance. But honestly, unless you're planning to spend a big chunk of your time at the hotel, the lack of character is not a big deal.

In sum, Le Meridien Angkor is an excellent choice if you want a quiet, comfortable place to stay that is closest to the major sights--and it's only a quick bicycle or tuk-tuk ride into town.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

I spent 4 nights at Le Méridien Angkor in summer 2008, booked with Starwood points.

Overall the hotel is a very good place to stay at.
Even if not charming, the hotel is convenient and the rooms are very comfortable. Bathrooms are nice and the bed is really comfortable.
It is well located, a bit away of the bustling center of Siem Reap but still within distance if you use a tuk-tuk. And it is on the road to the temples, which is good when leaving early in the morning.

The service is nice even if surprisingly far from the professionalism you would expect in a 5-star hotel. But you might consider that it is part of the exotism of Cambodia!

The pool is more than a nice-to-have given the temperature, and this one makes an enjoyable break in the afternoon.

Apart from the lack of atmosphere of the place and the somewhat poor offer of amenities (library, lounge...), the real bad point about this hotel is the over-priced, not-so-good food it serves. Definitely plan on having lunch and dinner downtown as this will definitely be a much nicer experience.

• Liked — Nice hotel, pleasant pool
  • Disliked — Lack of atmosphere
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

This is the first time I would advise not staying at a Starwood property.

Booked three nights using points via the Starwood/SPG toll free number. Requested an option for Club Level/Lounge access for 2000 addition points per night.

Arrived at the hotel to be told that lounge access is only available from 10:00A - 4:00P. No breakfast, no pre-dinner drinks/snacks and the hotel does not have a 'Club Leve'. I was aware that free drinks were soft drinks/tea/coffee, but figured they would still have snack and a paid bar option in the evening. They also stated that the limited lounge access was available to me as a Gold level member anyway. I asked what it was we were getting for 2000 additional points each night and was told that we had the best view at the hotel. FYI, the hotel is three floors and we were on the second floor! Numerous calls later and we came to a solution that allowed us to stay in the room and have an 8:00P check out on our last day (they acted as though they were doing a HUGE favor and the Front Desk Manager would not actually speak with me about the issue).

The best part...I used the lounge - it is really just the hotel bar - one afternoon at 2:00P and was reminded I could only have a free soft drink/tea or coffee (and still had to sign a check that reflected a Diet Coke priced at $0.00)! While enjoying my 'free lounge access', a tour group of 30+ arrived for their prearranged afternoon tea! The hotel uses the area for tour group functions.

Save the additional money or points and stay down the road at the Sofitel or one of the numerous other properties. But you must make it to Siem Reap/Angkor Wat - an amazing place!!

• Liked — Most of the staff was very nice.
  • Disliked — No Club level/Lounge access.Food, drinks. business services were over-priced for Cambodia.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

We stayed four nigths in a deluxe room . It is a great hotel , five stars in service , five stars in accomodation and only four stars for activity , spa , business centre . We have a superb experience at Italian restaurant : very nice place , excellent cousine , friendly service . Do not miss the breakfast .
During the day as anyone we visit temples and we enjoy the hotel when we come back in the nigth . This is the best moment to appreciate this hotel : the swimming pool , the romantic dinner , the cold beer at lounge cafe .

• Liked — HOTEL SERVICE
  • Disliked — SPA
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

I had booked this hotel, through the Starwood website. I must say that I have no regrets in choosing this hotel, especially the fact that we were there, not only to visit angkor wat but also to enjoy family time during my birthday.

we were picked up from the airport , given cool towels the moment we entered the pick up van. We arrived without any hitch and were directly invited to sit at the lounge while the personnel at reception did all the neccessary.

The room we booked was a deluxe and it had all the comfort of a good five star hotel. I must say i have no complaints on the room nor the housekeeping service provided at least 3 times a day. My 2.5 daughter was unwell during this trip and had vomitted late evening in the room, and when i called housekeeping, they arrived immediately and cleaned it throughly and infact was so kind that they told me they would spray air freshner once they come back again for housekeeping when we were out for dinner.

So, no complaints on the room service at all, however, what was dissapointing was the same menu buffet breakfast which was served for the 6days we were there, since we were non pork and non beef eater, our spread was very limited. I have travelled to most Starwood hotels and I must say the spread was dissapointing, this is because the Sheraton Laguna in Bali and Sheraton Sukhumvit Bangkok had different spread almost everyday , if not every other day.

Having observed this, I must not forget to convey my compliments to the current chef in the Italian restraunt at Le meridien, being a lover of italian food, the chef did justice to italian cuisine. This is a must go restraunt if you ever stay in this hotel. From the entree to the dessert, we were not dissapointed at all. My thanks also to the waiters there, who were so kind in reserving the sofa seat so that my daughter was able to sleep while we had our dinner.

As to the gym, my husband who used it , commented that it was rather small for a big hotel such at this. but this is secondary as after a long tiring adventure visiting the temples and all, it was indeed heaven to come back to the hotel to rest and enjoy the italian dinner.

Will we be back if we visited siem reap again? Absolutely yes, though please improve on the breakfast buffet.

Apart from the comments on the hotel, perhaps I would like to share my experience on other matters in siem reap, the toot toots are reliable, you will not be taken for a long ride which we experience in bangkok.

My experience on healthcare, since my daughter was down with severe flu was that, it is better you come prepared with all the medications, ask your doctors to prescribe with the necessaries including antibiotics if necessary , also a travel kit neubuliser if one is ashtmatic since the road conditions are very very dusty.

Also , there are many kids who may need clothes, so if you have any you want to give , even handme downs, please do, they would be very very grateful.

• Liked — The room and Le Angelo the italian restraunt
  • Disliked — The breakfast spread
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Le Meridien Angkor? Share your experiences!