“Great escape from Siem Reap” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Upstairs Cafe

Upstairs Cafe
Wat Bo Road | Next to Reflection Hotel - Opposite Soria Moria Hotel, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 425 restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Welcome to Upstairs Cafe, a French Salon de The (tea room) opened in Decembre 2011.The story behind this project is very simple : combine my two favorite hobbies :(decoration and baking for my friends.), in one place.I would like to share with you my Mum and Grandma's recipes. These simple cakes lulled my childhood, they are all prepared with lots of love (and the best ingredients !)In addition to serving homemade cakes, delicious TWG teas and Illy coffees and refreshments, Upstairs Cafe also offers a few options for breakfast and specials for a light lunch .
Seattle, Washington
“Great escape from Siem Reap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

At some point in everyone's trip to Cambodia they will want to get the hell away from Cambodia. There's nothing wrong with this reaction. Especially considering the assault on the senses that this wonderful country provides for its visitors. The atmosphere, decor and prices are all familiarly Weatern: clean, tasteful and high. Come here to take a break from the noise and heat of SR and recharge yourself to face the charming chaos outside.

Visited September 2013

90% Recommend
Whistler, Canada
“Not sure what the fuss is about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I went here due to its high ranking on Tripadvisor but I ended up being quite disappointed. Yes the chocolate fondant cake is very nice and the decor is lovely and the setting peaceful but it was very over priced. It took them nearly 25 minutes to bring me a cheese and ham sandwich which turned out to be nothing more than a slice of processed ham between two slices of boring sliced bread. For the price I paid I was at least expecting some fresh bread, not just something out of a plastic bag. I could have got a far better sandwich for less money in Canada.

I think for some the western style decor and off-the-beaten-track location is clearly a selling point in a town where many other restaurants are very similar. It IS a lovely place, but the food a pricing will prevent me from returning.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
SarahSiemreap, Owner at Upstairs Cafe, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for visiting Upstairs Café and taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. Our guests feedback is very important to us and give us the opportunity to improve our service and offer constantly.
I'm sorry that you had to wait that long for your sandwich. The side salad that comes with the sandwich is prepared fresh on order and then the sandwich is prepared with fresh bread from a local bakery and doesn't come out of a plastic bag as you thought. I agree that 25 minutes is a bit too long and apologies for that. My staff took care of the Café on their own during two months as I was away and were doing their best.
Please bear in mind that the offer in term of supplier and product is much more limited in Cambodia compare to Canada or any other developed country, so the comparison with Canada is not very fair.
At Upstairs Café we tend to select the best ingredients for our cakes. All of them -except eggs of course- are imported and therefore more expensive, which explain our price.
On a positive note, I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and our famous chocolate fondant I've well noted you found the price (3.25$ for a slice) too pricey and will take this into consideration.
Hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again ! Thanks again for your review, All the best,
Singapore, Singapore
“Cheery cafe :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

What a beautiful and cheery café! It's a lovely place to just chill and people watch from the glass windows. The staff here are really friendly too!

Visited August 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Go upstairs to relax and unwind”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Had a cappuccino and a slice of fondant cake. They are good by Siem Reap's touristy standard. Love the homely deco.

Visited August 2013
Phnom Penh
“Best Home Made Cake in Siem Reap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Not really keen on having lunch/snacks in this nice cozy place

But their Home Made cakes are definitely the only ones in the whole Siem Reap

Definitely worth a try when it's too hot outside for Touristic Visits
Lovely Manager too, friendly and pro

• Visited March 2013