“A very Good Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Borei Angkor Resort & Spa

You added Borei Angkor Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Borei Angkor Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   National Road 6 # 0369 | Banteay Chas, Slorkram, Siem Reap 0369, Cambodia   |
Offers & Announcements
Best Deal - Book Direct !
Ranked #28 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
San Francisco
“A very Good Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

One of the best hotels in Siem Reap. Our stay was very comfortable, the hotel was clean, exhibiting warmness. The staff was very attentive to all our needs, very respectful and smiling, and courteous. The service was very good. Easy to deal in all aspects. Very close to the market area of the city (5 mins in a Tuk-Tuk). The food was good, but few vegetarian offerings. The internet connectivity was good, but little slow. Swimming pool neat and clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Westborough, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We have just returned from a great trip to Cambodia and Thailand and I am anxious to get some thoughts down before I fall into a deep sleep and forget! While we loved Siem Reap and had a terrific guide our accommodations fell a bit short. First off when we arrived there was a lot of confusion regarding our booking which we did months before we arrived. In fact, I had called via skype and spoke with the manger directly and still we did not have the four rooms we had reserved. To the hotel's credit they did switch our room but only after they told us the hotel was "overbooked" and yet somehow, miraculously the room next to ours with the king bed we reserved became available in minutes of our complaining. Good thing too because as my husband attempted to open a drawer and unpack in the first room the hardware flew off the drawer and across the room. And yet the old room, the new room, our boy's room and our friends room all had the distinct odor of pee. We intended to stay for 3 nights but changed our flights and headed to Bangkok early!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hang S, General Manager at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Stefanie B,

A warm greeting from Cambodia!
Happy New Year to you and your family!

On be behalf of the entire team, I do apologize for what happened to you while checking in at our resort.

Same time, we do appreciate for taking your time to share your experience with our readers. We have learnt a great deal out of that. We definitely will do whatever we could to prevent those mistakes from happening again in the future.

We have also just learnt from your friend about the experience that you have gone through. We did fail to give you the best first impression upon arrival; and we were not able to offer good service while you were staying with us.

However, after conducting a full investigation, I strong disagree that our rooms smell like pee. And if it did you should never pay for that. I personally and immediately would bring that to the manager's attention as soon as I detected that within the first minute. I respect your decision not to agree to be checked-in to the wrong type of rooms requested, and I do about the smell.

Allow me to share with you that this nature of the mistake is rare to occur within our establishment, but it did happen to you. We are very sorry that we were not able to enhance your once in a lifetime experience while staying with us and visiting the Kingdom of Wonders.

Should you, in the future, decide to revisit Cambodia again, please give us a second chance to prove that you were not wrong to pick us in the first place.

Once again, I would like to wish you and your loved ones a very happy new year.

With best wishes of the season,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This has got to be the best hotel with absolutely the best customer service!!!

We stayed here for 5 nights in October 2012.

The hotel itself is in great location, clean, tranquil and has everything any traveller may wish for. Great food also.

But the highlight for us was the care and attention we received from every single member of stuff, starting with the baggage handlers all the way up to the management. BEST EVER! We travel a lot, but yet to come across any other hotel that matched this one. Would recommend it to anyone and everyone, and hope we will get a chance to stay here again soon.

Thank you Borei Angkor!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had booked three nights here as part of our family trip thru southeast Asia. There were two families - 4 adults and 5 teenage boys. We had four rooms.

We knew we were not staying at the best place in town (that honor goes to Raffles) but we did expect this to be an upscale resort. That expectation was destroyed pretty quickly. First, the check-in process was painful as they didn't seem to have any of the kinds of room we asked for. At first they said they had no more rooms of that type available, but when we made a big enough stink they miraculously came up with them - but they were not clean. We needed to wait an hour for them to clean the rooms.

Some of the rooms had a funky smell - something akin to a NY subway station. They also did not clean our rooms until after 5 pm. That's annoying when you out in the hot sun touring all day and you come back to an unclean room. One day, while out for dinner, the cleaning staff left our door wide open with our camera, computer, etc just sitting there. Inexcusable. The joke of the stay was when the restaurant manager came over to tell us we should not have the duck because he looked at it and it looked rotten. Very classy.

We had enough. We checked out a day early and paid a change fee to fly to Bangkok a day ahead of schedule. The hotel manager did seem to care when we explained why we were leaving and offered to remove a few charges off our bill.

I will say the pool area was nice and the spa looked nice, though we did nit partake in any services. The breakfast in the morning was not bad either.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear ThetaChi,

A warm greeting from Cambodia!
Trust that you have had a good vacation in Cambodia and Thailand.

On be behalf of the entire team, at the resort, we sincerely apologize for what happened to you, your family members, and your friends while checking in at our resort.

On top of that, we thank you very much for taking your valued time to share your comments and experiences. We have learnt a great deal out of that. We definitely will do what we can to prevent those mistakes from happening again in the future.

It was indeed a painful experience, ones could imagine, when you had booked the rooms well in advance, but rooms not available upon arrival and checking-in. As you may have observed from others reviews that such a nature of service and mistake don’t regularly happen. You have witnessed that our people did their best to accommodate your room type need even it means to do a lot last minutes changes that may also result in disturbing others residents, but we carefully and professionally did our best to switch the rooms for you and your family.

Furthermore, I am very sorry to learn that the rooms had never been cleaned on time even after your temple touring. Most of all, I am terrified to read about your rooms had been left opened after the service.

After conducting a full investigation, I strong disagree that our rooms have funky smell similar to NY subway station (I travelled to a number of places in the States including NY). And if it did you should not pay for that. I personally would not want to spend my three nights in a smelly hotel room and keep quiet neither. I could have made it known to the managers. I respect your decision not to agree to be checked-in to the wrong type of rooms requested.

