From the moment I checked in, the thought popped into mind, "Uh, OK, may I check in and never, ever leave?" All of the staff have perfected a balance of grace, friendliness, warmth and professionalism. It seemed within the first 1/2 hour, everyone knew my first name. Such a welcoming ambience.
Was in Room #8 (very spacious, luxurious bathroom as big as the bedroom, very precise air-conditioning) on the ground floor, a few steps from the simply sublime pool. The pool is such a work of art, perfectly reflecting the stunning tropical foliage that you almost, almost, don't want to jump in and cause a ripple. But jump in, you will! The water is refreshingly cool, the perfect antidote to January's "cool season" 32C-with-37C-humidex temperatures. Though my room was close to the road, I was never bothered by any road noise due to the high, thick wall.
One day, I forgot to lock my room safe. The cleaning staff alerted security, who changed the code and locked the safe. Then, they accompanied me to the room upon my return to verify that all was in order. All with no prompting from me. Very professional!
The restaurant offers equally nice indoor (with AC) or outdoor (perfect in the morning and evening) dining with a very nice "apsara" dance performance 3 nights/week. Try the Khmer feast. Absolutely delicious. When a waiter spotted me one evening swatting a single mosquito, he immediately rushed over with a mosquito coil.
The upstairs open air bar is the perfect evening "chillaxing" venue. Hit happy hour and with 2 Singapore Slings for the price of one, you will be in your perfect holiday state of mind in no time. And, the heart of Siem Reap's "Pub Street" (an uber-fun United Nations crossroads of fellow travellers) is about a 15 min walk away or a super-quick 2 min "remork-moto" or tuk tuk ride. Try "For Life" restaurant, you'll dine like a king or queen, all for US $5.
The front desk staff arranged private tours for me with two outstanding guides, one local man named Morin (see my separate review on him) and one ex-pat photographer named Alessandro (see the hotel website). Both men were amazing guides who made my trip to Cambodia special and memorable.
Overall, one of my best travel experiences ... I loved every moment at La Residence d'Angkor.
- Also Known As:
- La Residence d`Angkor By Orient-Express Hotel Siem Reap
- La Residence d`Angkor By Orient-Express Hotel
- La Residence d Angkor
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Résidence d'Angkor Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia is an intimate luxury hotel near Angkor Wat, set within a leafy walled garden. From here you are ideally placed to explore Siem Reap and to visit the temples of Angkor Wat, one of the man-made wonders of the world. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Otel, Travelocity, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your La Residence d'Angkor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.