“Victoria Angkor revisited” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 228 Hotels in Siem Reap
Madrid, Spain
“Victoria Angkor revisited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

In January of 2012 I wrote that this hotel was the best I had ever been to. Logically I decided to go back to this same hotel some eleven months later, only this time to stay a little longer: 10 days. I think it's only fair to write a new report to confirm the optimal rating of the first one even if it is not going to be of much use to anyone because I've learned the hotel is fully booked for the coming months. This second time we admired even more than the first the elegance of the public areas.

This time I've checked that wi-fi works beautifully all over the hotel facilities even in the hotel limousines that bring you from and take you to the airport. I don't know if this was previously available because we didn't bring smartphones when we came in January.

So, the good news is that everything is fine as it was at the beginning of the year.
The bad news is that prices have gone up (or special offers have disappeared). This is only logical because the popularity of Siem Reap as a tourist destination seems to be soaring worldwide and this hotel seems to be acquiring a worldwide reputation, judging from the national diversity of the guests, some even coming from very distant countries such as Mexico or Brazil.

However, this hotel is showing some little negative signs which are typical of a successful venture that considers its success is immune to minor quality cuts.

One is that the Eau de Vittel has been taken off the breakfast buffet (although, when I pointed that out to the manager, they were kind enough to serve us a free bottle every day). The good Reblochon de Savoie cheese is still there.

Another is exemplified by the Christmas Eve dinner at the hotel (85$ per person). The garden was beautifully appointed for the occasion, food was good and varied and the live music played was extremely pleasant and adequate. However, the wine was terrible and you were entitled to only one small glass per person.

A third one was that there were two missing dice (and the doubling dice) from the beautiful wooden backgammon table. We pointed it out to the staff to no avail.

These are small things so if you don't play backgammon, don't drink wine and you cannot tell the difference between Eau de Vittel and other kinds of drinkable water, this hotel is 100% for you...if you can find a room.

Room Tip: Definitely choose rooms on the ground floor, which have kind of a private garden. Rooms #003 and #01...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Luohuanma,

Thank you very much for your extensive review and it would appear that, on the whole, you had a great stay.

However, there are obviously a few things we need to address, though there are also a couple pf things I would like to asure you are not a sign of standards going down:

Our rates have not really gone up, and have not done so for 3 years. However, we do have a peak season rate over Christmas; on your first visit you came a little later.

I can asure you that we have never had Vittel on the breakfast buffet; at least not in the 4 years I have been here. We do serve a perfectly drinkable local mineral water and have no plans to change that at this time.

I will look into our wine selection for next Christmas; I am sure we can change the wine offered though I did not have any other negative comments. It is unlikely that we will serve free-low wine in the future though. USD 85.00 is not a lot of money, not even in Siem Reap, considering we had items such as imported Oysters, Sashimi, meats, and cheeses on offer.

I will certainly have the backgammon dice replaced; I do agree that the staff did not react very well here.

Luohuanma, once again for your review and I do hope to be able to see you at the Victoria Angor again; above points not withstanding.

Until then, save travels.

Hanno Stamm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel and spa on a park bordered by one of the old royal mansions. The rooms are large and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and the pool tasteful. The public areas are impressive. Breakfast is served overlooking the saltwater pool and there with a similar view. Happy hour is daily with half price drinks - $3. You are just outside town with a cheap tuku ride there. You are close to Ankor Wat and its magnificent ruins. The service is good and there is a stand within the lobby that offers local crafts made by Cambodians with disabling injuries. I would highly suggest that you stay here while in the region.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear David R,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write your review.

You obviously enjoyed your stay and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again should your travels take you to Siem Reap once more.

Bets regards,

Abingdon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is our favourite place in Siem Reap, it compliments well the majesty and character of the temples of Angor but is a haven of peace and good service.

The breakfast is the simply the best (certainly for a westerner) that I have ever had.

The location is central to the Royal Palace and river though you will need a Tuk Tuk to the market area unless you like a good walk.

We have been there a few times and hope to go back.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear TonyG998,

Thank you very much for staying at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa again; I am obviously glad to hear that you are still happy with our services and facilities.

See you next time in Siem Reap!

Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a three night stay at the Victoria Angkor Resort at the end of November for the conclusion of a two week adventure through Vietnam. From the minute that we arrived in the lobby, we were impressed with the attentive service of the staff and the authentic, elegant decor of the resort!

Service: Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted with a cool drink and quickly checked in, as we relaxed in a lobby sofa. This attention to detail and customer satisfaction persisted throughout our too short stay. Every evening, in addition to turndown service and exchange of towels, our room was left with two token gifts with a message expressing appreciation for our visit - a nice, thoughtful touch. In addition, each member of the hotel staff was pleasant, kind, and quick to accommodate any request with a smile. An example - I decided last minute to indulge in a massage on our last evening at the resort, presenting to the spa desk at 6pm without much hope of securing a reservation. Without hesitation, the spa attendant agreed to accomodate me (and at any time that I wished!). In fact, she agreed to stay late to personally attend to my massage.

