“Soeun will make your stay unforgettable!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #133 of 432 activities in Siem Reap
Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Soeun will make your stay unforgettable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

As all the reviews have stated, Mr. Kong Soeun is the tour guide that will describe and show you the long history, the recent tragedy, the current status, and future aspirations of Cambodia through stories, his personal experiences, and his deep love for and knowledge of his country. With excellent English skills, incredible patience (for my photography-loving husband, my 1,000 questions, and our 9-month-old son's schedule), extensive knowledge of the area, he will compose as many days of sight seeing as you wish to enjoy. From temples, to Tonle Sap, to schools, to rice patties, Soeun happily and freely shares his expertise of Cambodia with his clients. He was unavailable to be our guide for one day so he connected us with another wonderful guide, but we certainly missed Soeun on that day! He will help you to understand Cambodia, and I am sure the country will steal your heart as it did mine.

Visited June 2012

manila
“BEST TOUR GUIDE IN ALL OUR ASIAN TOURS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

You cannot count the number of good things that will describe Mr. Kong Soeun. You would actually run out of good adjectives to describe the guy. My husband and I had been travelling around Asia and by far, this has been the best tour that we had. First, we booked a tour with Mr. Soeun for 3 days in Siem Reap and I emailed him a day before we board the plane, worried that we will not be booked given the late notice to him. I get instantaneous reply from him accommodating us outright even with such short notice. He even offered to pick us up from the airport even if we arrive in Siem Reap near midnight. This is such a hospitable gesture that we appreciated. He is polite, simple, comfortable to be with and knows all facts about Cambodia like the back of his hands. Going around Siem Reap with Mr. Soeun, you would never feel like a tourist being accompanied from one place to another by an ordinary but detached guide, just letting the day pass by. Rather, you would feel like you are his long time friend, being shown all the best things of Siem Reap, having to experience its detailed history and rich culture by his stories and factual narration. He is an expert in his country's history..from every temple, stone, detail, carving, artwork, structure, place, tree, epic.. he has a story to tell since he used to be a professor and an esteemed member of the Ministry of Tourism. One of the best part of the tour (and I do agree with the other reviews) is that he would not let us through the usual tourist paths or entrance/exits where crowds flock. Instead, we would go through the picturesque temple ruins through spots where you would feel that you are the only people around (I call it the less traveled path which is truly great!) and you can listen to him narrate about the history of the place. Best way to experience the serenity of the place and learn about its past and culture. I once pointed out to him why there were no other tourists in one temple that we went to and he said "we went through the south (back) gate (the long beaten path) coz there are many tourists coming through the main gate". True enough, when we arrived at the main gate, my husband and I cannot even get a spot for a good photo coz all tourists, arriving in buses, are flocking in the front gate. He will attend to all your needs--from umbrellas before it even rains, mosquito repellant, cold water on a humid day, wet wipes to freshen you up, bus tickets for your trip to Phnom Penh, best restos to eat dinner, drop off to grocery if you need anything and even getting a memory card, when you need one. Whatever you need, he will gladly help you out with all sincerity. He is very patient with his guests, waiting on you to go around the temples freely at your own time and pace, answering any of your questions about the tourist spot and allowing you space if you want to just appreciate the view on your own, even allowing us to rest for how long we want to if we are tired. You will never get the usual feeling that you are being drop off in a place for 15 mins and again hauled into your vehicle in a rush for the next destination. It is truly your own private tour! Twas funny seeing other tourists in a line, looking flushed and tired, with their guides wearing a wireless mic over their ears, barking at their guests with directions while we were so relaxed during our tour. After the tour, he gave us a book on the history and culture of Cambodia and when we returned from our trip, I even received an email again from him, outlining all the names of the temples we've been to and their history and date they were built. My husband and I truly appreciate such gesture. I wouldnt be writing such a long review and wasting my time if Mr. Soeun is not a good, if not the BEST, tour guide in Siem Reap. Judging from the other reviews written about him, you would know that you would have the best tour experience with this kind man. Our Siem Reap trip was truly enjoyable because of the tours we've booked with him.