On the other hand, I am very sorry to learn about your unpleasant dining experience with us. That was the last straw! I am not trying to explain to you here, but I would like to share with you that we are blessed to be able to speak basic English; and able to communicate in English at times. The limitation of English used might have resulted in the classy joke of the stay, as you have clearly pointed out.

ThetaChi!
I am not asking for your forgiveness, and I am admitting that we did a number of things not right. At the same time, I would like to share with you that this nature of the mistake is rare to occur within our establishment, but it did happen to you. We did fail to give you the best first impression; and we were not able to offer good service while you were staying with us. As the consequence, you have decided to shorten your stay in Siem Reap. I am very sorry that we were not able to enhance your once in a lifetime experience in the Kingdom of Wonders.

Should you, one day, decide to revisit Cambodia and not able to get a room with Raffles, please do consider us. Please give us a second chance to prove that you were not wrong to pick us in the first place.

We would like to wish you, your family members, friends, and loved ones a very happy new year. Stay healthy and happy!

With best wishes of the season,
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this hotel for Christmas during a 3 month trip travelling in Asia and I have to say we were really disappointed. We booked because of all the good reviews on trip advisor but certainly didn't have the same experience. Firstly it took us over an hour to check-in. The room we had booked and paid for wasn't available and we were downgraded which considering the price of the room wasn't really on. To begin with we were told in no uncertain terms there wasn't another room or the room we had booked available, then once we complained another was found. We had to wait ages for a new key to be issued to get into the room and I went to check on the status of it twice. Not a great start for a hotel that prides itself on it's service and is indeed one of it's selling points.

However once we were in the room it was perfectly fine, lovely bathroom, large bed, all the facilities you would expect, a little tired in it's decor but the balcony overlooking the pool was fab. We attended the Christmas Eve Gala which was fun, the effort put into the decorations and the look and feel of the event was huge. It looked like a winter wonderland in the sun.

The pool itself was great, yet the number of sun loungers was perplexing. There's not that many for the number of guests and on Christmas Day everyone had the same idea of being by the pool. Therefore quite a few people were disappointed and they had none in storage.

The service throughout our stay was generally poor. At the hotel restaurant it was slow and despite at one point there only being 2 tables to serve on, the waiter walked past us with our order not to return. We had to chase what we had ordered each time we ate there. However the breakfast buffet was very good in terms of quality and selection. At reception we found the staff distracted and not well informed about the hotel. We had read there was a hotel bar on the forth floor, the restaurant staff told us it was a tuk tuk ride away which we thought was very odd considering it was in the hotel information. We asked at reception and after some discussion we were told it was indeed in the forth floor and were directed to it only to find a completely different named bar on arrival. Little things at the time and if they had happened individually you wouldn't think anything of it, but it seemed to continue to happen. We didn't have a room service menu in our room and when we enquired we were simply told it was in there and to look for it, eventually after some insistence one was brought to our room.

All in all it was incredibly disappointing and we were expecting so much more. In fact we had just left a hotel in Siem Reap which was a quarter of the price of the Borei Angkor with ten times the service level.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I served as a hotel analyst for many years and have toured hundreds of hotels around the world. The Borei Angkor Hotel is of good quality with an above average service offering. The room itself is in need of updating however it is comfortable. The bed is comfortable but a bit hard and the pillows are a bit flat (cotton and not down pillows). The towels should be upgraded as they are a bit thin and not very absorbent. The shower was fine and spacious. There never seemed to be enough soap however and I had to call nearly every day to ask for more. The rooms on the pool side offer less noise and a more pleasant view. The balcony was a nice addition to the room with a small table and two chairs. The A/C worked fine and kept the room cool. The service team was above average and nearly every person I encountered was pleasant, even smiling and very willing to assist. The breakfast, which was included in my package, was a buffet style and offered traditional Western style foods. The food was of good quality and fresh. Again, the wait team was very accommodating. The pool was very nice and the lounge chairs comfortable but again the towels were of poor quality. Overall I would recommend this hotel and would rate the hotel itself as average but the people above average. From my experiences the hotel service team can make an ordinary hotel much better than it actually is and this is the case at the Borei Angkor Resport and Spa.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms on the pool side which also shields you from the construction noise which is curr...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hang S, General Manager at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Toddhk,

A warm and seasonal greeting from Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, your home while you were staying in Siem Reap!

We sincerely thank you for your time and your kind compliments about our services, and talents. That is the real source of energy when come staff motivation; and especially when you have the background as the hotel analyst for so many years.

We are indeed extremely pleased to learn a number of things that have been suggested and pointed out. Your constructive comments and it's details will serves as a direction on what we should look at.

I would like to this opportunity to share with you as well that we are the homegrown company which owned and managed by a 100% local talents. We are one of the well-established hotel companies in the Kingdom of Cambodia. We pledge to provide the best possible services in all areas of the resort, and the properties that we operate. We believe in providing personalized service, value for money, paying less but getting more, and we do believe in Muddita at heart service, which we all strongly believe that our satisfaction and happiness come from seeing our customers/residents happiness while patronizing us.

If you ever come back again to visit Siem Reap, I would like to invite you to experience our new products, Privilege Floor.

Once again, I thank you very much for your time. Same time, I would like to wish you, your family, and loved one a very happy new years.

With best wishes of the season
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 6 nights whilst in Siem Reap, we found the staff to be very good particularly the concierge guys, very willing and able to help you with requests. The location is also quite good, to the pub st area is a $2 tuk tuk. The breakfast buffet is also very good and is what you would expect at a very good hotel. My wife had several spa treatments and said they were excellent. The rooms are getting a little tired and do need freshening up a little, having said that it is still well worth it. I would recommend this hotel to friends.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Borei Angkor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!