“Fabulous fortnight stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort

You added Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort to your Saves list
Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Vithei Charles De Gaulle, Khum Svay Dang Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Ranked #29 of 231 Hotels in Siem Reap
Hertfordshire
“Fabulous fortnight stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband & I stayed a fortnight at this hotel over Christmas and New Year, and had the most fantastic holiday. Nearest 5 star hotel to the Temples. Thoroughly recommend !! New Years Eve Gala was a spectacular in the hotel grounds lit by torches and fairy lights, with live music, Cambodian dancers and acrobats, ice-carving, fabulous food, market stalls selling local wares, and even a live water buffalo. We stayed in a luxury room which was very clean, well serviced and stocked, with fresh fruit and water, a fantastic big bed, and a lovely balcony. The restaurants (Citadel and Mahouts Dream) were excellent, with a wide choice of Western or Cambodian food, all beautifully presented and with excellent service and friendly staff. The Royal Court has a nightly Cambodian dancing display (Apsara etcs) which is very good. My husband put on half a stone in weight, and we would recommend the hot chocolate souffle and breakfast waffles !! The hotel grounds are lovely, and we enjoyed relaxing by the pool, with attentive and friendly (but not pestering) pool staff. The So Spa was a calm, cool oasis, and I recommend Kim for a very good massage. The bars were good, with competent staff, and a pre-dinner piano player every evening.
Many tourists only come to Siem Reap for a few days, on the Grand IndoChina Tour, and rush around the Temples, and do not have the time to enjoy the location. I would recommend coming to this hotel for a fortnight, to have more time to see the many Temples at leisure (Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, Beng Mealea, Banteay Srei, Ta Prohm, etc), see Tonle Sap, visit the Angkor National Museum (good for history and statues from the Temples), do a Quad-bike ride around the rice fields in the country-side outside Siem Reap waving at the friendly locals, Tuk Tuk to town centre market, and have time to relax and enjoy the hotel. All the hotel staff were very friendly, helpful, professional and hospitable. I would particularly commend Benoit Matanomski as Operations Manager, Chef Adam and Sandra Wieczorek Food & Beverage Manager, for looking after us so well.

Room Tip: We booked a luxury room with a balcony and huge king-size bed, and requested a quiet location, so to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Sofitel Angkor on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure having you with us over the past holidays which I sincerely hope left fund memories. I could not be happier with your recommendations of staying a few days extra in Siem Reap. I heard this so many times from our guest leaving the hotel “I wish we would have planned a longer stay in Siem Reap”. Certainly the local area has so much to offer on top of the world famous Angkor temples, and I am glad that you were able to have a full “Siem Reap Experience” during your visit. I have personally passed on all your kind comments to Kim, Sandra, Benoit & Chef Adam, they were all very pleased and sends their warmest regards. We would all love to welcome you back to the Sofitel Angkor one day! Best wishes for 2013 – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort in October 2012. We were more than satisfied with the service and the facilities of the hotel. The grounds were very well kept and manicured, and provided a very tranquil setting to relax after a long day of temple hopping. But don’t expect to be on a golf course. The golf course associated with the hotel is actually 23 km away from the hotel. The room was very comfortable, and is what you would expect from Sofitel. They also restocked the water bottles in the room every day, which was a nice touch. We had a room at the end of the building and the free wifi worked great. It was perfect to skype everyone back home.

The service was exceptional, and everyone from the housekeepers to the bell hop went out of their way to make sure our stay was comfortable. Everyone really does say “bonjour” when they pass you in the hallway, and with a sincere smile. We ate at all of the restaurants and were satisfied with the food selection and the prices. The ‘Mouhots Dream’ restaurant was a little pricey, but the service was the best we ever had and the food was amazing. ‘The Citadel’ was great and they had free nightly performances of traditional Khmer dance with dinner. Get there early, because a few minutes before the performance started, a large group of tourist came in and took over the buffet.

My wife enjoyed using the outstanding spa services, and I enjoyed the reasonable pricing. She chose several spa services which cost the same price as an hour massage back in the states. You could probably get it even cheaper downtown, but you wouldn’t be able to take a nice stroll back to your room in your robe and slippers after a relaxing spa day.

I would highly suggest taking their air conditioned airport van transfers ($10 US per person), especially if you have a lot of bags, or at least take it on your way home. We took their van when we arrived, and were met with cool towels and refreshments at the airport. We decided to save $10 US on the way back to the airport and took a tuk-tuk. It was a very hot and dusty ride to the airport. Not a good way to start the long journey back home.

