My wife and I stayed at the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort in October 2012. We were more than satisfied with the service and the facilities of the hotel. The grounds were very well kept and manicured, and provided a very tranquil setting to relax after a long day of temple hopping. But don’t expect to be on a golf course. The golf course associated with the hotel is actually 23 km away from the hotel. The room was very comfortable, and is what you would expect from Sofitel. They also restocked the water bottles in the room every day, which was a nice touch. We had a room at the end of the building and the free wifi worked great. It was perfect to skype everyone back home.
The service was exceptional, and everyone from the housekeepers to the bell hop went out of their way to make sure our stay was comfortable. Everyone really does say “bonjour” when they pass you in the hallway, and with a sincere smile. We ate at all of the restaurants and were satisfied with the food selection and the prices. The ‘Mouhots Dream’ restaurant was a little pricey, but the service was the best we ever had and the food was amazing. ‘The Citadel’ was great and they had free nightly performances of traditional Khmer dance with dinner. Get there early, because a few minutes before the performance started, a large group of tourist came in and took over the buffet.
My wife enjoyed using the outstanding spa services, and I enjoyed the reasonable pricing. She chose several spa services which cost the same price as an hour massage back in the states. You could probably get it even cheaper downtown, but you wouldn’t be able to take a nice stroll back to your room in your robe and slippers after a relaxing spa day.
I would highly suggest taking their air conditioned airport van transfers ($10 US per person), especially if you have a lot of bags, or at least take it on your way home. We took their van when we arrived, and were met with cool towels and refreshments at the airport. We decided to save $10 US on the way back to the airport and took a tuk-tuk. It was a very hot and dusty ride to the airport. Not a good way to start the long journey back home.
We booked a day tour of the main temples through the hotel and were very satisfied with the guide and the itinerary. They tried to get us to use the larger van for $100 for the day, but we insisted on the Toyota Camry instead for just about half the price of the van (they don’t advertise the Camry). When getting a tuk-tuk I would walk outside the gates to hail our own instead of having the hotel get one for us. It seemed that the prices were higher when they made the arrangements. But even when you walk to the main road, the tuk-tuk drivers spot you right away walking out of the fancy Sofitel and up their prices, so you really have to negotiate. It seems that for a whole day temple hopping in a tuk-tuk should be about $15 US for the temples closer in, and about $25 US for the temples further away. It cost us only $2 US one way from the hotel to the main ‘Pub Street’. If you need a good English speaking tuk-tuk driver, we suggest giving Phal Phy (goes by “P”) a call. He took us around to different temples and museums, and was very friendly and allowed us to take our time without feeling rushed. (Tel: 855 (0) 93 479 317, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Overall we were more than satisfied with everything the Sofitel had to offer, and when we do return, we will be coming back to the Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in landscaped gardens on Charles de Gaulle Avenue, Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort is the closest Siem Reap hotel to the ruins of Angkor Wat. This unique Siem Reap Cambodia hotel is situated near traditional markets, tourist attractionsand the airport. Enjoy the many features of Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, including 238 rooms, a swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, five restaurants, the Phokeethra Country Club, and a world class 18 hole golf course. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Orbitz, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf Hotel Siem Reap
- Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Hotel
- Sofitel Siem Reap
- Siem Reap Sofitel