“Seim Reap: Shadow of Angkor guest house” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shadow of Angkor I

You added Shadow of Angkor I to your Saves list
Shadow of Angkor I
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   353 Por Kambau Street, Module 1, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Ranked #165 of 364 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
australia
“Seim Reap: Shadow of Angkor guest house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2007

Great Kmer family run gursthouse.
Friendly, Clean , comfortable and tidy.
Our guide Mr So was informative, proud of his country and keen to show off all the temples, including out of the way and out of the town temples. Waiters and staff love to practise their English with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

A nice small hotel with a great restaurant. The rooms werent that special for the money, but they were allright. The personell was nice and helpful. The internet at shadow of angkor was expensive, but on the other hand it worked quite well and was moderately fast. The hotel has a very good location, close to the touristy area with all the action, yet nicely behind the corner so that the noise from the pub street couldnt be heard.

Stayed October 2007
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

This excellent Siem Reap guesthouse has a superb location right on the riverside, just a block away from the old market (Psar Char) and the bustling tourist-friendly area around the market with its collection of Western bars and restaurants, but still quiet enough to rest & relax. Its housed in a gorgeous renovated French colonial period building and offers superb value and convenience.

The guesthouse is a family-run concern that I will visit again and again after experiencing the warm and genuine hospitality and friendliness of the owners, their family and their staff, the quality and range of the food in their new restaurant, their convenient location and great value. I stayed in one of their $7 per night rooms with a large comfortable bed, clean bathroom, hot water shower and fan, as well as a television and fridge. There's 15 rooms in all and prices go up to $20 for a triple-bed room, some with balcony.

My latest visit was in January 2007, right in the middle of the busy
tourist season and rooms were at a premium, so book ahead if you can. Nevertheless, you can take the chance of grabbing a room by popping in to see the owners, Seng Hour or Davy, but you may be out of luck. I found the owners and their family and staff will do everything they can to make your stay with them and in Siem Reap one you won't forget. Oh, and there's internet pc's available too. I will definitely be returning to the Shadow of Angkor in the future.

• Liked — The friendly welcome and helpfulness of everyone and the great location and food.
  • Disliked — No negative points at all.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2007

I stayed here for 3 nights with my mom.

Comments on the owners:

* From my email correspondence with Ly, I was promised a twin room facing the river and on the first floor. But when I got there, I was given a non river-facing room on the second floor. As expected, my elderly mother had trouble climbing the steep steps to the room.

* I told Ly that I do not need a tuk-tuk driver to meet us at the airport. Guess what? There was a driver waiting for us when we came out from the airport, holding a green ‘Shadow of Angkor’ sign. Well, we were forced to use him since he was already there. And he asked us for $12 (despite Ly saying that it costs only $10 per day). [My advice is: Take everything Ly says on email with a pinch of salt]

* The family is OK, not particularly friendly or helpful. But they did help me make 2 local calls foc.

Comments on the room:

* Our room was pretty big – we had 2 double beds.
* Bathroom was small but clean.
* We were given fresh towels everyday but we didn’t dare to use them.
* We had trouble sleeping because the mattresses were too hard and it was too noisy outside (the walls are made of wood ie we can hear the music from downstairs and next door restaurants; and our neighbours’ conversations loud and clear). You can get some peaceful sleep only between 12pm (when most shops and restaurants have closed) and 7am (before the whole city wakes up).
* We had trouble charging battery and using electrical appliances because all the power sockets in the room were so loose, the plugs keep coming out which created some sparks. It was pretty dangerous.
* There were a few PCs on the first floor. Internet access cost $1.50 an hour vs $0.75 in the internet cafes around the Old Market area.

Comments on the tuk-tuk driver:

He met us at the airport at 12pm. Took us to the hotel. Brought us to the Old Market and Central Market (initially he asked us to walk there because the guest house is pretty near to the markets). In the evening, he brought us to Angkor Wat to watch the sunset (5.30-6pm). After that, we asked him to bring us to Angkor Night Market. He didn’t know where it was and brought us to a small and dirty food market near Artisans d’Angkor instead. We asked him to wait for us while we take a quick look in the market but he asked us to walk back to the guest house because he is done for the day (and that was only 7.30pm). We refused to walk (what is the point of hiring a tuk-tuk driver when we’re expected to walk all the time?). He said OK, he’ll give us 5 minutes (only). When we reached the guest house, we paid him $12 and told him we didn’t need his services anymore (we will WALK around the area ourselves the next day). [My advice is: Tell your driver your full day itinerary before hiring him to give them a chance to say no, its too far/too late/too early to go and a chance for you to decide whether or not to hire him]

• Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jakarta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

My sister recommended me to stay in this place during our trip to Seam Reap. Little that we know, the time of year between my sister trip and mine would make a huge difference on the condition of this guesthouse. The first impression we got when we arrived there was pretty good, I mean the staff is very warm and they always think my wife as a local people instead of foreigner. Moreover, the location of this guesthouse is also very strategic; it is close to shopping area and Angkor Wat complex. And you basically can ride on Tuk-Tuk(some sort of motor driven carriage) to get to the most important locations within Siem Reap area. However about the room itself, I need to warn you about the leakage that happened during the rainy season. During a thunderstorm, our room was basically turned into swimming pool since most of our belonging can actually float around the room after the rain is over. It was a pretty awful sight since my passport and my wife documentations got all wet, and we are running out of clean clothes as well. The worst part is that they move us around to another room with the same quality-talked about a good customer service there. Finally the day we checked out from that place, we were requesting a discount for all the inconvenience we experience, and to our surprise the owner yelled back at us with some incomprehensible words. Well we don't really care anyway since we only pay $12.00 per night, but the fact of not having enough sleep and wet suitcases really turn the whole trip into a nightmare. I don't recommend any of you to stay there during rainy season even they offer a really cheap price.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Leakage
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go there during rainy season
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2006

This is a great place to stay in Siem Reap. Very friendly, family run guesthouse with wonderful restaurant attached, overlooking the river and minutes walk away from the action in the centre of town. It's not 5* luxury, but the atmosphere and charm are fantastic and value for money is the best in Siem Reap

• Liked — Friendliness and location
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2006

I definitely recommend this guesthouse for a stay in Siem Reap. Clean, spacious rooms, friendly and helpful staff, great atmosphere because lots of travellers stay here. Perfect location, one minute walk to the central market or pub street, looks right over the river with a lovely veranda to sit and watch the day go by. Restaurant serves good food. Can't do better for the price.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Shadow of Angkor I? Share your experiences!