“Good but not exceptional” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 474 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Hello to my readers, My name is Francesco,I opened this small restaurant in December 2012, I live in Cambodia for about six years, I have worked mainly as a guide for -Italian group of travelers- that are visiting this country that has become my "home" of adoption, but in Italy and elsewhere I have done many other professions, including for long time that of cook.The years here don't let me forgotten the flavors and tastes of my land, my bet is to introduce you to these flavors-strictly homemade- in this corner of Indochina, all the products are of Italian origin, the purchase , storage, preparation of these foods are performed according to standard HCCP, the prices may seem a little high but they are also high costs and especially the transport of raw materials -strictly Italian-I much more than get rich I would like to manage a place where people of different cultures and backgrounds can feel at ease, taste, experience and judgment of taste that can make them feel good; wine, food, music and chatting are finalized to get this goal.
Doha, Qatar
“Good but not exceptional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We've been to Italy a few times (family lived there for three years) and were looking forward to some "authentic" Italian but we left a bit disappointed, still hungry and with an empty wallet. We had the Big Italian, the cold cuts and the calamari. Both were good enough to eat (especially after a day touring) but definitely a bit lackluster. I honestly can't remember if we had dessert or not, but we did have the red house wine and my husband had a beer. All of that ended up being a very expensive evening (for Siem Reap); when I paid the bill in cash there was a misunderstanding where the owner thought I said "keep the change" which would have been a $60 USD tip so I sat at the table for an extra half an hour waiting for change and he was surprised when I finally caught his attention and asked for it. It was an honest mistake but sitting around for half an hour, with nothing in front of me, without being asked if everything was okay was annoying. He was, however, busy getting food to the two other tables that were in the place.

The owner was great and very personable, very proud of the food. The restaurant itself was well decorated and cozy but we wouldn't give it another try if we were to go back.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
francescocambo, Owner at L'Osteria, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Hello Travel Girl
This morning I read your review and I'll try to answer your comments `.
-Still hungry; from what you describe to me you ate it seems really strange; however, would be enough to let us know and we proceeded in this regard; usually our customers are more than satisfied with both the quantities that the quality of the food.
-High cost; you write that you have lived three years in Italy `so you should know that in Italy the basic foods already have a fairly high cost, then think that here we are 10,000 miles away and everything but ALL of the materials we use are imported and cost least 80% more than they should.
-You write that for a country like Cambodia, our prices are exaggerated; I still remember that you had chosen an Italian restaurant and not a local restaurant where you spend certainly much less; we deal ONLY Italian products, those who choose them pays them the right, I assure you that we do not become rich with this job. The extra virgin olive oil does not cost as soy sauce, capisch??
-Also, write a review after six months-say 6 months! - From dinner in question seems to me to the limits of the surreal ....... as I could give account of the things that you write me?
Maybe next time you'll `- not here but elsewhere - have grievances it is best that you do this right away.
the staff of Osteria

“A bit dissappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

A friend and I decided to try this little restaurant as we have seen it a few times when visiting Picasso bar next door. Its got a great location and the owner, an American gentleman, was very friendly but that was the highlight.
We ordered the Big Fish dish and the menu clearly stated that we would get one big fish cooked in typical Italian style, but what came out was a dish consisting of 2 types of small fishes, some calamari, some shrimp - all cooked without any seasoning and without any accompanying sauces. It was very disappointing and needless to say we left most of the dish on the plate.
Their house wine was reasonable and their breads were good.
To be fair, I shall try them again but this time I will order their starter platter, which looked interesting on the next table.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
francescocambo, Owner at L'Osteria, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Hi Nabilkanan!
many thanks for your reviews about L`Osteria ; I am Francesco , the chef and partner of Steve ; the kind American gentleman that you mentioned in your review !
Perhaps there has been an error of understanding , in the menu we have three choices of fish only :
- red tuna steak grilled with salad
- slice of sea bass baked with potatoes and asparagus
- fried calamari and shrimp with lemon
They are dishes of the Italian tradition and , in your case , the dish you ordered 'was served only with salt and lemon; if the customer likes we serve ( without charge) mayonnaise or tartar sauce aside - but that ` there must be required - from what you write it seems to me that your expectations were to order a whole fish like those we can see in many restaurants serving Khmer food, but be aware that them are freshwater fish ( lake or river) and not from the sea and where the minimum weight is 3 - 4kg .
Also you have ordered calamari and shrimp - like that shown on the menu `- which are not fish but molluscs and crustaceans.
We would like very much, however, still have you as a guest and compensate in the case with other delicacies of our cuisine ; I read that you already have ' spotted one that is a little bit the specialties of the house ..... the big Italian mix , yummy !
So,have good evening and see you soon, you welcome , ciao ciao
Houston, Texas
“great food and reasonably priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

this is a must try if you love italian food. i still can't forget how good the food was. it was the best meal in cambodia we had.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“You have to try the big Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I've known about L'Osteria for a year, but me and my partner always stick to the same restaurants! Luckily, we decided to try it out on Saturday night and we were not disappointed! The atmosphere was just amazing, with chilled out music in the background and courteous, warm staff.

We ordered the house white wine, which was good, as well as the big italian, which was more than enough for 2! For quality, Italian food, i highly recommend L'Osteria!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We sat outside this little restaurant. Was very hot but the food made up for any shortfall in the ambience of the place. We had the starter platter which was filled with gorgeous tasty Italian food. So generous in portion size. It said (2) beside the platter but we were three people and it was tons of food. Next we had the traditional gnocchi, ravioli with spinach, and the cannelloni with ricotta and meat. All were delicious. Couldn't finish our mains as ate too much of the platter. Sadly had no room for the tiramisu for dessert. Will have to go back another time to try. Highly recommend.

Visited May 2014