We booked a day tour of the main temples through the hotel and were very satisfied with the guide and the itinerary. They tried to get us to use the larger van for $100 for the day, but we insisted on the Toyota Camry instead for just about half the price of the van (they don’t advertise the Camry). When getting a tuk-tuk I would walk outside the gates to hail our own instead of having the hotel get one for us. It seemed that the prices were higher when they made the arrangements. But even when you walk to the main road, the tuk-tuk drivers spot you right away walking out of the fancy Sofitel and up their prices, so you really have to negotiate. It seems that for a whole day temple hopping in a tuk-tuk should be about $15 US for the temples closer in, and about $25 US for the temples further away. It cost us only $2 US one way from the hotel to the main ‘Pub Street’. If you need a good English speaking tuk-tuk driver, we suggest giving Phal Phy (goes by “P”) a call. He took us around to different temples and museums, and was very friendly and allowed us to take our time without feeling rushed. (Tel: 855 (0) 93 479 317, phalphy2009@gmail.com)

Overall we were more than satisfied with everything the Sofitel had to offer, and when we do return, we will be coming back to the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience in Siem Reap and at the Sofitel Angkor on Trip Advisor. I loved your title, as I could not agree more that after temple visit and buzzing little town of Siem Reap, our hotel feels like an Oasis of peace, with our large gardens and lakes. It is so rewarding to notice that the genuine care of my team does not go unnoticed. Your message was already posted on our employee information board, and made several department very happy. I hope you have enjoyed your round of golf. I truly believe that to appreciate the Angkor Temples, one should balance the program between historical site discovery and other leisure activities. I hope that you had a safe and comfortable trip back home and that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back one day. Best wishes for 2013 – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

A very Western style resort hotel close to the centre of Siem Reap. Gardens, pools, restaurants and some entertainment made for a very enjoyable stay. Transport by tuk-tuk is cheap and fun and very easy. The market is not far away but probably safer to use a tuk-tuk rather than walk.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am glad that our facilities and services could help create an enjoyable stay with us. Though Sofitel is a French international brand, I do hope that you were able to notice our special touch and details created to allow our guests to experience with in the hotel grounds, a certain authenticity and local Khmer influences. Our Christmas decoration that you may have had the chance to see during your stay, being the perfect example of the blending of the tradition of Christmas and the local culture. Wishing you all our best for 2013 – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 5 nights over the Christmas period. The hotel has very pleasant grounds, nice food at the Citadel and through room service. Very strange servicing of the room - beds made but mini bar and tea and coffee supplies not replaced - had to ask every day for replacements.
Agree with other reviewers that suggest that the Concierge service only provide details of people they know for tours etc. the hotel had sent us details of day tours we could take so we booked for two days with car and driver and guide. The guide we had on day one told us he was doing a favour taking us out that day and spent some time on the phone - he told us he had other business to attend to so we should just keep walking around where we were and he would catch up. It then became obvious that he wanted to do something else that afternoon as he advised us that we would not have time to follow the itinerary on the hotel program for the afternoon - we had heard him making arrangements with a friend to go to Christmas drinks and dinner that evening startIng at 5pm - our tour was to finish at 5.30pm. We decided to do our own think after that - car and driver only for the rest of our 2 day program. When we spoke to the Concierge they were just not interested - they already had our money.
Would not stay here again and would not recommend.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your review about your stay at the Sofitel Angkor. I do regret to read that we did not live up to your expectations. I understand that the issues you had with your organized tour was one of the key contributing factors to making you disappointed. Certainly the behavior you describe from the tour guide is unacceptable. I would very much like to get in touch to get more details on this issue.( Please feel free to contact me directly on H3123-GM2@sofitel.com) . I have also passed on your housekeeping comments to our Executive Housekeeper who despite being very apologetic will reinforce our standards with her team.
We do hope to have the opportunity to make you experience what our hotel is all about… in the meantime, we wish you all the best for 2013 – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We were greeted on our arrival at The Sofitel by the very friendly manager after a smooth check-in. All the staff in this hotel were extremely friendly and helpful. The concierge made dinner reservations and recommended good shopping spots for us. We found the food and service at the pool excellent. The breakfast buffet consisted of a wide variety of good quality fresh food.

The accommodation was good and located on the ground floor. Some special touches were the fruit basket replenished every day and some delicious desserts on our first evening. The TV had a wide selection of channels to choose from.

The location of the hotel, close to the Angkor Wat temples, is very convenient and is also only a short tuk-tuk ride from the centre of the town.

We really enjoyed our stay at The Sofitel Phokeethra and would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear that your stay with us contributed to a holiday to remember. I particularly value your kind comments about our hotel “Ambassadors” (team) and have already shared your message with them. Best wishes for 2013 in which I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to the Sofitel Angkor – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Liked staying at this hotel but didn't leave enough of an impression to want to stay again. Would most likely try another property. This was my 2nd trip to Siem Reap and will glady return.

Super kind staff. All are hospitable and will always greet you. As they should right? Sona and Phann in the main restaurant were amazing and most attentive. Sorn and Tra were also great at resolving issues. Unfortunately there were some issues. Mostly doing with lack of attention to detail.

