“Nice villa but not so friendly service...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap

You added Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap to your Saves list
Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Wat Damnak, Krom 10 | Rambutan Lane, Siem Reap, Cambodia (Formerly Golden Banana Boutique Resort)   |
Special Price
BEST PRICE GUARANTEED!
Ranked #32 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
Gold Coast, Australia
“Nice villa but not so friendly service...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We stayed here after staying at another hotel (unfortunately they were booked out for the rest of our stay). After staying at this hotel, we were probably spoiled by their fantastic and much friendlier service.

We really liked the villa, it was quite spacious and clean. We had a nice big balcony with two lounge chairs and a bathtub which overlooked the pool. Only problem here was the hot water in our shower didn't work properly. It wasn't fun having a cold shower at night! We inquired about the water the next day and were told that we had to wait five minutes for the water to work. We followed the advice but indeed it took more than five minutes, more like fifteen and the water pressure was horrible. We figured this was just our room as we moved rooms the next day.

Now the service, we felt that the service wasn't as friendly as other hotels we have stayed at. At breakfast, we had to ask for another cup as the one we had wasn't clean. The lady next to us also asked for the same thing. We just felt that the staff didn't engage with us enough.

We didn't really get a customer oriented/friendly vibe here. Which is quite unfortunate as it is a smaller hotel. I feel that the service could have been more professional. We got up early one morning to speak with someone at reception regarding an urgent matter about our departure, only to find them sleeping on the lobby chair so we had to go back to our room and wait. Also disappointing that the hotel doesn't offer complimentary drop off and pick up service to the airport! The hotel is the same price as other hotels and we felt there wasn't much value here.

Breakfast was ok, not the best I've had. You chose from a menu. I usually prefer buffet.

Sorry golden banana, I won't be staying here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights, and although we were ready to leave the oppressive heat of Siem Reap at the end of our stay, we were not ready to leave the Golden Banana. Someone further down in the comments named it an oasis and that is exactly what Golden Banana is.

First off, the staff were remarkable. From the moment we stumbled through the gate, travel-weary, they exhibited to us some of the most incredible hospitality we've ever experienced. They made us feel completely at home. They were warm, friendly, quick to laugh and smile, and so accommodating. Our room was beautiful, cool, and cozy. The grounds were breathtaking and beautifully designed, but not in a way that stood out in awkward stark contrast to the surroundings and feel of Siem Reap. The food was delicious. There are lots of great places in SR, which is an easy 5 minute walk, but we found ourselves preferring to stay at GB for most snacks and meals because it was just that good and we felt so comfortable there. The drinks were also amazing.

Bottom line: we loved Golden Banana so much we want to shout it from mountaintops. If we made more money and could afford the flights to Cambodia we would be back tomorrow in a heartbeat. Truly a magical place.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I spent 3 nights in Siem Reap and stayed at this lovely hotel. It was an excellent choice. The hotel is in an ideal location- its close to some nice restaurants and bars and the fantastic night market and also a perfect base for seeing temples. This is a must in Siem Reap. The staff were very friendly, courteous and very well-trained. From the moment we arrived they went out of their way to assist us and make us feel at home. We were on honeymoon and they really did make it special for us. I spent a lot of time chatting to the staff at the bar and around the hotel and they were very pleasant. I also liked the fact that the owner is constantly around talking to guests which I doubt you would see in the bigger hotel chains. The hotel is pretty small but this is one of its main qualities. The setting is intimate and inclusive- it attracts young and old couples, straight and gay and this really sets it apart from a lot of alternatives. It has a lot of charm and personality and the rooms are simply beautiful ( I highly recommend a cocktail or two in the bath on the balcony) Additionally the food, drinks and spa treatments were of a high standard. If you stay here you must hire the tuktuk driver Tiger who is employed through the hotel. He took us temple trekking two days and he was a lovely, friendly young man. All in all I would recommend the Golden Banana to anyone looking for a relaxing, comfortable stay in Siem Reap. We will definitely be back soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Loved this place, super helpful staff; who explained were stuff was close by on this map they gave us and were pretty smiley all the time. Location wise its both close and far enough away from Pub st, there was a tuktuk outside the gate everytime we entered/left incase you wanted to go somewhere.... although the walk is pretty quick and we never used this. The room was clean, garden and the pool were amazing.

Would totes go back :)

Room Tip: We stay in the monkey room, extra set of stairs and you can look at the backpackers pool while on th...
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed here ten days in two different rooms and would go back tomorrow. Location is excellent and most things around town can be done on foot or by bike. The rooms with roof terraces are big and the beds are the best I've slept in for a long time and the combination of ceiling fan and (quiet!) air-con made it really comfortable. Don't forget that this is still Cambodia and the odd power cut and challenging hot water must be accepted but even so the salt water pool was fantastic and the planting around the courtyard was luxuriant. The staff were simply brilliant and always helpful and you couldn't wish for better anywhere. We hired bicycles and visited most of the temples this way and the hotel will also arrange a fantastic driver, Din, who will drive you to the more far flung places with a courtesy and a smile that characterizes this resort to a tee.