Hotel Facilities: The open-air lobby is spacious and well-appointed to accommodate the large number of visitors arriving & departing on a daily basis without ever feeling crowded. The rest of the resort is beautifully laid out - open air hallways displaying exquisite traditional art and handicrafts, guest rooms with patios overlooking lushly landscaped gardens and/or pool, immaculate saltwater pool with plenty of seating and attentive service, etc. Guest rooms are large, clean, and well-appointed, with powerful air-conditioning - a comfortable retreat after touring the temples in the hot sun! Overall, we found the resort to be an oasis of peace, tranquility, and exotic luxury. We looked forward to returning every afternoon after our tours, to soak in the atmosphere and relax by the pool. At night, candles, lights, and lanterns transform the resort into a magical place!

Obviously, we really enjoyed our stay at The Victoria Angkor Resort and only wish that we could have stayed a few more days! Not only was it one of our favorite hotels during this 2 week vacation, but it is also one of our all-time favorite hotels among all of our travels! If you are planning to visit Siem Reap, we highly recommend that you stay here - you will not be disappointed!

Few tips that we learned from our stay -

1. The tuk-tuks are a quick, easy way to travel into the town of Siem Reap. While it is within walking distance, it is hot in Siem Reap, even at night. At first, we were concerned about the safety of the tuk-tuks, but found drivers to be conscientious, careful, and friendly. For only $2, we could ride from the resort to the middle of the town. For us, it was well-worth it.
2. There is absolutely no need to have Cambodian currency. Everything is priced in US dollars. Bring a lot of $1 bills (we brought at least $200-300) not just for tips, but also to pay for small items like soda or snacks. While ATMs are available, I think that they only dispense local currency.
3. If you will need a late check-out (hotel check out is 12noon), ask as soon as you arrive. Perhaps they will be able to accommodate. We did not request to extend our check out (by 1.5 hrs) until the day before and,despite multiple requests by different staff members, the hotel was unable to allow us the extra time. Apparently, the hotel was fully booked with a large tour group expected to arrive shortly after 12noon and our room was reserved for them.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool or garden higher than the ground floor are ideal
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Christine M,

Thank you very much for your extensive and detailed review. Your comments help me and my associates to continuously work on our services and facilities; it will certainly be a pleasure to share your remarks with them.

We always try do grant late check-outs wherever possible. However, sometimes we just cannot accommodate these requests. The period you stayed with us is very much high season and we obviously need to make sure that we can check-in incoming guests if it is past check-in time.

You are right about not having to change into the local currency. I would just like to add that the ANZ ATM's do give a choice of Riel or US Dollars.

I do hope to see you at the Victoria Angkor Resort again and wish you save travels.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Spent a couple of days here whilst visiting Angkor Wat. It's a delightful hotel in every respect; beautifully appointed, charming and very well run. Wifi is free and fast, staff are delightful, rooms great ( though the beds/pillows aren't ideal) and the buffet breakfast is extraordinary.

There is a lovely saltwater pool in a beautiful garden setting and the hotel itself is very close to other restaurants and the main street.

It's easy to rent a tuk- tuk (seats 4) to go to Angkor. The site itself is huge so what happens is that you essentially rent the guy for the day and he drives you between temples. Expect to pay $15-$20 for this. They dont really offer a drop-off rate so this is the way it is and its actually a useful arrangement in this case.

A couple of other notes for travelling into Siem Reap. If you arrive on an international flight you dont actually need a passport photo for the visa on arrival even if the form suggests you do....the Immigration people will simply charge you $1 extra on top of the $20US visa fee. Some guidebooks define this extra $ as a 'fine' but in reality it's just a fee and quite frankly at $1 it's cheaper and less hassle then getting a passport photo anyway.

Secondly, carry lots of low denomination US $'s with you....it'll make life much easier for you and as cash machines dispense $US's anyway you're not really going to use local money much.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear NeilOakshott,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write your review, any feedback is always much appreciated.

Great that you pointed out how not having a photo for the visa works. I sometimes have guests complaining about the "rip-off" or "corruption" but, as you pointed out, this is just a fee. In many countries they would not even let you in if you did not have a photo.

I do hope to see you at the Victoria Angkor again and wish you all the best for 2013.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were very pleased with our choice to stay at the Victoria. Communication with the hotel for reservations was efficient and responsive.

The pool was great and I was very happy that it was a proper saltwater pool, which is so much more pleasant to swim in than chlorine.

Food was yum - we tried the pool menu, kids menu, bistro, bar and the french restaurant, and all were nice. I would especially recommend the salads and fresh juices from the bistro and pool menu. So nice to see some healthy options available.

Kids play room was small but well equipped and the staff were lovely. Best for kids 1-7 years.

We were also impressed that they put on a lovely little buffet spread just for the kids on Christmas Eve (since the buffet dinner was too late for the little ones). The hotel put in a huge amount of effort to beautifully transform the pool area for the Christmas Eve buffet. They even put a stage over the kids pool and had a string quartet playing! It was the most incredible buffet I've ever been to. They had EVERYTHING imaginable.

Only some minor issues - not enough to make me not want to go back.

