“Gem in Cambodia” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 232 Hotels in Siem Reap
Hoboken, New Jersey
“Gem in Cambodia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here with a friend while traveling through-out South-East Asia. This was by far our favorite hotel during the trip. The customer service was beyond friendly and helpful. First class spa located in the hotel - a 90 massage was only $18 - cant beat that. The pool was gorgeous and relaxing - salt water. Pool side bar & lunch was a hit - quick, cheap & excellent service. The rooms were spacious, free bottled water daily, huge shower, safe. Tuk-tuks were always on hand outside the hotel to take you anywhere. Location was excellent - a 5-10 min tuk-tuk ride to Pub Street, Night Markets, Angkor Wat. If you find yourself in Siem Reap, please do yourself a favor and book your room here - you wont be disappointed.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, I knew Siddharta would be the type of boutique hotel that I wanted to stay at while in Siem Reap - one with personalized service and endearing charm. The hotel proved to be even more perfect than I could have imagined.

Our experience at Siddharta started off with one of the warmest welcomes I have ever encountered at a hotel; it felt like we were being welcomed back to our own private villa. The hotel is superbly decorated and the food is delicious. The staff is so friendly and willing to do anything for you. The pool and grounds are absolutely beautiful and made a perfect escape after long mornings of touring the temples. The hotel handles everything for you by coordinating a daily tuk tuk driver, dinner reservations in Siem Reap and a quality tour guide, all for very affordable prices. You are located right next to the Angkor Wat temple entrance which makes it easy to go back and forth as you please. The hotel also has a mini-spa that is perfect for some relaxation and its very inexpensive. We didn't want to leave!

As a traveler I enjoy finding perfect little retreats that use architectural design that channels the country's culture and this hotel does this flawlessly. It's hard to believe the cost is so low, and I think that is part of the draw - it really feels like 5 star service, but your paying 3 star prices :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Victoria,Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We had a five day stay and were very pleased with the front counter staff who looked after your every need.Pool is of adequate size to cater for the amount of guests,breakfast area could be improved a little with the replenishing of bread,juices,bacon etc without having to ask.
The bed was a little hard but still bearable....Girls had excellent massage on the premises.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Vermont Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

A well maintained boutique hotel set in area away from the busy section of the city. Rooms are comfortable and well maintained.Hotel has an excellent salt water pool which is a blessing after temple-touring. So is the opportunity to have a good massage on premises. The restaurant is well priced, and has excellent local food, which is presented with some style. They also know the meaning of a cold beer!
Staff throughout are happy and pleasant, and the reception team are first class. Nothing was a problem to them, and making arrangements for things such as hiring a guide or a car and driver was done without fuss. We enjoyed the expierence, and commend the place as a great alternative to larger properties.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a sitting room outside and are great. Direct access to pool as well.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We all loved this hotel. The staff is amazing, very kind and always here to help you to organize your trip or give good advises to choose your eating places. We spend a three days family holidays there and we stayed at one of their family suite (two connected rooms). Kids were so happy to found a Playstation in their room so they can play during hottest time of the day allowing us to have a nap. We got a tuk tuk included in the room as we booked direct with the hotel. Our driver was so kind. Kids loved him. He always was there for us and nothing was too much for him. He went back one evening to the restaurant we just left to pick up the teddy bear my son forgot.
Breakfast is very good with fresh danish rolls and bread as well as amazing home made jam and a lot of fruits plus so many things.
We had one quick lunch at the restaurant and the meal were very tasty. Kids loved the french fries...
My husband got a massage and he told me it was one of the best he had since a long time.
Rooms is huge, well furnished. Bathroom is good too with good water pressure.
Pool is very relaxing after a day exploring the ruins.
We would certainly come back and stay here again as we live in the region and 3 days was too short to do was we wanted to do.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor does have private terrasse
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We made our reservation per email. They replied promptly, it was very efficient and after a couple of exchanges the reservation was done. A week before we went there they remembered to inquire about our flight schedule for the airport pick up. I thought this was recommendable as well.
Like other reviewers I found the location very favorable. Outside Siem Reap and yet easy to reach with the free tuck tuck. For the hotel itself I agree with all the positive reviews from other travelers.
It's true that most of the staff speaks limited, if any, English. The exception is the front desk. Everybody spoke very good English there. Ms. Sona welcomed us. She explained every detail of importance and helped communicated our wishes to our tuck tuck driver. Special thanks to her!
We had a 5PM flight out of Siem Reap and took a trip to Tonle Sap Lake that day. Although we had leave our room in the morning, when we came back they offered us another room to have a shower and change before the flight. Outstanding!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I really struggled with this one. Like another reviewer, had I not visited another upscale hotel for lunch and found out the room rate was the same with a slightly better location and much more sumptuous surroundings, I probably would have rated Siddharta a bit higher. But as you will see, I think I just had bad hotel karma in this case. It's better than average, but I wouldn't say very good. Again, my story is different than most I'm sure.

Overview: the hotel is out of town by about 4-5 minutes, which I think is perfect because there is no reason to stay in Central Siem Reap due to the noise, people, backpackers, heat, dirt etc and most hotels in SR, including Siddharta, offer a free tuk-tuk to get you there any time you want. I wouldn't say the hotel's site is perfect for the uninitiated: on either side of the hotel walls are some slummy areas and depending on which way the wind is blowing you can often get a whiff of burning garbage. Just stay below the site lines and smell lines of the wall and you'll be fine. Also was awaken one night be fighting dogs next door. Don't expect to stroll around the neighborhood.But in fairness, you likely wouldn't do this anywhere unless you are staying at the high-end luxury places. It's blazing hot in SR in March, so the pool (as is the same at other hotels) is very warm and not always refreshing. Very nice landscaping, but if you strip all that away, the hotel is like an upscale Holiday Inn Express with West Elm furnishings (U.S. travelers will get this reference). Not everyone at the hotel speaks English at the same level, so find someone who does and stick with that person. The women tend to have better comprehension than the men.

My situation: had a really lousy drive from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, which has nothing to do with the hotel, but it put me in a bit of a foul mood. Due to a mix up by the hotel, our family room reservation (which is two rooms with a joined door) for three nights ended up being a shared triple for the first night, which was not certainly not perfect, and then the family room for two nights. The staff tried to do their best, but I must admit I was not pleased at this mistake and on top of my crankiness after the awful drive from PP, it exaserbated my frustration. After we got over it and finally met the hotel manager, he graciously offered us free spa service as a consideration. But I showed up for my spa treatment and was kept waiting for 25 minutes without any acknowledgement of what I should do or if I had made a mistake on the time. I finally asked the workers "do you want me to come back later?" and they kind of glowered at me and said yes. After I finally got the treatment, I would rate it as average. Rooms are spacious but showing a bit of wear. The beds were rock hard and not so great for anyone with a bad back. I will say the breakfast was good, the staff did their best and were always gracious, and again, the tuk-tuk driver was really helpful. The manager also did a great thing by allowing us a very late check-out on our last day due to the reservation mix-up. Nice job on that. Reception was very helpful to arrange dinners, for a driver to Angkor Wat and for other little things.

Hard to explain why I feel this way. The heat, the mix up, the spa, the burning garbage and the constantly wailing child of an Australian family (again, not Siddharta's fault but I hope they read this and learn better parenting skills) just put me off and I don't think this is the typical experience that most travelers would have.

There are a lot of hotel choices in SR. Do your homework on rates, find the right location for you, and it may turn out that as most travelers have said, this one is a great choice for you. It just didn't work out that way for me this time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Siddharta Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!