Room Tip: The rooms with roof terrace are not cheap but offer a real exclusive touch and if you are staying fo...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I spent three nights at the Golden Banana Boutique Resort and felt both like I was home and on vacation the whole time. If I return to Siem Reap, this is where I will stay.

As others have said, the Golden Banana is centrally located, but it's across the river from the downtown attractions. This means you can easily walk to the Old Market - and then walk back again to blissful quiet.

The rooms and resort are decorated with an eye to simplicity and continuity. You'll enjoy the art work by Ter. You'll enjoy the open space in your room, the rattan, the louvered wooden shutters onto your balcony if you have a second floor room, the thought that has gone into the smallest detail - like the traditionally carved ibis on the desk in my room.

The restaurant serves meals all day. I came down each morning to sit at a table next to the waterfall and salt water pool (salt water doesn't attract mosquitoes). Seriously - a salt water pool just across the river from the Old Market. Coffee always came quickly, and so as I waited for my meal I could wake up looking at and hearing water. A wonderful start to the day.

And the staff was incredible - a rare treat to find people so friendly and engaged. From Toeu my constant, kind and attentive waiter who talked to me about the education he had received from an NGO to Thol Hong, the manager, who made sure details were taken care of and was a ready resource in talking about Cambodia. I was there consulting for a favorite NGO, and Thol asked thoughtful questions about it and made clear how important it was to him to give back to his country as he continued his career.

Staff respect your privacy, so you will need to initiate conversations if you want to engage with them. But if you do, you'll go deeper into a what a jewel this place is. Thank you once again, Thol and Toeu. It was a delightful stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was really excited to take a side trip to Siem Reap from my vacation all around Thailand. Based on the tripadvisor reviews of Golden Banana Resort, I was excited. I'm not sure if I was staying at the same resort that all of the other reviewers were, but this place was very disappointing. Although $100/night isn't expensive by western standards, it's a pricey hotel in Siem Reap, and definitely doesn't live up to that level.

We'll start with the pros -

-Location - it's close enough to the action, but far enough away that it's nice and quiet
-The property itself - the grounds are really pretty, serene, and peaceful
-Friendly staff

And the cons....

-Wifi that worked 1 night out of 3 (barely)
-Broken lock on the door
-Air conditioning that didn't work hardly at all
-Staff that speak little to no english
-Staff that are completely unable to recommend anything - restaurants, attractions, etc.
-Doesn't take American Express (This always frustrates me overseas, where Amex protection is essential to travelers).
-When I gave the front desk guy another credit card, he went into a back office, came out and left (with my credit card). He neglected to tell me that their credit card machine was down, and that he needed to take my card next door. In a developing country, it lends a bit of an uneasy feeling when some one runs off with your credit card for several minutes.

All in all, this place just doesn't live up to the hype. I met several travelers that were literally paying half as much in Siem Reap, and staying in equally as nice resorts. My suggestion would be to go elsewhere.

Room Tip: The rooms with the outdoor tubs are nice
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
worldtraveller062, General Manager at Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear jbsf79,

Thank you for taking your time posting your personal feedback on Tripadvisor.
We really regret our venue was not exactly what you where looking for.
Golden Banana Boutique Hotel & Resort are created around a concept.
We try to offer our guest a very warm and homey feeling away from home, which you will see, confirmed in many reviews here.
We did our very best to also offer you this feeling.
After several attempts from our staff and me to have a short and friendly conversation with you it was very clear to us you preferred not to be bothered to much and as a result there was not much interaction.
The computer-system is backing up in the middle of the night and that might have caused the WiFi breaking up, we changed that system and now have WiFi all night.
You reported the broken lock the first morning of your stay and right away (a half an hour later) the locksmith came to repair it, by the time you where back from visiting the temples it was all working fine.
Same happened regarding the Air-con, it got fixed immediately and work perfect after.
A pity you didn’t mentioned in your review about how directly our staff reacted on the malfunctions you reported.
Cambodia is indeed like you mentioned a developing country and many of the young adults we hired here at the hotel are still going to school in the evening times after their work for English or other courses.
Sometimes we need to do a bit more of an effort to explain them what we want them to organize, but with a little bit patience this mostly works out pretty fine.
Saying that our staff speaks very little to no English sounds very unfair to me knowing that most of them finished a least one or two years in some of the very good hotel schools here in Siem Reap. But indeed your English was difficulty to understand, even for me, that might have caused the problem as well
That our staff is not able to recommend something? We normally sit down with all guest to recommend them different options for food, leisure and trips and they have a whole range of options that we like to recommend. I am sorry that that didn’t happen in your case, maybe because of your accent again.
American Express is not accepted in most of the places in the world, not alone Cambodia, even not in the 5 stars hotels because the fees are just way to high, and we are not charging the fees to our customers, also this is clearly mentioned on our website and on all online channels so it shouldn’t have been a surprise for you.
Regarding the staff that went away with your credit card to use our (backup) credit card machine located our other hotel next-door, you are totally right our staff should have asked you to follow him to the other machine, we had a meeting with our team about this already to avoid this kind of uneasy feeling in the future.
Anyway it was clear from the beginning our place didn’t live up the hype for you, so yes you could have been better off in a cheaper place without the personal approach we offer.

With best regards,
Tommy

Been to Rambutan Resort - Siem Reap? Share your experiences!