Check in was quick. Liked the cold towel and welcome drink. After this, found the front desk to be a bit distant and more concerned with the tour groups. Those awful tour groups. But hey, mass tourism is here. You could be in line waiting while staff was on the phone. After that call ended, they'd make another call. Seem occupied with "busy" work.

Upon arrival wanted to have breakfast. Arrived at 9:55 on the dot and was told the restaurant was closed. The actual closing time is 10:00AM. Technically they were still open. Also plenty of people inside with food still being put out for those that remained. Found this to be unprofessional and a bit counter to servicing the guest. Not a good way to start. Was told I could go eat elsewhere. Once I pointed this out, ALL at the restaurant staff went beyond service. Remembering my preferences and being well taken care of. Breakfast was excellent. Liked the variety and was not disappointed at all. Sure not the Sukhothai in Bangkok, but truly liked.

Pool service was a bit sad. Was ignored for 2 days. On the 3rd day, I made a comment to the front desk and was given the up most attention. But others around me didn't. Seems if you point out their lack of service, then you got it. Thing is, you shouldn't have to do that and it should be consistent and applied to ALL guest. Not just those that mention it out of frustration.
Always had space to lay down and relax.

Housekeeping was amazing. WOW. Worked around the clock and kept the rooms spotless. Always greeting you. Great well trained staff. Hats off to them!

Dinner buffet. Once was enough. A bit to "buffet" quality. After that, ate out or had room service. Room service food, was also OK. Nothing amazing. Did have drinks at lobby bar and lunch one day. Was the worst Phad Thai I have had in years. Went there one night for a drink and service was un-attentive. "Hello do you see me? Sorry I'm not with 10 other people, but still here...." Find Cambodians perhaps to be reserved and not out going like you might find at resorts in Mexico. Where they are always up sell the guest and are offering you endlessly. Mexicans are used to North Americans who tip for good service.

The rooms are a bit dated but not offensive at all. Not like this is a modern hotel. It has more of a local ambiance. Didn't mind the decor and was completely satisfied there. Only issues was the water temperature was inconsistent and wifi needs to be corrected. You were also being asked to sign in again. Ugggh. But hey... much better than what I am getting in Mandalay at the moment. Would take the Sofitel Siem Reap wifi over this any day.

Concierge is a bit useless. You might as well do it yourself. Maybe too busy with tour groups. They seem like they're going to work it out, but do not. Can't seem to think of a solution. That I didn't like at all. Just do it yourself if you want results.

A comment was made regarding the lobby. Found the lobby to be acceptable. Yes they have items to sell, but they were nice "art" pieces and nice to look at. Wanted to buy! Found that comment petty along with the comment about, "the staff here spoke poor English." Well maybe try learning Cambodian or stay home. When in the USA, try speaking French or German to hotel staff and see how that works out. Though I disagree about the service at the pool being excellent. Yes there was noise at New Years, but they had to set up for the night and who couldn't understand that? "Sorry we were going to have a stage and an amazing show, but someone complained." Goes to show each guest can focus on different issues. To each their own.

The gym was sad and an after thought. So so tired for 2013. Made me NOT want to work out. Touring the temples was a work out on its own so all good there. But it does need to be improved and not just tossed into a corner with what looks like equipment from the 1990's.

In the end, I thank the Sofitel for having affordable rooms available for that time of year and making my New Years one of the better ones. Was low key but memorable. Reason I'd stay elsewhere would be to compare hotels and service. The didn't capture my loyalty this time around but I'm usually happy to stay at a Sofitel over a US brand-franchise like the Hyatt ANY DAY.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on high floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your detailed review about your recent stay with us. We are always happy to receive both positive as well as constructive feedback, as it helps us to ensure constant improvement. The period of the end of year festivities is always very challenging for the hotel and the Team. Having a full hotel is never easy task and I am sorry that we were not able to provide from the beginning this attention to details we are known for. I have the chance to lead a very enthusiastic team, genuinely friendly and always willing to do well and though we are not perfect, we do try every day. I was happy to read that despite some of our shortfalls, we were able to make your New Year a memorable one, and still hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the Sofitel should you be coming back our way. May I wish you once again, on behalf of all the Sofitel Angkor Team all our BEST for 2013!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night at Sofitel Siem Reap unfortunately but as always I felt right at home. Very attentive and friendly staff and the room was great. The breakfast buffe is out of this world. Worth to go to Sofitel just for the breakfast. The surroundings are beautiful and loved the touch with the two santas in the rowing boat in the water. Actually got a Christmas feeling despite the heat. ;)

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sofitel Angkor on TripAdvisor. It certainly is pleasure to read your message, particularly your mention about our Christmas decoration. I have also passed on your kind words about the breakfast buffet to the culinary team, they were (as you can imagine) very pleased. Please let us know should you be coming our way. – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager

Been to Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort? Share your experiences!