“Real Cambodian Meal” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 527 Activities in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Sorm Son and I wish to be your charming Angkor Wat Tour guide. For almost ten years I have been an Official Angor Wat Tour guide and I can help make your stay in Cambodia a fun and wondrous adventure. I am a member of the local Khmer ethnic group and was a Buddhist monk for over eleven years. This background gives me a unique perspective of Cambodian life, which I will be happy to share with you as your Angkor Wat tour guide.My University studies led to a Bachelor in Ed degree in English and I will help with any translation issues that may arise during your stay here in Siem Reap. I am also an expert on the history of the construction of the temples as well as their symbolism. As your Angkor Wat Tour Guide I can help with your special photographs. I will direct you to the best locations and positions. I am also willing to lend a helping hand as necessary.For many, coming to the Angkor Wat area is a lifelong dream and as your Angkor Way Tour Guide I will insure that your dreams are fulfilled during your trip to Wondrous Cambodia.I look forward to meeting you and hope you will let me become your personal Angkor Wat Tour Guide.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Real Cambodian Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Mr Sorm Son invited us to his house for dinner on our first night in SR. It was a scary yet thrilling experience. The road to his house is very dark (without street light).

After about 20 minutes of ride from town, our van make a turn into the middle of a forest. At this moment, all we can see is the light of the headlamp of the van. After another 5 minutes in the forest, the van came to a stop and we saw Mr Sorm waiting there.

We then walked for another 15 minutes in total darkness to his house with only torch lights. On the way to his house, my friends and I jokingly said to each other "what's the worst thing that could happen to us? wake up in the morning with a scar at the back and a missing kidney?"

Finally, we reached his house and his wife together with his brother-in-law greeted us. We then settled down in the living room = dining room = bed room. We had our dinner together with 2 other tourists. I feel so sorry for not being able to finish all the dishes as his wife cooked a lot!

Well, I have always wanted to experience their local lifestyle, see their culture, taste their food, etc. To me, ordering Cambodian meal in the local restaurant is not "Cambodian" enough, what I wanted is to taste their own home-cook food, and here I am, in the middle of no way, having dinner in a Cambodian home together with Cambodians. Its just simply PERFECT!

In short, if you really want to feel like a Cambodian, consider Mr Sorm. He is well-mannered, warm, understanding, generous, cute (especially when he is drunk), and he has a great smile indeed. Needless to say, I recommend him!

Pulau Pinang
“Amazing tour guide”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Mr Sorm Son was an amazing tour guide. He is knowledgeable about the history of Khmer. My friends and me were having good experience with him. He did an excellent job by guiding us through the less crowded paths. Mr Sorm Son showed us all the best photo taking spots and was very accommodating to our requests and interests. He is very flexible when it comes to the planning of itinerary. He invited all of us to having dinner at his house. His wife served a marvellous dinner. We didn't facing any communication difficulty as he is very proficient in english. Highly recommended!!!

Visited January 2013
“Amazing guide, amazing day!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Som gave us an wonderfull tour at Angkor. His knowledge of the sights is incredible. He is able to place individual tempels and complexes in context of the entire Khmer history. He invited us to come have diner at his place. He, his wife and his brother cooked a very tasty diner. He truly made us feel welcome in his country, culture and home (I feel no need to mention his level of English cause we didn't have a communication problem at all, ever (no, I don't speak Khmer)).

Amsterdam
“Very detailed tour with kind guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We did a one day, private tour around Angkor with mister Srom Som.
He is very knowledgable about the history and architecture of the magnificent buildings around Angkor.
A very patient man with answers to all the questions you may have.
The ride around was comfortable in a nice car. Cold water and fresh towels everytime we got in the car.
Very smoothly organised. Well done!

Dusseldorf, Germany
“Perfect 3 day private tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Friends of us recommended Son to us so we booked a 3-day tour with him between Christmas and New Year's Eve.
Even though it was high season, he managed well to direct us to sights without or with less crowds. If there were two entrances, we always entered from the backside and walkend the way to the main entrance.
During the three days we visited all main sights as well as some off the beaten track temples.
Son had a great knowledge about all sights and the history to it. He also shared a lot of interesting insights of the recent history of Cambodia which was very enriching.
After visiting a temple his driver always welcomed us with an AC cold car and fresh towels. Small but much appreciated detail.
The only fact we did not like too much was the choice of restaurants for lunch. We imagine that the value for money around the temples is not good anywhere but restaurants we ate at where just not that yummy.
Overall we had a great time and learned a lot. A tour with Son is highly recommended.

Visited December 2012