“Functional” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rithy Rine Angkor Hotel

You added Rithy Rine Angkor Hotel to your Saves list
Rithy Rine Angkor Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.0509 Wat Bo Street | Wat Bo Village, Salakomroek Commune, Siem Reap +855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #176 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
Nottingham
“Functional”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were lucky to get a room for the night here after our previous booking with another hotel was not honoured at the last minute. It was Chinese New Year and Siem Reap was completely full! So, Rithy Rine is a 5 or 6 storey building in a convenient location very close to amenities. The road itself is quiet but the wall are paper thin so you can hear the TV in the next room word for word. The room was decent enough, spacious, big bed, fridge TV and pool view. Lovely pool and well maintained. I thought the place lacked character- long dark corridors and just not a great atmosphere. Most guests are Vietnamese/Chinese coach tours who move en mass. Breakfast was poor. The staff were very helpful and friendly though.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The hotel is ok. The corridors are used as a store room for cleaners. The stair case we had to use goes through an empty dark room with chairs that seems to be a hangout spot for staff. The room was nice enough, however we didn't have a shower curtain or get supplied with a bath mat so the bathroom flooded with every shower. The pool was nice however if you want a pool towel you need to hunt down a staff member to get one. The breakfast is OK, the first day it was stone cold and the staff didn't seem to care, the next day I had a hair cooked through my food (which I had packed for an Angkor sunrise, so I couldn't send it back). Finally we booked our "speed boat" trip to Phnom Penh through reception, who arranged pickup from the hotel. When the tuktuk arrived he said to bus station we explained no the boat, when a guy from reception came over spoke to him in Khmer and said to us yes he will take you to the boat. We got taken to the bus, were told the boat had left and were stuck on a bus for the trip. Wouldn't recommend the place, for what you pay there are nicer places around.

• Stayed February 2013
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel offers "free pick up", which is seemingly an exploited/desperate tuk tuk driver hoping to secure your business for the length of your stay by doing one trip for free off his own back. As soon as we got in the tuk tuk, we received a high pressure sales pitch after spending 6 hours on the bus with no plans set out as of arriving.

Upon dropping us at the hotel, the tuk tuk driver seemed to expect a tip. Was it free pick up or not? Don't advertise free pick up if you expect a tip, which is basically the same as a payment. Perhaps instead they should have offered a cheap pick up of $1-2, as it seemed that "free trip" was going to be something the driver was determined to make up some way or another.

I should also mention the bell boy grabbed my bags and insisted on carrying them up one flight of stairs to my room for me. The guy was lucky to be half my size so I was more than capable and willing to carry my own bags as a 100kg/220lb male. Then after taking us to our room, he hung around expecting a tip for something I didn't want or need.

That night we organized with the hotel for a tour to see the temples the following day and also requested a tour guide. The following morning as we were about to depart, they advised us they had not been able to secure a tour guide. A little late perhaps? The manager's lame excuse was, "I left a message with reception, they should have told you".

Nevertheless, we went ahead with the tour against my better instincts to cancel and organise it elsewhere. What a mistake that was.

The same driver that picked us up took us of course, that's when all this started to make sense to me (I originally thought the hotel had paid the driver for the pick up which is why I didn't tip). And originally, we were very pleased with him as he was giving us good advice and I had definitely planned on tipping him. However, he showed his hand and true colors or wanting nothing more than to extract as much money as possible from us.

After Angkor Wat Temple, I asked if he would take me back to the hotel and my girlfriend would continue to tour the temples. He initially agreed, then changed his mind halfway and said it would cost an extra $5. I refused on principal because he initially agreed and I had planned to tip him generously at the end if the day, and also because I was going solo one way I could get a bike for $1, a fraction of the cost.

After refusing to pay him any extra and deciding to make my own way, he became very irate and angry, yelling at me and basically had a little tantrum because he seemingly thought the money was drying up.

I left my girlfriend with him to continue the tour and his sour mood and negative comments ruined the tour for my girlfriend. Comments such as, "if your boyfriend is worried about a dollar, two dollars, I don't know how your holiday will be", "oh, you're really making the most of the money you spent".

The driver also tried to charge her an extra $5 for sunset, which she refused and went back to the hotel instead - the hotel manager said we shouldn't have bad to, but when the driver came to the hotel to talk to me and the manager, he of course denied this.

So in summary, hotel room is really big and comfortable. However, the tour and services the hotel were so big on selling we're absolutely terrible and a huge let down which ruined our stay since our time in Siem Reap was limited after cutting back after arriving late due to illness. Good hotel to stay at, but I would suggest avoiding the services and their recommended drivers if you can and finding other reputable drivers from recommendations you can trust.

• Stayed February 2013
Bandung, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I only stayed for one night before I left Siem Reap. The front office girl insisted me to print my booking (and I had to pay for printing) despite I showed her my e-booking. She didn't even bother to write down my name/ booking code to look up on reservation list.
Well anyway, I made it to my room. Pretty comfy & sweet decorated. Right in the front of swimming pool. So it was nice in the end. I didn't manage to go to swimming pool (too exhausted, too many activities happened!) but had a great time.
Breakfast was ok, I didn't finish it since I had to catch my flight :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Bathroom is pretty bad.. Don't expect much for the price tag. Low pressure shower. Hand-held spray shower head. Drains out to the floor, so entire bathroom becomes wet. The bathtub floor was weakened in the middle and so when I stepped into it, it broke and I sliced my foot on the huge hole it made..! Because I usually do not expect to painfully injure myself when having a shower in a hotel, I have to give this place a below average rating.
See the photo for bathroom!

• Stayed January 2013
Sunshine Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Rithy Rine in Dec 2012. We had the connecting family rooms on the top floor - great value for what we paid. Huge rooms but 45 stairs to reach them - ok in the morning but after a day of exploring temples in the heat it was a bit of a strain. Pool lovely. Restaurant nothing flash but it was convenient. Laundry only $1 a kilo - a great service. Staff pretty good. We enjoyed the location as it was quiet. Bed a little hard for our liking and yes, there was a rooster crowing - although the occasional barking dogs were more annoying. Shower ok. I would recommend this hotel as a great budget choice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Springsure, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

With friendly staff - front desk, restaurant and cleaning- it was a great place to stay. Rooms spacious and clean (with the option of getting your room cleaned every day), pool excellent- clean and refreshing. Restaurant is good but breakfast is about average
While it is a bit removed from pub street and the rest of the Action, this can be a bonus if you're looking for something quieter but its an easy walk to markets etc or a tuk tuk for the weary.
Front desk spoke good English and were able to book tickets for boat to Battambang. As to be expected with hotel staff making bookings such as this, they have limited knowledge of what they are selling- big/little bus/boat, air con? How long will the trip take etc
A good place to chill out after too many temples

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking pool are a god option