“Cheap and excellent, what else do you need?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thunborey Hotel

You added Thunborey Hotel to your Saves list
Thunborey Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Psakrom Steet | Viheachen Village, Svaydangkum Commune, Siem Reap +855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #161 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
New York City, New York
“Cheap and excellent, what else do you need?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Excellent hotel. When I were there, I felt like staying in my own home, without a feeling that I was traveling. Breakfast is delicious and the service is great. It took you only a few minutes to get into many of Siem Reap attractions. I am sure that you will have an unforgettable experience there and wish you all the best.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melaka, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

From the warm reception to the always smiling attendants who were very helpful, very quick service of booking a tuk-tuk for an early check out. We reached on check in day before 9am but was able to get into our room in less than 15 minutes, that really saved a lot of our time for a quick nap. Heated shower with powerful water jets is a luxury, after our daily walk around the dusty town.

Breakfast choices are ample from the normal stir fried noodles, fried rice, omelets, scrambled eggs, french toast up to 10 choices and a pot of tea or coffee or orange juice if you like. The view from the breakfast location is just awesome as you can gaze from the top floor of the building. Housekeeping staff is very quick and knows when to do their job even if we left at different time of the day during our trip.

I was also able to use Wi-Fi without any hassle and the connection is quite fast and stable because they setup different access points for each of the floors. CNN, BBC, NHK, Korean and Japanese TV channels are available for free. During the last night of my stay, I managed to secure a last minute tour, thanks to the reception staff assistance to help dial out to our tour guide and then transferring the reply call to our room later.

The hotel location is not far from the city center, just a quick walk of 5 minutes will take you to Pub Street and the night market. We could find a lot of eateries and tuk-tuk once we stepped out of the hotel. During the night the street leading to the hotel is quite dark so be careful if you are travelling alone.

I highly recommend Thunborey for its value for money, our stay at the Deluxe double room was most comfortable and relaxed.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms that are not directly beside the staircase. Rooms at floor 1 and floor 2 can detec...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I had a pleasant stay at Thunborey Hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. My room was a little worn (which wasn't a problem for me since it was clean - most important to me) and the tv didn't work but they fixed it. It's close to everything (Siem Reap is pretty small), including Angkor Wat (about 8 km). The breakfast at the hotel was fine and the view was great. Would recommend to anyone going to Siem Reap.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

A great hotel and friendly staffs. They had a free pick-up from the airport where the driver can also communicate well in English. I appreciate the free pick-up greatly cos there were 12 of us. Most of our baggages went to a Tuk Tuk which was sent by them and arrived shortly after we had arrived at the hotel.

It's very easy to walk to the nearby Pub Street, Old Market area and my favourite restaurant "Haven--where helping tastes good". There's also an awesome ice cream stall called "The Bluepumpkin" along the roads. Once you've learned to walk to Pub Street, you would know how to walk around the main area of Siem Reap and back to the hotel.

The room was clean and the shower has good pressure. The toilet is big and the rooms with 2 beds was good for me. Enough room space. There is alot of hot water and the water would be hot if you showered in the morning or early evening. If you shower late at night, the water would not be as hot. I like the way they do the towels--either a bamboo shoot shape or a pretty flower shape.

The staffs are friendly. One night, my friends and I wanted to just take a tuk tuk and travel round the area. Just drive around randomly to see the non-Pub Street areas. So we approached the receptionist for help where the lady behind the counter kindly called a friend to come and helped us translate our intentions. So it was priced for US$5 for 4 of us in 1 Tuk Tuk. And it was certainly a pleasant ride.

We travelled farther from the Pub street and saw big houses, shopping malls, angkor arts night market, river, road side stalls and even Swesens Restaurant..and it was pleasantly different. I'm glad I made that trip. On the way back, I stopped by the Bluepumpkin ice cream place where a scoop cost US$1.50 and enjoyed the really comfy seats.

Thunborey Hotel is also located very near to The Happy Horse Ranch which gives really good horse rides at US$22 per person. The owner in charge speaks very good english (I don't think he's a local?) and there's a guide for each of the horses.

I also employed the hotel's service for a mini van transport throughout the day to go to Ang Kor Wat and Ta Prohm, and horse range. The transport was good. Drove safely. Easy to communicate to the driver. And the driver was helpful to help us find the reception counter at the horse range. Was pleased with the arranged transport and can be trusted.

Room Tip: Ensure that all the electrical plugs are working. If the ones at the dressing table aren't worki...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in November 2010 and January and April 2012, each time for a longer period. It's my favorite. Located a few minutes Southeast of the Old Market/Pub Street. The road to the hotel is improved recently (not so bumpy and dusty anymore). Rooms are excellent. Large if you have one bed, a little less spacy with two beds. Very clean, silent airco, refrigerator, tv, great bathroom with glass shower cabin. Breakfast is included and a little amateuristic served, but always with fresh fruit and it's a low paid job to serve and the young staff is very friendly and modest (sometimes you have to repeat, their English is not perfect, but it´s Cambodia/Asia). I always chat with them. Recently they changed the reception staff, now with some very cute girls. Also the rate is higher compared to two years ago (from $12 to $18). You never have to pay more than $20 for a very good room in Cambodia.
There are computers in the lobby, but recently I used wifi on my netbook and that works fine.
At the corner to center (Old Market and Pub Street area) you can rent a bicycle for 1$/day including a bottle of water. In the street to the Old Market is a Chinese bakery, opposite one of the best massage places in town ($5/hour and for $1 more they come to your hotel, but.the hotel can also arrange massage).
Have fun in Siem Reap!

Room Tip: The best rooms (silent) are in on the second and third floor. Front rooms on the fourth have noice f...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Te Anau, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at the Thunborey for five nights in May 2012, longer than we intended because the hotel was so good.

We have travelled a lot and stayed in all types of accommodation, backpacker to luxury over the years. For $18 a night we got an air conditioned very spacious room with ensuite (with proper shower that had great pressure rather than a wet room), TV with English movie channels, clean bedding and towels daily, high speed internet that never once let us down, two bottles of water every day, fridge/mini bar and breakfast. There was a choice of food and drink or breakfast, service wa always with a smile and the food was really well cooked. We had toast and eggs every day but also got jam and three types of fresh fruit.

The reception staff were friendly and helpful and you can book tuk tuks to the Angkor temples here for very reasonable rates as well as bus tickets for onward travel. We did the latter, not the former, only because we found an excellent tuk tuk driver whilst out and about in the town.

The location is fine, only a few minutes walk to Pub Street and the town centre. There are also places to eat, laundries, etc along the same road that the hotel is on. It was nice to be in a quieter area and still have access to all the great things that Siem Reap has to offer. I really can't recommend this hotel highly enough, it's been the best value we've had in Cambodia so far and I doubt we'll better it in this price bracket.

I see I've put 'terrible' against the pool below - that's a mistake I can't change on an ipad. There is no pool here but that wasn't an issue for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in 325 - very happy with it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Excellent Hotel with friendly staff and daily room service. Still don't know why they only charge 18 bucks for this... Service was great they did also let us have a shower after we already checked out (in a room that was already cleaned).
Location near Old Market was also fab.
No pool.

Room Tip: All rooms I have seen so far look alike. Just depends on number of beds you want.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for spending your value time to write this review.

Been to Thunborey Hotel? Share your experiences!