“Wonderful staff with first class service” 4 of 5 stars

Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Central Park, Siem Reap 93145, Cambodia   |
Ranked #22 of 231 Hotels in Siem Reap
shropshire
“Wonderful staff with first class service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

Excellent hotel with first class facilities.Staff are very attentive,friendly and efficient.Food qualty and range on offer is very good.Good location in centre of town within easy reach of temples.Price - expensive for Cambodia.Highly recommended and would return.

Room Tip: Just request an upgrade at check-in.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear laguna 29,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Just as an aside: our facilities and services are not really expensive for Cambodia and we compare quite favorably to other hotels in our category. We are certainly more expensive than a local restaurant, but then we also invested, and still invest, a lot more into facilities, training, staff, and purchasing. As in most countries, 5-star hotels do have a different price level from smaller, local, enterprises but I do believe that Siem Reap in particular is probably one of the most competitive destinations when it comes to top services and facilities at reasonable prices.

I do hope to see you again at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa,

Hanno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

Having stayed in Victoria Angkor resort & spa for 3 days, I was totally fascinated by this charming hotel with its colonial wodden design, retro and elegant. The hotel lobby is well decorated, and you are invited to sit down at the lobby immediately so that you don't have to stand by the reception desk while checking in, and a delicious welcoming drink is soon offered by their friendly staff.

While entering the hotel area, the swimming pool is immediately eye- catching, it's well surrounded by lots of greens and a fantastic pool-side bar is just nearby, everything is so well combined that makes wondering I'm escaping to a pond in a forest. My room has a private balcony facing of pool, spending a whole afternoon on my lounge sofa seems to be a good idea, there you can see kids playing in the pool and enjoy the great sunset with your Angkor beer.

I've heard that someone has problems with water pressure in taking shower, but for me it didn't happen, the shower is good, and I got really hot water and high water pressures. The shampoo and bathing gels are the same as their "Lotus Blanc Spa", the green tea fragrance is so nice and relaxing.

The buffet breakfast is excellent with a huge choice of eastern and western dishes, whether you like fresh salads, fruits, or over twenty choices of breads/ baguettes/ cakes, and plus they offer Asian noodles, eggs and pancakes to order. Besides lots choices of fresh fruit juices, teas and coffees, they even offer sparkling wine in good quality for free so that you can make your own "Mimosa" or "Kir" for a wonderful beginning of your day. This is absolutely the best buffet breakfast ever in my life.

There's one thing which I'm not sure if it's pros or cons, that the hotel staff always enters immediately as soon as I go out, so "every time" when I came back they already arrange everything for me, and I don't know if there's somebody "spying" me... (lol) I think it's quite thoughtful, but sometimes feel embarrassed to let anyone else touch my dirty sweaty clothes.

Finally, I'm really appreciated that they helped me to call a tuk-tuk driver Mr. Rabo Yen[--], who is really nice and honest. After this trip to Siem Reap we become good friends, I strongly recommend Mr. Rabo to whom looking for a nice and professional tuk-tuk driver.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dear huangvanessa,

On behalf of the staff and myself I would like to thank you for having made the effort to write such a lengthy review.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you had almost nothing to fault. I will be honest with you: we have had problems with the water pressure in the past but we have changed the whole piping system and this is a thing of the past.

As for the staff rushing in as soon as you leave: I did speak to our Housekeeping Manager and asked him to rein in the staff a little. The staff obviously want to clean the rooms as soon as possible a they do not know when the guests might come back; but we obviously do not want to give the impression that our guests are under surveillance (they are not, let me hasten to assure you).

I look forward to welcoming you to the Victoria Angkor Resort & Soa again.

All the best,

Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

A very elegant hotel right in the middle of the city. On one side the bustling restaurants and on the other, the way to all the Angkor attractions. Lovely inviting pool at the end of the day after visiting all the temples. Good spa too.

antwerp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

We stayed there for 4 nights while on an organized trip from Vietnam to Cambodja. Great location. Very good central location. Within walking distance of central market and the new National Museum (very worthwhile!) and easy reach of Angkor. Great breakfast buffet. Good room. Friendly staff. Excellent.

Gloucestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

It's almost impossible to fault the Victoria Angkor. We were extremely happy with our stay and would go back again any day! There is a lovely atmosphere here and we liked the old-fashioned feel of the hotel, though I don't think it's actually that old!

We had a very pretty room overlooking the front entrance and the park opposite. At dusk, if we went out onto the balcony, we could see hundreds (if not thousands) of enormous bats which by day roost in the tall trees there suddenly taking flight - quite spectacular. From here one can also see a small temple amongst the trees - it's worth walking to this as it's very busy and there are stalls nearby selling lotus flowers and other temple offerings. One day I was lucky enough to see a wedding party being photographed there.

Our room had free WiFi with a good signal, which was useful to us as we have to keep an eye on our business back in the UK even when we're on holiday. We particularly liked the decorated ceramic tiles on the floor, the lotus flower arrangements, and the gifts left each night - very generous; thank you!

Sometimes we ate in Siem Reap itself (not too far to walk, but in the heat it was easier to take a pedicab for a dollar per person) but we were always very happy to eat at the outdoor restaurant overlooking the pool and grounds. The breakfasts were some of the best we've had in the whole of Asia and it was even possible to have champagne!

We also very much enjoyed the large salt water pool but (I know this has been a previous cause for complaint) it was spoiled at times by uncontrolled children diving off the stone "cliff" at one end right above the "No Diving" sign.

However, apart from this we would thoroughly recommend this hotel; it is definitely worth staying here for several days in order to explore Siem Reap and the Angkor temple sites.

Dear j1954g,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review. Obviously a positive review like that not only shows that we are on the right track, it is also very motivating to the staff and myself.

As you wrote the sometimes unruly kids have been mentioned before. We do advertise ourselves as a family-friendly hotel and I certainly welcome guest of all ages; it would be nice if parents would at times take the other guests into consideration and asked their children to behave accordingly.

Hope to see you at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa again,

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

We stayed at the Victoria Angkor for 3nights whilst we were in Siem Reap.My boyfriend and myself do a lot of travelling and have stayed in many hotels and i have to say that the Victoria was one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed in!I cannot understand how anyone can find a fault with this place!

The staff were friendly and helpful.We were always greeted with a smile.

The pool was stunning!It is a real feature being in the center courtyard.It looked beautiful when you walk through from reception down the steps.I couldn't wait to go and jump in!!

The resturant by the pool served delicious food and they had a wide variety of Khmer and western food available.The breakfast was a big buffet with just about every breakfast item you can think of.Really filled you up and prepared you for a busy day of sightseeing

Our room was decorated in a lovely dark wood and was spotless.It was cleaned everyday for us and each night we got a little gift on the bedside table.one night we had a mini package of Monkey balm which worked a treat on my itchy mosquito bites!

We will without a doubt be visiting Siem Reap again and we will definatly be staying at the Victoria!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Dear Laura,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to post a review. I am obviously very pleased to read that you had a great stay and I will certainly share your kind words with my fellow employees.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa in the not too distant future.

Hanno Stamm
Beijing
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2011

Pros: The location is very close to Angkor Wat and Angkor Tomb. Walking distance to the restaurant and bar street.
Cons: The hotel is very old. Although we booked our room with king size bed in advance, on arrival we have been given a room with two twin beds put together! Covered with dirty sheet! Which had yellow stains all over it! After complain in the middle of the night, the manager , which was very friendly and helpful, upgraded us to the maharajah suit! BUT, in both rooms the shower pressure was awful. It was impossible to take a simple shower, and forget about shampooing...
The restaurant food and breakfast was OK. Not 5 star.

After staying for two nights, we decided to move to Raffles!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
Dear SSINAA,

I would like to thank you for having taken the time to write a review. Whilst not a very favorable review, it does help us to improve our services.

I am sorry that the room was not as you expected, that is why we immediately upgraded you to a Suite. As for the rooms being old: the hotel is 7 years old, which does not make it an "old" hotel by any means.

I experienced the same problems with the water pressure (I do stay in the hotel) and we have been working very hard to fix the problem. There is no municipal water supply in Siem Reap and we need to pump the water from a well and, once treated, pump it up to the rooms. During your stay one of the pumps malfunctioned.

Once again, thank you for your valuable input.

Regards,

Hanno Stamm

Been to Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!