Mumbai
“Awkunh Souen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Very rarely do you meet someone quite as kind, generous and heartwarming as Kong Souen. Not only was he very knowledgable, he went out of his way to take us on 'the road less traveled' , by showing us off the beaten track entrances to temples including preah Kahn. He shared with us amusing anecdotes of how a confused religious history of the Khmer dynasty relates to a similar religious conundrum in Cambodia today. His insights and opinions really helped shed light on contemporary politics in Cambodia which was equally as interesting as it's ancient past. What I liked most about Soeun however, was the honesty with which he declares his passion for the future of Cambodian children, their education and improving the opportunities that they will have in the future. If you're looking for a great tour guide, interesting conversation, and to meet someone who truly does want to change things, Soeun is definitely your best bet!

Visited June 2012
Helotes, Texas
“Superb tour guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Mr Soeun was our personal tour guide for 3 days in May. We couldn't have been more pleased with the experience. As others have said, he is well educated, well spoken, accommodating, has excellent English skills and is certainly well knowledgeable about his country's history and culture. He certainly is very familiar with the area; on several occasions we entered popular temples from the 'back' gates, thus avoiding the crowds -- at times it felt it was just of 3 of us, alone, touring an ancient temple. Hearing his personal account of his country's recent past was fascinating -- we feel so fortunate to have had him for our guide. There can be no better.

Visited May 2012
Manila
3 attraction reviews
“The BEST Tour Guide in Cambodia!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I can honestly say that hiring Soeun (pronounced as SOON) as our Tour Guide was the BEST decision I ever made for this trip and for any of the trips I have taken, for that matter.

I learned about Soeun and his services through Trip Advisor. What caught my attention was the number of times he has been recommended and the frequency with which he has been rated as Excellent by other travelers. Curiosity piqued, I read the first few reviews, and before I even reached the 5th one, I was completely won over. One thing was for sure, people were not only recommending Soeun,-- they were raving about him.

Convinced by the endless extreme compliments, I contacted Soeun to be our Tour Guide for out trip last May 24-25 (2012). Soeun was the easiest person to talk to. It took me only less than 4 emails to arrange everything including itinerary and confirm our booking. This alone already shows how knowledgeable Soeun is. From just our exchange of emails, he already made me feel at ease and confident about his expertise.

Although we didn't have any communication anymore after our last email, which was about 2 weeks before our trip, Soeun came at the appointed time and place, without needing further confirmation or phone call. This set the tone of our entire trip about his service. He is trustworthy and he made everything simple and easy, but never lacking in anything.

Soeun is truly an expert! With his humble and unassuming demeanor, one would be surprised with the amount of knowledge and experience that he possesses. He guided us through the temples with stories about Cambodia's history, culture and dreams as a nation. He took the time to share stories about Buddhism, Hinduism and history of neighboring countries, which helped us understand the carvings in the temples better. He knows the best time to visit each temple and how to make each temple more memorable and personal for us. Although there were other tourist groups, I don't know how he did it, but he managed to make it seem and feel like we were the only visitors in a particular temple.

Soeun made the perfect itinerary for us. We only had two whole days in Siem Reap, but we did not feel like we missed anything or that our trip was lacking in anyway. We started each day at just about the right time (08:30 AM) and ended at 04:30 PM, which gave us plenty of time to rest and enjoy the city by ourselves. It seemed that we had time for everything. With just two days, we were able to visit 8 temples, the Land Mine Museum and Artisans d'Angkor, buy souvenirs, go around the center of Siem Reap and watch an Apsara show.

Soeun made our trip to Cambodia a resounding success. He went beyond expectation and he made us feel that we were not just tourists. I have been so lucky to find Soeun through Travel Advisor, and I can only hope that this review would help others find him too and experience what we had.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND SOEUN!! If you want to have the best experience in Cambodia, and be with a guide who truly knows the country and its people... contact Soeun. Choose the best!

Email of Soeun : kong_soeun@hotmail.com