“Very good guesthouse!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 325 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Den Haag
“Very good guesthouse!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Staff is very helpfull and friendly!

Facilities are very good: They have a very good en fast laundry service. New swimming pool. Good breakfast. Ask for tuktuk to visit Angkor!

Room: very nice!

Best adres we've been on our trip!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We booked in to Mom's guest house on January 4th to use as our base while we were seeing the temples of Angkor. The first thing the owner said to us as we arrived was that we should be sure to put our valuables in the safe as he couldn't guarantee it's safety otherwise. It sounded rather like he was saying his staff couldn't be trusted.
The whole purpose of our visit to Cambodia was to see the temples so when the owner told us he could arrange this,we went ahead and booked an early start and a full day tour for a couple of days later. Only when we went to the town did we discover we could have saved a lot of money compared to the $140 he was charging us. We didn't want to cancel our arrangements at our hotel and cause ill feeling and when we got back we went up for a sleep. We were woken up by a call from reception asking us to keep the noise down. The false ceiling that runs over all of the rooms gives no sound protection at all and it feels like everyone is in the same room.Somebody was making a lot of noise and we got the call. The next day we got back to our room after a walk to find a (very polite) note asking us to keep quiet. It is obvious that noise travels massively here,and what with the noise of very loud music from the restaurant next door it is a very difficult to sleep at normal times.

The next day we got up at 4.30am for out tour of Angkor. I went to the safe to get some cash and we went out for the day. We had bought a one day pass at 5pm the day before which lets you in to Angkor Wat for sunset and then the entire next day. This is a good and cheap way to see what i can only describe as the most awesome place i have ever seen. Angkor Wat is staggering in it's size and EVERYBODY should make the effort to see it at least once.

After a long days walking we went to town for a meal and then back to our room. When i went to our safe to put some money back,i immediately discovered a large amount of cash was missing. We had been travelling in Thailand so we had some Baht with us,we had Sterling which we had both brought and i had changed some money in to Dollars for our time in Cambodia. Some of all three currencies was gone, totalling a little over $900. We were away for three months so had been keeping a very careful check on our money and had took some out that very morning,so we knew EXACTLY what we had.

I went and found the owner and told him what had happened. His response was that he was the only other person to have our safe key and that it was impossible. He said he didn't believe me. I knew categorically what money was gone so we began to argue. More members of his family arrived including his mother,who on hearing my story laughed at me. They all talked amongst themselves in their language and then all told me i must be mistaken. The owner then said "this must be very painful for you!"

Things got rather heated and i was getting absolutely nowhere so i asked him to call the tourist police. He picked up the phone while his family continued shouting at me,and then told me the police were busy. As things deteriorated i was finally put on the phone to someone who i was told was a policeman. This person spoke very little English,and all i could really make out was that he would not be coming as it was late.

By now my wife had come downstairs,extremely upset and there was an ugly scene as she also confronted the family. The owner kept telling me it was impossible,his family and staff kept shouting at us and the mother kept laughing at me.

What could i do? I was a foreigner in their country and don't speak their language. They completely denied any involvement and then they decided that instead of coming up to our room to investigate,they were going to bed! Sometimes bad things happen and you are totally powerless, and this was one of those times. We went upstairs and packed immediately and as i couldn't find a taxi outside who would drive us the two hours to the border at Poipet, we went to our room. Totally unable to sleep we walked out of the hotel way before light and waited on a street corner until a taxi finally pulled over. We left Cambodia three hours later and travelled back to Thailand with the travellers cheques that had thankfully been ignored.

All in all,visiting Mom's guest house was terrible,costly experience. When back in Bangkok i decided to email the owner to tell him what i thought of our stay there, and his reply was that i must have dropped some money before i arrived at his house. He said it was impossible for this to happen. This though was the man who had instructed me to make sure all my valuables were secure in the safe.

