“Great for keen photographers” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 432 activities in Siem Reap
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We take to places normal tours do not go.Photo adventures and location workshops; led by photographer Dave Perkes and his team of photo guides. Our custom photo tours are for any photographer from beginner to advanced amateur. We use both Western photographers with Khmer guides to give historical and cultural insider knowledge on most tours. For those who are new to photography or want to learn more; we will show you basic camera skills, composition and "seeing" and opportunities for contact with people and photographic opportunities and experiences that you would never have believed possible.Image Reviews and Photo editing workshops can be arranged as part of your photo tour programmeFor advanced and pro photographers we take you to exciting locations and with our intimate knowledge of lighting conditions throughout the year; you will get a great portfolio and save both time and money.We run Multi-day customized tours to remote areas for photographers and adventurers who want to get to the heart of Cambodia and other places in SE Asia.
Melbourne, Australia
“Great for keen photographers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

In May 2013 we did the 4 day Photo Explorer tour with Peace of Angkor. We went to places, and saw things we wouldn’t have seen, but for the knowledge of the area of our guides. Looking at my photos, I’m quite amazed that I took these photos - many thanks to Dave & Elliot for their help and guidance. Our one concern was the level of expertise that we had, compared to the skills of Dave and Elliot. My friend and I described ourselves as ‘keen amateurs’. My friend uses a compact camera and I have an SLR. Sometime we both felt out of our depth and under some pressure. As we were travelling in the low season, we were the only people on the tour. We expect if there had been some ‘serious photographers’ on the trip with us, it would have been easier. Despite this, let me stress, we had a good time, went 'off the beaten path', saw some less well known sights, loved where we went, we are both so pleased with our photos and my enthusiasm for photography has been re-ignited.

Visited May 2013
peaceofangkor, Owner at Peace of Angkor Day Tours, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thanks so much for your comments. It was a pleasure to meet you and I am pleased to know your photography has improved. When we get those like yourself who have a good eye for detail; we do try and encourage improvement and sometimes that involves taking you a bit out of your photo comfort zone. We only do this if we feel you will benefit from this.

Dubai
9 attraction reviews
“Off the beaten path”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was looking for a trip to take some great pictures away from the well trodden tourist areas and fell by chance on Peace of Angkor tours. My girlfriend and I went for a tour of the floating/stilted villages of Kompong Khleang and the remote temple of Beng Mealea. We went to a roadside market, a crocodile farm and stilted villages where we took some really nice pictures and had the chance to be immersed in the local culture. The lack of rain made it impossible for us to see any floating villages or visit any of the ones on the tonle sap, In the afternoon we went to the temple of beng mealea also very nice and very dramatic picture taking spot.
What sets this tour apart is that it is with a professional photographer who can guide you and recommend strategic spots to take pictures.
I learned a lot about picture composition and how to make the most out of the light which is what i was interested in. So all in all a good day.

london
“A must for anyone who is serious about photography”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I've toyed with taking a photography course for years, but have always found it difficult to justify paying the cash to sit in a room and be talked about theory. When I read into Peace of Angkor running tours to see temples in Angkor and improve my photography it was a no-brainer. I thought if it wasn't very good, I would have seen some of the greatest architecture in the World.

To my delight the tour exceeded all expectations. Dave is not only a very talented and knowledgable photographer, but a brilliant teacher who passes on knowledge through examples and demonstrations. I'm sure you can ask him just about anything and he'd not only tell you the theory, but show you in practise. If you need advice on kit, techniques and any of the technical things behind photography, then this is the tour for you.

Equally, if you want to go to the unvisited locations (or the hidden parts of popular locations) then this is also for you. I went round sites such as Preah Khan and Banteay Sanrei and was able to go to unique sites where not many other people go.

I was lucky enough to also meet Elliot, another pro who has a particularly good knack for spotting a unique photo opportunity. Every now and then you'll see him on the floor, perched on top of rubble or setting up his tripod in a location that you'd never expected. It's hard not to pick up something and be inspired to try new things and learn new techniques.

I cannot recommend this company enough and it was definitely the highlight of my time in Cambodia and possibly in the whole of South-East Asia. It was fantastic value for what you get and has undoubtedly helped improve my photography and eye for taking a photo. I'm contemplating going on another tour of theirs if I get the opportunity to come back to this part of the World.

Bangkok, Thailand
“Much beyond my expectation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Although it was the original request, the guide that was assigned to me (Mr Chhor Elit) was really an enthusiastic photography hobbyist. He took me to nice spots and supported me in every initiative or request. Thanks to him I had the chance to take the most from my limited technical skills and I learn a lot.

Visited April 2013
Waterville, Maine
“Superb Photographic Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We booked 3.5 days with Peace of Angkor: one full day with Dave and 2.5 days with Sorn. Our tour lived up to the motto "We take you where other tours won't" in every respect. We happened to be there during Khmer New Year, and a simple jaunt into the countryside turned into a wonderful experience at two local celebrations where we were welcomed warmly and treated amazingly. Similarly grand photographic experience with a large group of children in one of the floating villages near Tonle Sap. We will be months working on these photos! Our tour of various sites in the Angkor Wat compound was well timed to beat most of the New Year's crowds, and we were given lots of good advice about photographing inside and outside these magnificent temples. I am quite the novice at photography, and learned an enormous amount from Dave and Sorn. Worth the trip for such an experience. Highly, highly recommended!

Visited April 2013