1. Not enough staff at the pool area. Service could be a little slow and disorganised sometimes.
2. I went for a massage at the spa. I was shown to a room, told to get my gear off and that was it. At other hotel spas the service is a little more discreet, and you at least have the option of some paper underwear and robe. Not for the very modest or squeamish - be aware that a full body massage means exactly that. Some might like it but I didn't feel particularly relaxed after that experience!
3. Our final impression was not a very good one because on 26/12 we had an airport pick-up at lunch time and decided to have a quick meal at the bistro before heading to the airport. I ordered a salad for myself and a kid's meal. The salad came with 2 glasses of milk which was a little odd, but I figured it was part of the kids meal. I finished my salad, no kids meal. I kept asking the bistro staff when the meal would arrive, because the van was waiting. I simply could not get a straight answer - of the 3 girls in the restaurant, not one could tell me if the order had been placed or not. As a result, I continued to wait, not realising that it was never going to come because somehow a 'kids meal' had become 'milk'! I guess my accent had caused a misunderstanding. Nevertheless when I asked them, again and again, to tell me if the meal was coming or not, they clammed up, got surly and pouted and wouldn't answer me. I live in Asia and I recognise an unwillingness in some Asian cultures to say no or admit mistake, so perhaps this is what was going on. But I was very irritated and just wanted a straight answer so I could leave and get to the airport! I left the hotel quite angry about that. If they had given me a straight answer and apologised for their mistake, it wouldn't have been such an issue. Perhaps something for the FOB manager to address with his staff members.

This aside, most of the staff were wonderful and we really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear oz_merc,

Thank you very much for your exhaustive review; whilst you obviously enjoyed your stay; there were just as obviously a few points that my department heads and I need to address:

I am sorry to hear that the service at the pool was not as efficient as it should have been. Whilst it was very busy during the time you stayed with us, this is no excuse and I will ensure to have more staff available during the high season. As a matter of fact, there is enough staff, but the ladies are reluctant to help out at the pool as they do not want to turn "black". I will find a solution.

The Spa staff should have offered you paper underwear; I will find out why that was not done. We had a Spa Manager come earlier this year to do some training but it would appear that more training is needed.

I had heard about the difficulties you had in the restaurant; but by then you had already left. I meet with all the restaurant staff twice daily to practice the menu, English, and the different aspects of service. A message that recurs all the time is that the waitresses and waiters must repeat the order. English skill do have room for improvement and I want all orders to be repeated to avoid misunderstandings like the ones that you fell victim to.i am very annoyed that this was obviously not done in your case.

Once again, I do apologize for the troubles you had during your stay and can only hope that it did not mar your visit to Siem Reap too much.

Dear oz_merc, I take the opportunity to wish you and your family the very best for 2013 and do hope that we will see you in Siem Reap again.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We were in Siem Reap for the Angkor Wat Half Marathon and extended our stay to make it a short vacation as well. The hotel was part of the half marathon package that we got and we just booked the extra nights there as well because we were too lazy to look elsewhere. The airport pick-up was included. The car was a later model Japanese SUV - clean and well-maintained. The best surprise was that there was free WiFi in the car! The driver was very service-oriented and helpful. He had noticed me picking up brochures for prepaid cellular phone services and suggested that we only needed to get voice packages as free WiFi was pretty much available everywhere. He also drove in a considerate and safe manner.
Upon arrival we found the Victoria Angkor to be an older colonial style hotel with reminded me of country houses in the French countryside - lots of wood and ochre-painted walls. The staff were courteous and most important of all, well-trained. Check-in was quick and hassle-free and our luggage was brought to the room in good time. The room was great except for one major deficiency - the airconditioning didn't work well at night. Apparently it has to do with the location of the compressors as explained by the hotel manager. This is in the process of being remedied gradually as pointed out by the hotel manager. Anyway, this deficiency and the not so well-trained spa masseuse are the reasons for me not rating this hotel as excellent. When we told the front desk about the sink draining really slowly, it got fixed really quickly. All throughout our stay we found that we never had to repeat any request to the hotel staff. All the rooms surround the swimming pool but there wasn't too much noise at all. Wasn't much noise from the street as well.
The breakfast buffet spread is very good and came with free flow of champagne - what a great way to start the day. While happy hour prices at the hotel bar weren't the best, the canape buffet makes up for that. We didn't eat at the hotel's French bistrot at all so can't comment on that.
The location is convenient and in a relatively less congested part of town with the park right out in front and the river nearby. It takes 5 mins to get to the Old Market or Pub Street by tuk-tuk, costing only a buck or two.

Room Tip: Specify a room with fully-functioning aircon
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear skive,

I do hope you were not too sore after the Half Marathon?

Thank you very much for your very kind review; you obviously did enjoy your stay (though I do apologize for the problems with the air conditioning). I will also follow up your remarks concerning the Spa. And I certainly will pass on your comments to the driver that picked you up. You have seen the driving in Cambodia, a cautious driver is rarer than gold here.

I do hope to see you for the Half Marathon in 2013, with a bit of luck it will be cooler than this year.

Until then, I wish you the very best for 2013: success, health, and a new personal best time for a Half Marathon.

Regards,

Hanno

Been to Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!