I run a small business myself and am very careful with the money i earn. After counting my money that very morning, i knew exactly what had happened. Especially so after going on to Trip Advisor again and reading a story from a Norwegian guy where the exact same thing had happened to him (don't take my word,it's there for you to see for yourself) and i am positive there will have been others.

The owner obviously knew about this but told me it was all impossible. This makes him a liar,and to my mind,  if he is happy to lie about it he is probably a thief as well. I have travelled to many supposedly "poor" countries but i have never experienced theft from a safe before and i have never met such truly poor people before.

I can't promise you that you will be robbed if you stay here, but i can promise you that i and others were when we did.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Москва, Россия
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Good location you can walk to centre city in 15 min. Swimming pool is very nice but people who don't stay at the hotel can use for 3 $ per day so tends to get busy. Despite being listed our standard room did not have a balcony. Pleasant room which they clean every day, though during the 6 days they never cleaned the bathroom. Food in the swimmingpool cafe very poor and expensive therefore not recommendable. Excellent breakfast but ask for two eggs if you will be looking at temples all day. More of a hotel feel then guesthouse. Very nice owner and very good Internet connection. Overall were happy with our choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Don't be fooled by the name - Mom's is not a nurturing place, it's a business catered to the spartan $20 a room crowd. Plusses: hot water, decent wi-fi in rooms, decent breakfest, decent location on busy street but rooms are in the back, although paper-thin walls (lovemaking next door- a bonus). Downside: It does not feel special. The rooms are fairly clean, but dark. Ditto for the breakfest area. There is a lovely new pool, but don't even think about bringing your own food in (it's a business - buy their overpriced stuff). I would not return. Instead, I would walk around and pay a few more bucks (or even the same) for higher quality. Avoid booking any place in Siem Reap online - there are tons of beds (i arrived just after christmas - still plenty of rooms in this town). Demand more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Munich, Bayern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Can recommend without restrictions. Very friendly, responsive staff given that we did quite some changes to our booking. Extremely clean, well organized (e.g. they try to give you the same Tuk Tuk driver every day which helps a lot in the sea of these vehicles). Short, but fantastic, oasis like pool,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Okay so I might be a bit more picky, but I am currently living in Siem Reap and had to leave my house for a night because the landlord wanted to paint. We could've stayed, but the smell was driving me nuts.
I checked the price of Mom's on Booking.com it was $28. I called Mom's and they said a room would be $30. This is bearing in mind that Booking.com take about 40%.it seemed a bit of arbitrarily making up prices.
I though I would book a Deluxe at Mom's. If it is Deluxe I don't know what standard is. The advertised "balcony" doesn't have a chair and looks into someone's back yard.
Breakfast, well I asked for an omelette and got one egg with some baguette. And cold coffee.
Also, No one told me there was wifi and I only noticed when I saw the router the following day. Thanks guys. Not.
Next morning I had an appt at 2pm and check-out was at 12pm. I asked if I could just lay by the pool for an hour and a half to which I was told no, I have to pay $3 because all the "paying clients" don't get to use the pool because there are so "many people who have checked out and are laying around waiting for the night bus". Actually, I saw 2 other guests at the pool. Funny though, when I asked again in Khmer, the price dropped a dollar. If you want to save money in Cambodia, learn some language.
The pool was nice and probably what makes the place get higher reviews. Overall, Mom's is okay, but if you want a pool, stay somewhere more expensive but 100 times nicer, like Pippeli Pensionne. If you want friendly and cheap, stay at Rosy Guesthouse.

• Stayed December 2012
Nottingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed here about 6 years ago and went back in November 2012 - the placed has changed and grown and the service much improved. Previously there was no breakfast or pool and the place was smaller, and the staff not always helpful. All staff were polite and friendly (which wasn't necessarily the case 6 years ago!) and the rooms kept very clean and comfortable. I prefer this side of town as its quiet but still accessible to get to the busier parts and the temples no problem. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel, especially as it now has a pool. I felt safe for myself and my belongings here and its great value. The owner was super helpful via all e mail bookings prior to our stay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer part of the building were better than the ones in the "old" area...