“Nice position and very cheap” 4 of 5 stars

Golden Fish Guesthouse
25 Sivatha Road | Old Market & Pub Street Area, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Ranked #204 of 325 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Nice position and very cheap”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This guesthouse is what you need if you want to go to visit angkor and around siem reap.It is in the city center so at the night you can walk around siem reap easly;if you want to go to angkor just rent a bicycle or a tuk tuk.
The guesthouse is small, the room was no so clean but confortable and very very cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We ended up staying there one night because the GH around were full. It's really cheap : $6 for a double bed with fan.
But this place is just disgusting : we had to remove our shoes at the entrance, whith is totally fine, but the floor was not clean and after walking, my feet were sticky.
The room was under the roof so very hot with no window.
And it was not clean at all: stains everywhere, dust and spiders webs.
The sheets seemed clean though.
The common area could be very nice but you have to deal with full ashtrays and other craps...
There are plenty of GH in the city, avoid this one. Cheap is not an excuse for lack of hygiene.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Battambang, Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We booked a room in this guesthouse for 3 nights but we changed our plan because of the bed bugs in the matress... I spent two horrible nights in this room without window, with bad smelle and i still have the marks of the 139 stings I had... So I can't recommend this place.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Banlung, Ratanakiri, Cambodia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

As someone who has lived in Cambodia for the better part of 20 years, I have seen my share of small, cheap guesthouses. This one, however wins the prize of the worst, most overpriced hotel I've ever stayed in.

The sheets had not been washed, the room's walls, once white, were green and black with years of mold. The bathroom lacked everything one would expect to have (soap, toilet tissue, and towels, etc), and hadn't been cleaned in quite a while.

Oh, and I could talk about the smell and the friendliness of the staff, but I wouldn't want to drive you into depression.

Unless you absolutely can't find another guesthouse, there's really no reason to ever stay here. Certainly no reason to actually make reservations.You can get nicer, cleaner rooms for the same price just down the street, or at countless other places in Siem Reap.

Don't learn the hard way like me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dusseldorf, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was the worst hostel I have EVER stayed in ! We were send there by the 11 Happy Hostel in Phnom Penh, which was all in all quite nice. In Siem Reap we stayed in the "Sheraton" room.. at the end the name seemed like a bad joke to me. The room was small and there were no windows -> it was kind of dark and oppressing. The walls were completely mold-infested. Someone tried to cover it by painting all over it. This was probably why the room did not smell nice .. about two or three times per night someone put some kind of a air freshener into this small thing, looking like a fan, which connects the room to the floor. The smell was really aggressive and gave you a bad feeling breezing in. Because of that and the mold we decided to (respectively had to) put on breathing protections at night .. One time my mom saw a brown worm crawling up the wall. The bathroom was very small (what normally would not be a problem for me) but also dirty. At the first night we went to the roof bar to get something to eat. Empty Pizzaboxes and Cokebins were standing on the table and there were plenty of ants. The whole time we have been sitting there, a woman sitting in front of a computer was watching us. It seemed like she was somehow annoyed by us or I don't know .. Being observed the whole time made us feel very uncomfortable. The food was really bad. My "fried" rice wasn't fried at all and didn't taste good just as my mom's meal.. She had to vomit the whole night! At the third day we wanted to leave the hotel. We were told that at 7.15 am someone would come to pick us up and bring us to the bus, which should leave at I think 8 am. Nobody came and at 5 to 8 the receptionist decided to bring us to the busstation by his tuk tuk. Luckily the bus was 2 hours too late .. The only reason to stay in this hostel is the good position and the partial (!) nice staff.
Everything I wrote really happened like this !! I am not telling you any lies ! This was really the worst hostel I have ever seen/stayed in ..! I can not and I really don"t want to recommend it to anybody. Do yourself a favour and don't go there ...
PS: Sorry for my not perfectly written English ;D

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Barnsley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Arrived at bus station 1-30am. tuk tuk driver took me to my first two choices but they were full. ended up at Golden Fish cos they had rooms and too tired to look anymore. Room with bathroom $8 fan only, dark and dingy but been in a lot lot worse over the years, everything worked in a fashion but better value to be had. Staff friendly and helpful and unlike many guesthouses around Siem Riep don't lock door at night so you don't have to wake anyone up to get in. Great location for night market and Pub Street but its only a place to crash not hang out.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Besides the location and the friendly stuff, I do not see any reason to stay in the golden fish. We shared a double room for 8$ (no air con but private bathroom), the room was rather small and weirdly "decorated". Unfortunately the matress, sheets and pillows were not only very uncomfortable, they weren't clean and did not smell fresh at all. We didn't dare to use the towels, they smelled and felt dirty. The van was super lound so all in all you won't get a good night sleep. Another minus point: the room smelled rather bad, it came from the toilet an shower (and maybe the broken bathtub as well...). The tv is miniature size so you probabely won't use it anway. He rooftop bar is ok as long as you don't order anyhing to eat or drink. I'm sorry for this bad review, but there's no excuse for a dirty room, bed and towel. I can not speak for the dormitories, maybe they're better.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Golden Fish Guesthouse? Share your experiences!