“Would like to return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast & Superior Hotel

You added Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast & Superior Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast & Superior Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Close to Pub 'Street and night life but locatedin a very quiet lane | Phum Wat Damnak, Khum Sala Komreuk, Krom 10, Siem Reap, Siem Reap 888, Cambodia   |
Ranked #108 of 383 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Riederalp, Switzerland
“Would like to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Golden Banana is a place I would definitely come back to. Good location, only a fes minutes to walk to the center and pub street. Friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Two swimmingpools, roomservice and restaurant were available for guests. We did the temple and river/lake tour in one day. I would recommend to do it on two seperate days. Hire a tuck tuck driver for ine day will cost u abt USD 30.- he will take you to the temples. Entrance fee for one day at the temples is USD 20.-
Go and see the "floating village" crocodile farm and Tonle Sap Lake the next day. River cruise is USD 25.- per Person and takes abt 3-4 hrs. If you like you can also go around the mangrove forrest and village by small boat for USD 10.- but you will have to negogiate the price.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 6 days at Siem Reap, exploring the temples of Angkor nearby. This boutique hotel was rightly was suggested by a friend and from the very start, it seemed like a really nice place. It is refreshingly different from the array of massive five-star hotels that seem to have descended on Siem Reap from space. There's a sense of comfort and coolness as you enter the lobby. The rooms are spacious with large balconies, and standards of cleanliness are commendable. The location is perfect. It's a five-minute walk to the town centre (Pub Street), yet far enough to be really quiet. The staff is friendly and always smiling. However, mistakes were made while serving breakfast and booking bus tickets and we never got an apology from the staff. The hotel has great potential and the proprietor's idea of hiring enthusiastic young men from rural Cambodia is most admirable, but more has to be invested in training the staff. They helped us find a really fantastic tuk-tuk driver, who not onlu knew the area well but also was well-conversent in English. His name is Manin, and he is highly recommended. Overall, the hotel is great value for money and I endorse it wholeheartedly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Summertown, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Golden Banana is the place to stay in Siem Reap-Cambodia--a wonderful place to relax after a hot humid day after your Temple Crawl
I stayed here with a straight woman friend and we made a great new friend at the pool who just happened to be there for the pool. The first night we stayed at the B&B on the top floor--stairs were steep but the crew carried all our bags. The next few nights we stayed next door next to the pool--we had two floors to hang out in--the place is beautiful and they will get a Tuk Tuk driver for you for as long as you need them. After a long day in the heat the pool is wonderful--I wondered if they threw ice in the pool in the morning--it was almost like a mountain stream--very cool and refreshing. We ended up putting $80 on our bar tab but it was worth it--who would think I would have my first Long Island Tea in Cambodia. The staff was wonderful and friendly

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have now stayed at all 3 parts of Golden Banana - the resort, hotel and B and B. All have good facilities, nice staff and each has its own pool. If you want to spend time here, the resort is a good option, with good big rooms and private space. If you plan to be out and about and just want somewhere to sleep, the B and B is a good option, and probably the best value. The only drawback with Golden Banana resort is that the breakfast you get is not much better than you get at the B and B.

Room Tip: For value, choose the B and B option. You still get access to a nice pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this place for later this year when my family is coming over from the U.S. to spend Christmas. I booked because it is listed as "gay friendly". I'm gay and I like to support establishments that provide an atmosphere that is not discriminatory. My son is also gay but his mother is not so I wanted someplace that would be comfortable for all of us.

I live in Phnom Penh and had a long weekend to visit Siem Reap for some R and R and decided this would be a good time to check out the Golden Banana before my family comes so I headed up with my straight house mate for the weekend. This place is totally awesome. I wanted a good vibe but not one of flaming out all night pool parties. I'm not judgmental about it and there is a time for a good party, I just didn't want that with my son and his mom. Well, the place was perfect and my straight roommate wasn't sure why they even called it gay friendly. He's a little slow about these things, lol. The all male staff was over the top friendly and helpful. The guy gave me a free upgrade to a superior room when I checked in even though I didn't have a reservation. We ended up checking out a day early because we both needed to get back to Phnom Penh and that was also "no problem". The housekeeping staff was great and very unintrusive. The complex is a little sprawling but everything is really clean and well kept. The main pool is saltwater and sparkling clean. There other guest ranged from a straight honeymooning couple to a family with children to a gay couple to me and my straight room mate so the guest profile is quite diverse. The breakfast included is simple but enough with eggs your way, a baguette, fruit and coffee. You can add menu items for $2 but I found it to be enough. The hotel is just down a dusty alleyway far enough to be fairly quiet but you can be on Pub Street across the canal in 15 minutes. It is right by the night market and the old market. It isn't a total luxury accommodation like can be had in Siem Reap but if you want something authentic and local, this place is more than fine. Check it out and I'm pretty sure you won't have any regrets.

Room Tip: The rooms around the pool on the second floor are really beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for several nights on our visit to Angkor Wat and we loved it.
The staff was super friendly and did a great job arranging all our tours and guides and transpo.
They keep it all in a log book and you sign off all along the way so there are no surprises at the end when checking out. The fact they keep all your charges in one bill is very convenient and relaxing as there is no need to carry money around the property. If you are relaxing by the pool and want a drink or snack, it comes and gets charged seamlessly to your room bill. At the the end all your charges are added up and you can pay by dollars, riel or credit card which is nice.
The room was very clean and the staff restocks your mini bar and bathroom daily.
The property is very well maintained and they clean the pool every morning. BTW, I would never dream of staying in Cambodia without a pool. The heat can really take it out of you and with hiking all around the temples and such, you almost can't wait to jump into a cold, clean body of water. This property maintains a salt water pool which is very nice on the skin without the extra chemicals.
A man from Holland is the owner and so the standards are very HIGH and European, so no need to worry about bugs or gross toilets or any of that stuff that can be a damper to an Asian Adventure.
They also have great access to guides for the temples, we got a young man named SANGHA, sounds like Songha, and he was pure magic. Very good english, very well trained and knew the history of the area better than most I am sure of that. He was orphaned because of the Khmer Rouge, so he came to Siem Reap to study as a monk at the monestary at Angkor Wat, so he knew so much more than someone who just came to this town to make money off the tourism boom. His stories were filled with facts and emotion and I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone who is looking to have a great visit. We didn't need him for all 3 days, but we wanted to be around him and his energy, so we hired him for everyday we went to the complex. He knew the best places to go to avoid the crowds, get amazing pictures and stop for lunch.
In the end, there would be no other choice for me in this town.
It seems like this town has embraced the tourism to crazy levels and you can have a "four seasons" type hotel experience or a dumpy guesthouse for next to nothing. This little boutique is a beautiful hybrid and i can't wait to come and stay again.

Room Tip: Get a room on the third floor and you will have 12 foot ceilings and great views. WE loved being up...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Gijon, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Golden Bananna was a really nice place to stay.
Rooms were big and clean with all the details. Nice swiming pool to rest after visit the temples. Very friendly staff.
5 min walk from the restaurants and market area.
Gay Friendy

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Banana Bed & Breakfast & Superior Hotel? Share your experiences!