“Nice Property That Failed on the Big Things” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Belmond La Residence d'Angkor

You added Belmond La Residence d'Angkor to your Saves list
Belmond La Residence d'Angkor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   River Road, Siem Reap | Kingdom of Cambodia, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #17 of 230 Hotels in Siem Reap
New York
“Nice Property That Failed on the Big Things”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel is well situated with a beautiful pool and grounds, mostly very sweet and accommodating staff and a welcoming manager. Unfortunately the big thing we needed --- arrangements for an English guide and dinner reservations --- didn't come through in big ways. We paid two times the market rate for a car and English speaking guide who we couldn't understand. We told the hotel concierge about the problem who then aggressively tried to sell us another tour, which we declined. He then called our room at 11pm waking us up to tell us that the arrangements had been made. We also asked him to book a local restaurant which one day was confirmed and the next day we were told it wasn't and then were pressured to eat at the hotel. The pool deck also needs repair and screens would help to keep mosquitoes out of the rooms.

Room Tip: Room 45 looks down the entire pool area but not into another room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gm-Angkor, General Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear guest,

With great regret I read your comments and on behalf of the guide company with whom we work, please accept our delayed but most sincere apologies for these inconveniences encountered. As you could tell, the peak season caused not only ripples in the quantity of visitors, but also in the quality of guides. The guide company usually has access to the top guides in Siem Reap, alas, with a full hotel during your stay, it appears that the top tier of guides was fully reserved. I apologize for the tone of the staff who aggressively tried to sell you another tour as well as sell you a dinner on site rather than off site. We do have a list of restaurants we recommend, and I apologize that this was not offered to you. The pool deck is set to be renovated after peak season and mosquito nettings, which are provided above the bed, should certainly be installed as a screen door. We appreciate the feedback and do hope these incidences have not marred your memories of your vacation in Cambodia.

With kind regards,
Carla Petzold-Beck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying three nights with La Residence Angkor. The property is beautiful, clean and comfortable, the staff attentive and very caring, restaurants offer good food. As we were in the process of checking in we were greeted by the Hotel General Manager, Carla; a couple of days later we had the opportunity to chat with Jacques, who is the Manager in Residence. Both conversations were friendly and both offered insights into Siem Reap that were very interesting to us.

Prior to our arrival, we reserved a two day tour of Angkor Wat. We had the GOOD FORTUNE to be assigned Mr. Sor Polin. Polin was very knowledgeable, polite, understanding of western culture (us) and engaging. He was also very patient and caring. The greatest advantage was Polin's knowledge of each temples' busy time, most of the time we were leaving a temple site; just as the big tour buses were arriving! He knew the appropriate time of day to visit for the best photos at each site. Thank you POLIN!!

All in all, the hotel, the hotel's staff, restaurants on property, the cultural dancing show and our guided tours far exceeded our expectations prior to our arrival.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room. Very peaceful and comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ormond Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

To be completely fair, this is a nice enough boutique hotel, but our experience was soured by a mismanaged New Year's Eve encounter with the Assistant to the General Manager, a young Frenchman named Jacques (as in itch or strap.)

Background:
I was not happy being 'required' to prepay for this night's party as conditions for booking our room because I knew that we were leaving very early the following morning and would not be able to enjoy much of the festivities anyway. I know that some of the more exclusive hotels in these remote locations feel that they can get away with gouging their guests ( I mean providing a compulsory very expensive dinner and party their guests have to pay for whether they want to attend or not.) Down the street, the Siem Reap Raffles was extorting their guests for over 300 USD a person for their mandatory New Year's Eve party. So this situation is not unique and I had made peace with the situation and decided to make the best of it.

The Incident:
We had been in the hotel for 3 days and had been told that the restaurant would open at 6:30 for the special New Year's Eve extravaganza complete with a torch songstress and the traditional local dancers. Earlier in the trip, we had given up our tickets for a similar cultural music and dance performance because we assumed we would be seeing this one. We decided to be there right at 6:30 to ensure that we got a table outside with a view of the outside stage so we could eat early, enjoy the early part of the show and head to bed since we had to pack and had a 4 AM wake up call to catch a plane.

We arrived to an empty restaurant and were asked if we would like to sit inside or outside so we requested an outside table with a view of the stage. After a couple of awkward moments of discussion between the hostess and Jacques, he sat us at an inside table with a solid pillar and a glass wall between us and the stage... you could not see that there was a stage from where we sat... The ironic thing was that there were probably 100 empty seats outside and only 40 or 50 empty seats inside in the completely empty restaurant. Incredulous, because I KNEW he heard my request, I asked him if there was any way that we could be seated outside so that we could see and hear the entertainment. His answer was that he was sorry, but ALL of the tables outside had been pre-reserved by the guests' travel agents. (I looked to see if his nose was growing... do I really look like that much of a moron?) This is an instance where the straight forward truth would have appeased us. Had he simply said that they were taking reservations for particular tables and we simply were not savvy enough to figure that out, I would have just dropped the matter, but it seemed highly unlikely that ALL of the other hotel guests' travel agents had access to this specific seating arrangement except ours. As if we would have been able to enjoy the evening's entertainment if our travel agent had 'been on the ball.' I was disappointed but rationalized that we were planning on making it an early evening anyway so we really would not be missing too much.

