“Great Pool, Poor Use of the Word Boutique” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Passaggio Boutique Hotel

You added Passaggio Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Passaggio Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   #0432 Watdamnak Village, Salakomreurk, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Ranked #143 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Pool, Poor Use of the Word Boutique”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

So, this wasn't the greatest place I've ever stayed. But it also wasn't the worst. The people were friendly and it was clean (evidenced by our shower curtain being taken down one day to be cleaned). But, I definitely wouldn't describe this as a "Boutique Hotel" that to me implies something totally different. The breakfast was minimal (and the eggs sometimes undercooked), and the bed was hard, and I really didn't care for the fact that there was no safe in the room. But, that was my own fault as they do say on the website that there is a safe at the hotel but don't specify that it is in the room (at this point I'd rather keep my possessions on my person) . But, the location was great and within walking distance to the night market and Siem Reap proper, the people were very friendly, the rooms were clean as I said, and the pool was such a treat after a long day out at the temples. Very refreshing and relaxing. So, I'd give this an average review and you do get what you pay for... but I wouldn't be calling myself boutique. It's not... same same :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Passaggio-Hotel, Manager at Passaggio Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Sme0284, thank you very much to your taking time write review Passaggio Boutique Hotel. your review is very important for us to improve and to the next guest choose their correct hotel stay.
first of all, on behalf of hotel management. I would like to say thank you to your kind word that is our service and also apologize for any of your inconvenient during that your stayed with our hotel. we will improve very soon. and the safe we use in front desk and we informed you on letter in each room. I think you soon know as well. I do hope you will understand about our budget hotel. but we still try to service at our best. I hope we have another opportunity to serve you next coming period.

our hotel is in the city center, walk 2 minutes to old market and popular night life. and our hotel is free pick up and drop off to/from Siem Reap International Airport/Bus Station.
if you any question to reservation please contact by email:sales@passaggio-hotel.com

Sincerely yours, Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

very cheap Hotel.
cozy swimming pool which was very nice, but only 4 sun lounges.
staff were Friendly.
breakfast was ok could be better.
rooms were very large, very spacious, bed was comfortable.
loved the ceilings & the art work very nice.
bathroom was average, shower over a bathtub
location is a gem a 2 min walk to Pub street & Markets which saves you on tuk tuks.

Room Tip: don't get a room near the restaurant noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I do not consider this a boutique hotel. Everything from the rooms to the service is acceptable, but not does not go the extra distance I expect from a hotel calling itself "boutique" - such places should be unique and above average in every way (such as the Hanoi Elite Hotel - that is a true and excellent boutique hotel, costs twice as much, but is totally worth it and in a more expensive city).

Passagio is fine in all regards, but don't expect any extra touches. The bathrooms are not impressive, but the pool is nice. We had several miscommunications with the staff regarding airport pickup etc.

Stay was acceptable and served its purpose, but left feeling underwhelmed as I had been looking forward to a few touches of luxury and a higher level of service given the description and other reviews (and I'm generally not that demanding, but do get annoyed when places fall far below the expectations they set with the descriptions provided).

Others seem quite happy with this place, but personally I would have paid a bit more to get a real boutique hotel if I had known that's what I needed to do to get one.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

The Passaggio offers decent value and is centrally located in Siem Reap. Only thing to say is that it's not a boutique hotel. The moniker 'boutique' all to often gets used a bit too casually without real consideration as to what it stands for. This establishment is a very reasonable two-star property, but does not offer the level of service that one would expect from a hotel describing itself as boutique.

• Stayed July 2013
Mandeville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was my second trip to Cambodia; this time my wife, my son and I stayed at Passaggio for a full week with two stays at Passaggio at the beginning and end of the trip. Rainy season discounted rate gave us a wonderfully enormous room on the top floor, as well as included laundry (great for the muddy season in Cambodia!). Our first night, the bathroom water heater kept us awake with a squealing air leak, but the staff had a plumber in by the next morning, and we had no more problems. Firm mattresses also were a plus for helping the sore back after days of temple trekking. A nice touch: at least in our large room, a tastefully plastered ceiling gave a flair of the French colonial architecture that can still be found around town if you look for it. Small, but nicely arranged saltwater pool was also a welcome refuge.

The only down side (for my 12-year old, not me) was that the complimentary breakfast menu was fairly small (basic eggs on the Western side, rice, noodles, pho on the Asian). However, we stayed at Passaggio for quite a few days--if you're there only 2 or 3 nights, it probably won't be a problem.

Besides the friendly staff, the best thing about Passaggio is location. The Old Market is a three-minute walk across the bridge, but far enough so that the _horrendous_ late-night ueber-amped noise of Pub Street was barely audible (certainly did not keep us awake at Passaggio). Once or twice, we were awakened around 6 a.m. by the sound of monks chanting in Wat Damnak next door, but that's one of the wonderful aspects of Cambodia. If you are not expecting an overpriced luxury hotel (there are plenty, but why stay in one if you want to see Cambodia for what it is?), and if you understand that a certain amount of patience and good humor is a must when travelling in this country, then Passaggio will be just fine.

Room Tip: Family room is huge; lots of room to spread out and relax.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Celbridge, Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights when visiting Siem reap. It was a great experience. Clean comfortable rooms, good aircon, really nice staff and a great breakfast.

The hotel has a small but serviceable pool and being in Cambodia in June it was a cgreat place to wind down after tramping through Ankor Wat.

The location is also extremely convienient, being just a short walk to the town centre

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

While backpacking through Asia, three sweaty friends strapped with backpacks and myself stumbled into this hotel on a whim after being a bit disenchanted with some of the more budget looking places around town. The first price we were quoted was a bit more than we were wanting to spend, but the very friendly clerk was more than willing to work something out for us that stayed within our price range (less than $10USD each) that included breakfast. The room was very nice and included air conditioning, and was thoroughly cleaned every day. There is also an outdoor pool, which was a welcome relief after riding bikes all around Angkor for the week. The staff was very friendly, extremely helpful and attentive. Great location right by the town center. Excellent value for what you get, highly recommend it to anyone looking to stay in an nice hotel, or those simply looking for a comfortable bed and to stay on a tight backpacker budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Passaggio Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!