“Small hotel big heart” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
Kuching
“Small hotel big heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

We chose Shinta Mani after reading about it in DestinAsian and the work it does. Our short getaway turned into a very meaningful trip as
we felt we could do just that little bit for the community. The staff
are well trained and for Man Utd fans, you are in for a treat with the club's very own football channel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

My husband, teenaged daughter and I enjoyed our three night stay at the Shinta Mani in March. The idea of reaching out to others is what initially attracted us. The desire to be responsible tourists greatly influenced our decision making. Although the hotel differed from the Four Seasons we had just left in Thailand, we were not disappointed. Our driver met us at the airport and we were whisked to our hotel where we were graciously greeted with a cool drink and draped with lovely stoles. Our room was ready; cool, comfortable and nicely appointed. Cool bottled water was readily available, as well as tea and coffee and the evening turndown snacks were always yummy.
The front desk helped us plan our tours for the next day and directed us to a restaurant we had read about in the old town where we enjoyed an incredibly inexpensive and delicious meal. The hotel breakfast each morning was excellent. There was a variety of fresh fruit and breads, and they prepared eggs several ways - from egg white omelets to eggs benedict. There were several asian favourites and a good cappuccino was prepared fresh.
The temple tour the next day was well planned. Our English speaking guide was helpful and knowledgeable. At his suggestion we returned for a break in the afternoon to recharge with a light lunch and a swim before heading back to finish our tour. We originally hoped to do two days of temple touring and maybe some cycling but the heat and humidity got the better of us. My husband returned to Thailand for a meeting and my daughter and I remained for another day before returning home to Toronto, Canada.
That day my daughter and I visited the Institute of Hospitality before indulging in a half day of spa treatments in lieu of tours. We started and finished with tea and snacks. They were very accommodating of my daughter's modesty - this was her first spa experience. We had scrubs and wraps, massages and a facial. We shared a room that opened out to a beautiful private outdoor rainshower. We emerged pampered and relaxed - the perfect end to our short Southeast Asian jaunt.
That evening we enjoyed the best meal of our holiday at the hotel restaurant. Everything was fresh, tasty and interesting but not so unusal that you weren't sure if you liked it. It was hard to decide what to order because it all sounded so appetizing. My daughter ordered a wonderful Khymer meal. I had a more European type menu which was just a good. The piece de resistance was the chocolate dessert.. The plate was decorated with words of 'blessing' wishing us 'sweet dreams' in their beautiful native script. The service was impeccable. The staff took such good care of us and were always gracious and cheerful but not overly so. They even placed mosquito coils around our feet so that we could better enjoy the garden setting.
We felt loved and cared for and my husband felt confident about our safety when he left us to continue his journey.

• Liked — the friendly staff and outreach opportunities
  • Disliked — the bathrooms could be refreshed
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

My family (2 adults and 2 very young children) stayed at the Shinta Mani for 4 nights and really enjoyed our stay.

If you are one for luxury fixtures than its sister hotel Hotel de la paix may be a better option. Amongst other things, the room we have had tiled floors instead of carpeted ones you see in most hotels so it tends to feel somewhat slimy when we walked bare footed. Its bathroom and especially the bathtub needs to be replaced as there was a strange odor when you shower (maybe something to do with the plumbing. The pool water appears green so we didn't venture into it.

Other than that, the services were great, our room was spacious and cool, especially after a long day at the temples. The spa is simply fantastic. I got a 25% off the listed price as my massage appointment was for the morning. The food at the hotel restaurant was ok, we had 1 lunch there, but you can get better and cheaper near the Old Market. My son demanded we go to the Blue Pumpkin everyday after we'd ate there on their daybed area (upstairs and airconditioned).

We also arranged for the car and guide for the temple tours and Tongle Sap tour with the hotel as well. It is a bit more pricey than those mentioned in the forum but we had a lot of flexibility and booked just the night before the tours.

Finally we did the Village Visit organized by the hotel to see their work in the villages, which is one of the main reason I chose to stay with them. As with most NGOs, don't expect every cent you'd given to be efficiently used. But they are doing a great job helping the villages and we had chosen to donate a water well as we got to see how it can help the villagers.

Overall, we got what we believed was value for the money and a leisurely paced vacation.

• Liked — Cool (temperature) and spacious room
  • Disliked — Bathtub
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
The World
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

We checked in before noon as our flight arrived a bit earlier than we had anticipated. The hotel has arranged for a driver to pick us up. The air conditioner in the car was not working so we had to put up with a bit of dusts.

As soon as we entered the hotel, we were offered cold towels to freshen up. Our room was not ready so we decided to have lunch while waiting for it. The restaurant decor was simple yet elegant, it is very easy on the eyes. The food was surprisingly good with flair of surprises. We decided that we will have our dinner here to try out the rest of the menu.

