“Diamond in the rough!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Temple Hotel

You added Golden Temple Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Temple Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Makara Road, or Angkor High School Road, Siem Reap 17000, Cambodia   |
Offers & Announcements
VIP package
Ranked #12 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
New York City, New York
“Diamond in the rough!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This wonderful family-run hotel is located on a busy, dusty street across the river from Pub Street and the Central Market, but when you walk inside you enter an oasis of tropical calm, comfort and attentive service. The street noise is replaced by the sound of the huge waterfall at the end of the pool in the hotel's beautiful garden, where many guests choose to lounge, sip drinks or swim. The modern guest rooms are large, comfortable and nicely furnished. Those overlooking the garden pool are bright, airy and have nice views....but the others facing the service alley and hotel next door are equally comfortable and totally quiet. The hotel's full-service restaurant overlooking the far end of the pool is a pleasant place for drinks or a meal, including a complete buffet breakfast. Or if you prefer to dine out, you'll find wonderful (often exceptional) food and atmosphere at three nearby restuarants: Kanell, Barrio, and Cuisine Wat Damnak. Guests who are visiting Siem Reap to see the Khmer temples are offered a wide variety of well-designed tours with capable guides. Moreover, when we decided to make the 6 hour taxi ride to our next destination, Phnom Penh, the hotel found us an excellent driver who was happy to show us an ancient Khmer bridge and stop for lunch at a popular restaurant along the way. Half scenic tour / half thrill ride ... but fascinating and reasonably priced. When we arrived in Phnom Penh, I emailed the Golden Temple that I had forgotten to ask for laundry I had dropped off the day before. The next morning the laundry was delivered to our hotel in Phnom Penh at no charge. Hard to imagine service better than that!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This is a small hotel which has a very ethnic look and feel. From the looks of it, the hotel has about 50 rooms a smallish restaurant, a 3 bed massage room and a small entry lounge. Coming from the US things just seemed smaller. Also given the surroundings and the material used the first impression might be that it is not as clean. However, a first closer look dispels most such impressions. The wood that looks dirty is just natural wood without a very heavy varnish. The pond at entrance that looks dirty is not dirty just a koi pool with live fishes. Coming from an American point of view you have to be aware of such things. The bathroom is smallish with the shower small enough that moving around could hit walls. The reason I am opening with this is just so that people are aware of how deceptive the first look could be.

The hotel in terms of service is probably one of the best I have seen. The outlets in the wall were multi-prong so that different adapters could be plugged directly in. This is something that I have only seen in very high end hotels. We did not need to carry any of our luggage, rather I would say they did not allow us to carry any of our luggage. They kept my sons stroller downstairs and as soon as I was down I was handed the stroller. A free Khmer massage and dinner was included. Both were awesome. Khmer massage is an experience to be had. On the first night my wife was feeling a bit feverish. I went down to the front desk and expected to get directions to the nearest pharmacy. The night manager actually took me to the nearest pharmacy in his tuk-tuk. They provided a swinging crib for my son. He really enjoyed sleeping in it. My son loved interacting with the hotel staff. They were very patient with him and carried him around, talked to him and overall made him feel really special.

All the tours were arranged through the hotel at very reasonable rates. The tuk-tuk driver that they assigned to me Sailes was really great and took good care of us. It was interesting to me that they would assign us a driver for the stay.
Overall this was one of the most relaxing and pleasurable stays I have had.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This boutique hotel is very conveniently located and really quite lovely, beginning with the charmingly decorated lobby, the inviting pool area and comfortable guest rooms. But what makes it extra special is their customer service, which is probably the best I've ever encountered anywhere in the world! The staff all spoke English quite well and were so friendly and accommodating, always greeting us by name whenever they saw us, and rushing to cater to any and all requests made.

After a long bus ride from Phnom Penh, it was fantastic to be greeted with cool, scented towels and an ice cold "welcome beverage" which they serve you immediately upon your arrival at the hotel -- and it is one of the tastiest beverages I've ever had! (We asked for the recipe and they were happy to give it out.)

Our room was spotlessly clean and quite large, and the bed was very comfortable. The room featured a cozy balcony -- a very pleasant spot to sit and have drinks while overlooking the pool. The room's air conditioning worked almost too well. In the bathroom shower the water pressure was great and we had ample hot water. Our room had a small fridge and complimentary bottled water. The closet had ample space for all our stuff and included an in-room safe. The flat-screen TV had several English-language channels, as well as Chinese and Khmer.

During our 5-day stay we ate at the restaurant for breakfast each morning, and we had dinner there twice as well. All the food was good, and the drinks were also quite nice. There were plenty of western options on the menu, in addition to the local Khmer favorites. Service can be a bit slow, so I don't recommend if you're in a hurry, but otherwise I couldn't complain.

We visited the spa twice and were very pleased, though more so with the full-body massages than the foot massages -- it's just rather hard to relax completely when you're seated in the lobby and there is a lot going on around you, though the staff do try their hardest to make you comfortable.

The price was incredibly reasonable, and you can't beat this hotel for lovely surroundings and exceptional customer service. We absolutely loved it! I would stay at the Golden Temple Hotel again in a heartbeat, and I thoroughly recommend this hotel to any travelers coming to Siem Reap.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Staying here has been the single best hospitality experience I have come across, the length they are willing to go to make your stay the most comforting and relaxing is above and beyond anything I have ever experienced and having worked for The Radisson Hotel for 5 years I like to think I have a base for comparison. We arrived early off a night bus and as the room was not ready beds were made up in their spa so we could get some sleep, while waiting for that we were provided with a free breakfast. During our stay the constant supply of nuts and watermelon while poolside was extraordinary. And when leaving we were given an extra room while waiting for another night bus so we could rest. This place was so good we are considering returning just to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my third stay here. I would stay nowhere else. All staff are exceptionally friendly kind and helpful. Rooms are very comfortable and spotless. Restaurant is excellent if you don't feel like going out. Location to town is great only a few minutes walk. It's the staff and management that make this hotel. They go out of their way to do anything for you. I will return again next year. Thank you to Ms Soling and all the staff. It's my home away from home !

• Stayed November 2013
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

Our stay in the Golden Temple was wonderful. All the staff so courteous and helpful...going the extra mile to please. Actually my son and partner had stayed here last year so the place had been recommended and lived up to and went beyond all our expectations. My husband even had a complimentary massage, his first massage ever. Secretly he did enjoy it!. The hotel is very well situated, there are many reliable tuc tucs to take you wherever you want and many good restaurants close by if you do not want to eat at the hotel. The hotel food and cocktails were in fact very good indeed.

Room Tip: Nice to have pool side or pool view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

How do the Golden Temple Hotel staff do it i.e. become your friends in such a short time? You have read about the friendly, warm welcome, on arrival, that includes drinks and snacks. This warm welcome is repeated every time you return to the Hotel! The front office staff remembered each of our names (there were twelve of us coming and going constantly!) and made us feel like part of a family. They shared their life stories and pride at working in Tourism in Siem Reap, even the young cleaners looked happy to be employed at The Golden Temple. The pool, the restaurant and the massage rooms are top class. This Hotel is an easy, safe, walk into the markets and Pub Street, or a cheap tuk tuk ride, the front office is staffed day and night. Our guide for the temples was informative and knowledgeable, our driver Mr Pip was cheerfully available whenever we required him and did everything he could for us to make the most of our visit. When we finally left if felt as if we were really were going to be sadly missed by everyone at The Golden Temple.

Room Tip: Decide if you would prefer a shady balcony or a poolside view.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Golden Temple Hotel? Share your experiences!