Later in the evening after the food service had started, the General Manager, Carla Petzold-Beck came by and introduced herself to us and inquired as to whether we were enjoying our evening. I relayed my disappointment at making an effort to be early to get a seat to see the show only to find out that all of the seats had 'allegedly' been reserved by travel agents ahead of time. To her credit, the graceful GM was smooth about not exposing her trainee. Soon after, Jacques appeared again explaining that one of the tables by the stage had mysteriously become available... a grave illness of one of the guests... Since dinner service had started and I was already agitated and had decided to eat and run, we declined the offer to be moved outside. Little did I know that the multiple courses of dinner would be dragged out for over three EXCRUCIATING hours! I remember the food being fussy and not to my liking (salmon mousse, river fish) though the desert was served in a frozen balloon, which was a lovely and interesting presentation. I don't remember the desert itself which speaks volumes.

In hindsight, I should have agreed to be moved when they asked then I probably would have been able to enjoy the show during our prolonged dinner instead of festering over the glacially slow service AND not being able to see the show as it was going on. It was a cluster on many levels.

Obviously, there were other considerations for my overall evaluation of La Residence d'Ankor:
The Good:
-We booked a Deluxe King Pool View room that was very spacious and clean with good AC and included WIFI.
-The breakfast every morning was excellent and the service at breakfast was personable and efficient (Thank you Von.)
-The Kong Kea Spa was also excellent. Beautiful physically and treatments were of high quality.
-The room service was efficient, tasty and reasonably priced.
-The architecture and décor was local and atmospheric. The pool area truly was a sanctuary and large enough to swim laps!
The Bad:
-We hated the bathroom. The open shower in the ugly bathtub was both aesthetically unappealing (cheap looking) and functionally impractical. A person could not shower without spraying all over the rest of the bathroom so two people could not be getting ready at the same time. The vanity had only one sink that was right next to where the shower came out and was very awkwardly designed. The toilet had one of those really cheap plastic flimsy seats that I feared would break whenever I sat on it. The towels and toiletries were of good quality.
-The bed was painfully hard. It felt just like a box spring; like someone had forgotten the crucial mattress part of the bed.
Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Gm-Angkor, General Manager at Belmond La Residence d'Angkor, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Gentlemen,

I certainly regret seeing the state of your discontent being relived again through this report. I recall our interaction quite vividly and in positive nature and as I mentioned then, I could unfortunately not undo what had been done. Nevertheless, on behalf of the team members who served you that eve, I can only profusely and personally apologize for causing you such a negative year end experience. Whilst you do say you would not return to stay with us, I do fervently hope this ordeal did not mar your memories of this awe-inspiring Kingdom as a whole.

With sincerest apologies,
Carla Petzold-Beck
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have just come home after a wonderful 3-night stay at La Residence d'Angkor. Unlike my previous trip to Siem Reap in October 2013 when I stayed at a different hotel and did a fair amount of sightseeing, this trip was purely to relax and unwind after 2 hectic months in KL. So glad I chose La Residence! Despite it being close to Angkor Wat, restaurants and shops (and on a relatively busy street), a feeling of serenity envelopes you as soon as you walk in: an oasis in the middle of the city! The hotel is big enough to have all the facilities of a large hotel, yet small enough to offer personalized luxury. The decor of the entire hotel is warm and inviting - a welcome change from some of the colder/minimalist designs that some 5* hotels now favour - and my room, a King Garden View room, was spacious and comfortable, even affording me a relatively private balcony. Breakfast at Circle was a delight every morning, with a good selection buffet style (do try their homemade yogurt - its literally to die for!), plus various a la carte dishes to suit all palates. Did not get a chance to have dinner at Circle, but did have lunches at Ember and Martini bar (Ember and Martini share the same menu). I selected local salads and lamb dishes, all fresh and tasty! Highly recommend their spa - an oasis within the oasis - and their pool, set within a lovely courtyard. It's easy to while away an entire day alternating between poolside and spa! Was also impressed with the high level of service at the hotel. Genuinely friendly staff who do their best to make your day a good day (a special thank you to housekeeping for alerting me that I had left my iPhone in the room charger when I was about to check out!). The front desk staff also recommended special restaurants, shops and markets which made my stay even more memorable. La Residence is simply a wonderful place to stay, whether for temple-hopping, business or luxurious R&Rs. it will definitely be my first choice if I travel to Siem Reap again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Millbrook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Excellent hotel with a wonderful location. Just a short walk from shopping and restaurants. We had a beautiful room overlooking the lovely pool. The staff is incredible. The restaurant is good. The menu is a bit limited. Martini bar is quite nice with great photos of Angkor Wat and other Asian sites. Sorry I didn't get to use the spa...but I had a 15 minutes free massage poolside!

Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

We were delighted with every aspect of this hotel. Beautifully-designed, new but in relatively "local" decorative style. Seemed smaller than it was in reality....truly "boutique". Lovely pool, great spa services, and generally the lush retreat promised. Rooms well-designed for space and privacy (we were in the back away from the road) and the only minor quibble was a bit-tired bathroom materials. Breakfast buffet was sensational in quality and variety; best we have had on our week so far. Prices for spa and on-site restaurant were, surprisingly, on par with luxury hotels in major cities, which made them relatively high -- but they were good. We could walk to the night markets and local restaurants, so being "across the river" was all benefit and no downside. Service throughout pleasant and good. We heartily recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We were happy with our second-floor room in back overlooking the pool.
Montecito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

On our journey to Cambodia to see the magnificent Angkor Wat,we stayed at this lovely spot. The staff was ever helpful,the room was large,cool and comfortable,and the bath was just the right size for two.The pool was very refreshing and the food was well presented and tasty...breakfast was especially good. I would surely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Belmond La Residence d'Angkor? Share your experiences!