“Should be whats best for the kids - not what will get more money in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Traditional Khmer Dance at ACODO Orphanage

Traditional Khmer Dance at ACODO Orphanage
Tonle Sap Road (Phnom Krom) | Watsvay Village, Siem Reap, Cambodia
+855 12 818 158
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #55 of 97 Attractions in Siem Reap
Type: Performances
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Attraction Details
Saigon
“Should be whats best for the kids - not what will get more money in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been - I do believe all children, orohans or abandoned should be supported, as it is none of their own doing. However, I cannot imagine these children are enjoying performing every night of the week. This should be one or twice a week and only if that is to give the children something to look forward to. These kids should not be performing every night.

Venice, Italy
74 attraction reviews
“Genuine, not a rip off”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Judging from the mixed reviews we decided to see for ourselves. We believe it is genuine and they do a good job by offering 76 orphans a safe home and the chance to learn, even English. The person who set it up risked his own money, volunteers from here and abroad make it work.
They do offer commission but they need people to visit and make donations which supports the orphanage.
The performance was good and the kids enjoyed it, afterwards they loved meeting the audience. Making a donation is the right thing to do.
We have seen other such projects in other parts of the world and they need our support to survive. They have ambitious plans for the future, we wish them good luck.
If you have time - 7 days plus - you could offer your time and expertise. See an earlier review from a girl who spent two weeks working here.

Visited December 2012
Singapore, Singapore
6 attraction reviews
“Lovely show - worth going”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

After reading mixed reviews about the performance, I thought I would see it for myself. I brought my two young children and they loved it. The children danced very well and the costumes are nice. More importantly the children seemed to enjoy themselves. Learning your country's traditional dance for fundraising purposes doesn't seem like an awful thing considering the alternative (living on the street, begging, etc).

I was happy to make a donation.

hadley rille
83 attraction reviews
“Child labor? Possible children sold by parents into money making enterprise?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Orphan tourism is a scandal in siem reap. Avoid. Give your money to internationally accredited organizations. New "orphanages" have sprung up all around siem reap in recent years because of the huge steady flow of western tourists and their dollars. Don't be suckered.

Visited September 2012
Chicago
30 attraction reviews
“unique, heartwarming and entertaining--do not miss this !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We visited this orphanage and saw this show last night. I lack words to describe how wonderful this was. First of all, these children are very talented, both as dancers and musicians. The show was genuinely entertaining---had we paid a lot of money at some glitzy "authentic Khmer dance show," I doubt it would have been much better. Second, the kids are endearing. We spent a long time after the performance chatting with them, and they were not acting---they were clearly happy we were there, and happy to meet us and practice their English with us.

I must respond to some of the posts on this website, which I feel are seriously misguided. I do so as a pediatrician and card-carrying liberal. Some people seem to view this as child exploitation. Is the Vienna Childrens' Choir exploitation? Are the wonderful boys' choirs at Oxford and Cambridge exploitation? Is the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Youth Orchestra exploitation? Nonsense. All these organizations give paid concerts, but nobody seems to be complaining about that ! Exploitation would require that the children be forced to do this. Anyone who attends this performance has to physically blind, or blinded by bleeding heart prejudice not to see that these kids love doing this. And-as I said above, we spent time taking to them, and they were happy kids, not victimized. Second, exploitation requires that the kids are being used to benefit others, some mean adult ogres behind the scene. Here, whatever meager donations they collect go to benefit them ! Look on the Internet, or read posts on this website, from people who have ACTUALLY VOLUNTEERED for Acodo. Their testimonials are unanimous about the good work done here. I am not a naive person, but nowhere have I read, and I have looked, that Acodo is anything but what it claims to be. Please do not be cynical. For those of you going to Siem Reap, attend this show, and do so with an open heart. You will be rewarded.