Our room was the corner room with a view to the pool. The perfect room as far as I concerned, we can get wet anytime that we wanted which we did multiple times for the next few days. The bed was comfortable and the sheet were white and clean. The bathroom however was not as good as the bathtub and the counter is showing age as well as some cracks. So it is not perfect but we have a clean room to rest after a hot day under the sun visiting the temples.

The pool is a bit small but quite pleasing to the eyes. The water seems cloudy at times but I was unsure if it is dirty or the hotel has put too much chlorines in it. We used the spa service and my wife did not enjoy it as it is more for the student to practice then for us to have an actually spa experience. However, we choose this place just to be able to do our minor parts in helping the students.

We enjoyed our dinner at the hotel restaurant very much. The food were delicious and because of the hotel location were tuck back in a quiet street, we could have nice dinners together. The hotel certainly earns its "boutique" name.

We were happy with our stay, it is by no stretch a 5-stars hotel. The amenities and the room provided is somewhere around 3.5-4 stars but the service certainly is 5 with little mistake here and there however very endearing errors.

• Liked — boutique feelings
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

I stayed at the Shinta Mani for three nights and everything was great. The hotel picked me up from the airport and, upon arrival, I was taken right to my pool-side room. I told the hotel that I would like to see sunrise at Angkor Wat, the rest of the nearby temples, Tonle Sap and anything else I could fit in over the three days and they arranged a guide and driver who took me everywhere. My entire stay was around $600, including the room, car, guide, driver, breakfasts, one dinner, room service once and taxes.

On my last day I had a late flight and they needed my pool-side room, but they let me have another room for a few hours at no charge. The internet was painfully slow, but at least it was available for free. The breakfasts were great and the dinner was ok - I had better food for less money in town, but no major complaints.

The spa was excellent. Not sure if it was quite worth the higher prices, but of the three massages I got in Siem Reap the one at the Shinta Mani was the best.

The only thing I did in advance of my trip to Siem Reap was book the hotel. Everything else I arranged upon arrival (through the hotel) and it worked out perfectly. I would definitely go back.

Stayed March 2007
Travelin3InTow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

First off, they lost our reservation.

Secondly, we were moved twice in two nights.

Thirdly, a spa guest complained about children in the pool. The spa is poolside, by design and our kids were playing at "normal" kid volume. We were asked to move.
The GM replied: "... the guest wife was taking a 3 hour Spa treatment, and they refuse to pay, saying that it was too noisy, so we has to give it free for them..." What sort of service provider tells another guests that they are responsible for the hotel not receiving payment?

Finally, our family paid for a house to be built in the Shinta Mani village (a great community service for villages around Siem Reap and many organizations do this). My 9 year old, though he has saved and worked hard to raise the US$90 to purchase a pump, was shown nothing. The reason: ", I jumped the queue to build the house for you...so I could not get your water well drilled." The website says it takes a month. We gave 6 weeks notice. In the end, we JUMPED THE QUEUE? We didn't get a THANK YOU.

There are a lot of hotels which profit Siem Reap residents. There are a lot of organizations which support locals who are currently unable to support themselves.

Find one which is better run and has some sense of gratitude and customer service!

Siem Reap is amazing. The country is beautiful and the people are always smiling! Don't miss this vacation, but do take a miss on Shinta Mani!

• Liked — Ecotourism
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

We stayed for three nights at the Shinta Mani. It is a really lovely little hotel, with great service and location in Siem Reap. The staff were vey eager to help and always welcomed you with a smile. The staff helped arrange our temple tours and made recommendations for where we might eat, etc.,

The location is very nice - near to the old city and a tuk tuk ride away from everything of interest. Yet, the hotel is located on a quiet and peaceful street.

The breakfast selection was good -- and the fruit were excellent. The rooms were spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable and sheets were spotless. The towels were also clean.

The bathrooms were small and we had a lot of plumbing problems. The water was spouting out everywhere on the first day -- which they repaired very quickly. The showers had awful water pressure -- and ran scalding hot or cold -- we could not control this.

We found the spa to be a little expensive -- and would recommend that if you only want a foot massage, stick with the more inexpensive places in Siem Reap (cost $22 at the hotel, and $6 dollars elsewhere!). Also, the swimming pool is awfully small -- not really fit for use and the room service took 1 hour. So, if you like lounging around the pool - this will be a disappointment.

We were quite impressed with the community programs supported by the hotel, and we appreciated the opportunity to participate in this. We also really liked the fact that the hotel trains people from the community and helped them to find jobs -- there is a desparate need for this in Cambodia. The general manager, Chitra, was very friendly, full of good insights and recommendations for things to do -- and is very committed to the social responsibiity aspect of her work.

We would stay here again, though we would probably also like to explore other places to stay in Siem Reap -- there are countless options -- and some looked very interesting.

• Liked — Approach to social responsibility
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shinta Mani Club Siem Reap? Share your experiences!