“Best hostel in Cambodia!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap
No19, Mondul 2 | Khoum Svay Dangkom, Siem Reap 0011, Cambodia   |
Ranked #13 of 135 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Zermatt, Switzerland
“Best hostel in Cambodia!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I mean central location, good value for money, friendly staff, delicious food and roof top beach bar...it does not get better, this hostel is one of the best I have ever been to. Every night at the bar there is something different going on, and you ll end up knowing everyone in there before you know it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Adam293925, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thanks very much for your gracious review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The team at Mad Monkey are ace! They are very friendly, willing to show you a good time and happy to have a chat. They live up to their awesome reputation so you do need to book quickly. Even if you make a mistake with your booking (which I did) they will do their best to accommodate your needs based on their current availability if you want to change it.
My Aussie mate and I stayed in a twin room which was awesome. There is always hot water, not that you really need it in the Cambodian heat. It was also extremely clean and housekeeping cleaned our room for us everyday which we weren’t expecting after other hostel experiences. Another major positive was the rooftop bar where you can escape for a few drinks even if you don’t live at the guesthouse. The hostel isn’t far from Pub Street so you can head over after dinner for a few pre drinks. The bar staff bring the beach to you with a rooftop bar full of sand, hammocks, a very nice deck and a decent happy hour. The bar staff are more cheeky monkeys than mad monkeys haha.
They told us a pool should be finished by October. The big name hotels in the area will have some competition as MM will have it all at very affordable rates!
I cant say it enough but the team are awesome and some staff occasionally visit their Phnom Penh sister hostel. They keep in contact with any travelers/volunteers here so you can count on seeing a friendly face from MM again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Well we were delighted to host you! We love cool guests that enjoy their stay here - 95% of our guests have a great time so i am ecstatic that you are in the majority! Have a fab trip around Asia ! Take care and we hope to see you again soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

The Mad Monkey is very backpacker-friendly, everything is available to make our lives easy and comfortable: super clean dorms, large and comfy beds, large lockers, laundry, post, money exchange services, tours on offer, bus booking. The only thing is that the common area is the Mad Monkey's restaurant and rooftop bars which really feel as such, rather than areas where you can hang out comfortably. I didn't find it was as conducive to meeting people as in other hostels. Lovely staff, always ready to help.

Room Tip: The twin bedroom has no window, I much preferred the mixed 'Gibbon' dorm which conveniently...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
What a gem of a review! Good people have a good time here and you were a fantastic guest! Thanks again and we really hope you enjoy your trip!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I spent my time in Siem Reap with the monkeys after an amazing time in Phnom Penh with the monkeys as well! The beach bar on the roof blew me away and the staff were genuinely amazing again! Made a mistake and booked my coach tickets with an external co (regret), but the staff were still so helpful when they didn't have to help me with the follow ups! Will book everything with them in the future! Will visit the place if I ever go back!!

• Stayed September 2013
We are very appreciative of your kind review! We do trust you will have an awesome time on your trip and we look forward to your return! Thanks again and dont be a stranger!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

The dorms are clean, well air conditioned, and reliably priced. In terms of dorms I don't think it gets much better. What really impressed me though was that it seems like the local. staff is treated very well and is very happy to be employed there. I think management genuinely cares about their employees, and it really shows in how friendly and helpful they all are. It's reassuring to know and makes your stay a lot more enjoyable, as this isn't always the case in a lot of places. I would definitely recommend it to anyone coming through the are.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review! We are looking forward to seeing you again! In 90% of cases its the guest that defines how much of a great time they have here and you were an awesome guest! Thanks so much - please do come back soon!
Battambang, Cambodge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have been travelling for years now and this is the 2nd time I am stuck in a place. This place is the 2nd best hostel I ever been after one in Chengdu, China.
The best : great service, very nice staff, very friendly owners... what else, the room are very nice, comfortable and CLEAN ! The smell of the bedsheet after a long day in the temple make you sleep like at home ;)
I would recommend the Mad Monkey Hostel to everyone. The only think I didn't like is I came too early because a swimming pool is almost finish. I is going to be even better.
I really hope I can go again to have a drink or two on the roof top and watch the sunset !
Thanks to the Mad people from Siem Reap :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Stevevaile, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks for an awesome review! We hope you come back and visit us soon! These reviews really do matter to us and they are always read and considered. We are pleased you had a great time here, thanks again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

After having the time if my life in the other mad monkey- I was so excited to experience this one.
Unfortunately was not as good at all!!!! Dorm was far more smaller and cramped with cot beds all beside each other in a line- unlike the other mad monkey where one side of your bed is always against a wall.
Air conditioner broken!
Although that's not the reason I marked this hostel down so low...
The main reason was the food!!!
In the other mad monkey sure- it was expensive but always good-
Here in siem reap I ordered narchos for almost $4! The were corn chips covered in cheese with two jalapeños and about one table spoon of Refried beans and one teaspoon of salsa. SOOOO DISAPPOINTING!!! Next night ordered beef fillet for $6. It was absolutely awful. Thin as paper like a shintzel, cut into strips. Well done (although I asked for rare) it was not by any stretch of the imagination a fillet steak.
Sure they say complain and they'll redo it- but the language barrier plus the obvious fact that that was how the dish was made there just made me not bother.

Most of the staff were lovely but the young girl I interacted with most was rude. Not only to me but everyone. I even smiled at her many times and she just ignored me.

Totally over priced. Awful food. Just nothing like the other mad monkey at all.
I'm still really annoyed by that "steak" $6.....i never spend that much! just wanted a treat and boy what a let down. the people I was sitting with were horrified by it too and mentioned they never ordered food here because so poor quality and over priced.

Feel awful writing a review like this but is simply the reality.
Wrote a great review for the other mad monkey...

• Stayed September 2013
Adam293925, Owner at Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am the founder and one of the owners of Mad Monkey, firstly I wanted to thank you personally for your review and feedback, please be assured that i listen and act on all of our guest feedback. I am genuinely sorry that unlike 95% of our gusts you didn't have a fantastic time here. I wanted to address all of the issues individually, regarding the F&B issues I am personally reviewing the menu with our chef today, obviously for $6 you are not going to get a premium beefsteak, that being said if its not up to standard I will remove it from the menu, the same with the Nachos. The beds we have in Siem Reap are exactly the same specification we have in Phnom Penh. Had you told us the AC was broken the same day we would have fixed it the same day. The key thing that I was concerned about was the staff member being rude to you, I was so concerned that i personally spoke to the member of staff in question today, as I understand it, you were really not very polite to her and pretty mean, that being said I have asked her to just smile more when guests are mean to her, even though she probably wanted to Karatie kick you in the face, she just doesn't have the skills, I have given her some Chuck Norris videos but she still cant quite get her leg up high enough or fast enough to really make an impact, so we figured smiling more was probably just a better strategy for everyone. I really hope you enjoy your travels, thank you for staying at The Mad Monkey, have an awesome time and enjoy every moment! Thank you XX

Been to Mad Monkey Hostel Siem Reap? Share your experiences!