“Golden Butterfly Review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Butterfly Villa

You added Golden Butterfly Villa to your Saves list
Golden Butterfly Villa
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Steung Thmey Village | Svay Dangkum Commune, Siem Reap 76, Cambodia   |
Ranked #5 of 382 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Chengdu, China
“Golden Butterfly Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Great place to stay absolutely nothing to fault. The staff are especially awesome and are very attentive. The complimentary bottles, bananas, tea, coffee and bikes are great. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We arrived very late and received a warm welcome on arrival with a free complimentary drink. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The rooms are clean spacious and well appointed. The bathroom has a hair dryer and the shower is nice, with good water pressure. We also received a complimentary massage which was very good. Less than five minute walk to the centre of town (Pub Street, Night Market). It's the little things that count, comfy bed, cable TV, fridge, toothbrush, slippers, bicycles. Great price. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bovenkarspel, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We arrived in the middle of the night and got discount for late arrival! We did the check-in in a lounge chair while enjoying a lovely welcome drink, while our luggage was brought to our room. 2 free water bottles and free tea, coffee and banana was included in the room fee. The room and bathroom were big, clean and very nicely decorated. The whole hotel was a nice tiny resort with plants everywhere. The garden and the lobby overlapped and a nice breakfast was served. The staff wanted to take a picture with us when we left and send it to us by email to thank us for our stay. They also gave us some chopped fresh fruit to take with us when we left. They arranged pick up and were very helpfull overall! All this for less than 15 euro and ... Free Massage included!!!!

Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this lovely hotel. I just can say: staff was very nice, they have clean and big rooms, awesome drinks and peanuts as welcomer. Our bed was lovely decorated as you can see in the picture (it was our 2nd honeymoon trip).

I can just recommend this hotel to everybody staying in Siem Reap.

Phnom Penh, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am a Cambodian visitor to Siem Reap and try to use a different Guest Houses or Hotels on every visit. I was very much looking forward by chance to my stay for the first time at the Golden Butterfly Villa, because it looks very nice on the website, it’s a new sister hotel of Golden Temple Villa and is in a good location, close to the Old Market and Pub Street. I decided to book 5 nights 6 days.

I made an internet reservation several days in advance from Phnom Penh, when I checked in they acted like they did not know about my reservation and would not tell me if I was on their list or not. I tried to call by phone many times to inform the receptionist about my booking and the room values. I feel that the staffs are not clear to all information in the hotel like booking, room rates and the system is not good.
The receptionist was very smugly rude, in a polite manner, and kept interrupting whatever I was saying, like he was in a great hurry, and I was a nuisance keeping him from some more interesting activity. I came to find out that most of the staff had this same peculiar manner about them. Unfriendly to the guests !!!

I told them right up front that I am in the Cambodian traveler and that I was interested in the hotel for countdown in Siem Reap . They either did not care something that I told her. Actually, I guess they just didn't care for Cambodian guests but foreigner guests only.
When I was arrived in the hotel, no welcome drink for me. If you stay on 1st floor or 2nd floor, it doesn’t matter for you but 3rd and 4th floor, it’s hard to pass because no have elevator.
In the room, don’t have free coffee & tea. I got only 2 bottles of water every day. The hotel don’t have swimming pool and free breakfast. A/C is not cold. I need to open fan in plus.
In the high season, for the rates in Golden Butterfly Villa, you will be have a great time with another hotels or guesthouses in Siem Reap that serve free breakfast and swimming pool.

The maid would only come when I was in the room, not when I was out for most of the day (and yes I left my key with the receptionist).

I think I was also satisfied on the quality of the room they gave me, It’s looking very nice and large room with balcony. Bathroom is very nice and clean.

All in all a very bad experience, I recommend going somewhere else. And I am sure that Golden Butterfly Villa will be not my choice for my next vacation in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: Room on the 4th floor is very nice for sunset view and quieter and the room is large (406) but A/C i...
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The Golden Butterfly Villa is a decent guesthouse, but I feel that it’s a bit overpriced for the services that it provides. There are many good things about the villa and these qualities have all been listed in other reviews (e.g. good service, friendly staff, good location, great water pressure and good food). However, these are the things that I would like to change about the hotel: (1) Balcony view is of a construction rubbish heap and a schoolyard rubbish heap—they burn the trash pile and the smoke blows up onto the balcony; (2) Drainage system and ergonomics in the bathroom are inadequate—the shower basin is on a raised area, so water runs everywhere and there are no shelves or hooks in the bathroom to put your stuff on. I took a ten-minute shower and the bathroom flooded and the water ran out into the main room and got a lot of my stuff wet. A few design improvements could easily fix the water problem. (3) Flies and mosquitoes—there were a few more bugs than what I’m comfortable with for a $25 place. I think it would be easy to buy an electric zapper to take care of this. (4) Stairs—I don’t mind stairs, but I was on holiday with my 65-year-old mother and she had some problem getting up and down the stairs. (5) English—this place is new, so you have to work a little to communicate with the staff.

I am not writing this review to be mean or spiteful. I might stay here again, but it would be with people who are suited to the environment and at a lower price. When I book a hotel I simply want to know exactly what I’m getting and I hope this review helps people make a decision that meets their needs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Heng99, Manager at Golden Butterfly Villa, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear AhnToutatis,

Thank your constructive comments and suggestions. Please allow us to provide further information on some of the points that you raise.

The hotel does overlook at school. Most guests appear to enjoy the proximity of the school and and the ambient sound of children at play.
There is construction adjacent to the hotel however the main part of this work has been carried out and hopefully the remainder will be completed within the next few months on schedule. For the duration of this work we take every possible step we can to ensure that we minimize any inconvenience to any of our guests - specifically we do our utmost to ensure that the work start and finish hours do not affect the guests more than necessary. Siem Reap is a fast changing town and consequently there is construction almost everywhere.

We agree that the drainage ergonomics are not optimal. This problem affect some of our rooms and we are taking steps to ensure that there is no flooding of bathrooms. We hope that this work will be completed in the coming months.

With regards to the presence of mosquito’s we do spray regularly and are considering increasing the number of times we spray, while ensuring the comfort of our guests. We feel that there will be a marked improvement to this issue very soon.

While we can’t avoid the presence of stairs to the upper floors we are taking steps to better inform guests who are booking with us of the floor that their room is on. The stairs are safe and not especially steep, however we agree that climbing them daily may exert our older guests - however many guest do mention that they steps are good preparation in the lead up to visit the Temples!

Thank you for your kind comments and rest assured that we are taking daily steps to further improve the guest experience at Golden Butterfly. We hope that you will consider us again should you revisit Siem Reap, so we can share the improvements with you.

Wishing you safe travels.
Moun Tuorn
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Look no further if you are looking for a comfortable place with great staff in central Siem Reap.
Its a 7 minute walk to the night market and famous pub street, yet in a quiet area to not be woken by Ankgor What?
The hotel picked us up from the bus stop and organised a tuk tuk driver to take us to the temples.

Rooms were clean, spacious and food was good too.
If ever in Siem Reap will be back here.

If paying by card they do have to take it to the sister hotel and are not entirely convinved by 100$ bills so keep change or factor in for time to pay by card.

Apart from that brilliant!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Golden Butterfly Villa? Share your experiences!