“Outside of central Siem Reap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Smiling Hotel & Spa

You added Smiling Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Smiling Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   National Road No. 6, Chong Kaosou village | Sangkat Slor Kram,, Siem Reap 0000, Cambodia   |
Ranked #155 of 230 Hotels in Siem Reap
San Diego, California
“Outside of central Siem Reap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed here two nights and have no complaints about hotel. We had a room looking out the front of the hotel and it had a small patio to sit out on and watch the traffic. It is away from the main part of town and you have to travel to do anything. There is a night market just down the street if you want to grab some local food. The rooms are quiet and the front desk was quick to help out with a request. There is a basic breakfast buffet in the morning, but get there early as it gets full and may have to wait for a table.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed two nights here. We arrived early on sleeper bus, exhausted! They gave us early check in at 6.30 am to a temporary room for showers etc. They then bumped our room up to an executive suite free of charge. Fantasitic room! Pool is great, breakfast is also great. The restaurant was also nice. Location wise... Its a little out of the city, 20-30 min walk. It is close to Agkor Wat though

• Stayed May 2012
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

I spent 17 days in Siem Reap and loved staying at this hotel. I usually prefer to be in the centre of town so that I can explore the town at night but it turns out it was more fun to take a tuk tuk to town for $2.00. I lucked out as I was upgraded to a deluxe suite which was huge and beautiful. As I was there for more than the usual 3 days that most people stay to take in the Temples of Angkor, I really appreciated the extra comfort it afforded. I even had a big basket of fresh fruit when I arrived that had many exotic fruits that I enjoyed sampling. The staff were incredible. All are very helpful and personable and you felt very welcome and at home which was so good especially when you are staying for a longer time. The dining room in the evening wasn 't very busy and it is too bad as the food and service was excellent. The very competent and friendly chef treated me to a special dinner compliments of the house which was so good (thanks again Chef!). Breakfast was included and there was a big assortment of Asian and Western foods. I think because I was there so long, that some of it got a bit tiresome but for those staying less than a week, the variety is more than enough.
I rented a car and driver for the first 3 days of touring the temples of Angkor and Tonle Sap floating village. But in the end I opted for a tuk tuk and found that more exciting and you got to see the villages and countryside at a slower pace and up close. I thought I would only visit a couple of temples but each one was so different that I ended up touring 22, all so awesome. As well as breakfast, free Wi-fi was included and you had the free use of computers if you didn't have your own device. When I arrived a day late because of a missed connection in Korea, there was someone there at the airport to pick me up and also very prompt in taking me back at the end of my visit.
The main fault I could find I would say would be the very hard bed and pillows. I got used to the bed but never the pillows. There was a much appreciated fridge and complimentary coffee/tea maker but I had to beg for cream for more than one cup a day. They never did understand to leave more and I had to hunt someone down every night for more.
But that is so trivial compared to the rest of the excellent care they gave me. I would recommend the place and would love to go back. Thank you to all of you at Smiling Hotel for making my visit to Cambodia awesome and very memorable.

Room Tip: If you want to wash the dust off and soak your tired bones after a day of touring the temples, you...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Not a luxurious hotel although the rooms are decent. I would say 3.5 stars for the hotel but the staff were always friendly and warm. More genuine than perhaps Thailand, which has become very "professional" with tourists. They were also helpful in advising as to where to visit and the time and distance.

The spa was excellent and very relaxing. There wasn't a lot of chatter between the masseuses, which can sometime be a bit distracting.

The breakfast was good and they cater for early departers like us.

The poolside bar was pleasant enough with a few yahoos dancing to techno music around the pool at night. I suspect if your rooms are overlooking the pool, it might be a bit noisy.

The hotel food was not expensive and on the whole decent with a few Cambodian and pseudo French dishes and we ended up eating there more often than we usually eat in hotel cafes.

On the whole, if i was coming to Siem Reap again, I would stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I choose this hotel from the trip advisor web site because it seemed to have good reviews but I have to say it was very average. Firstly I requested a pick up from the airport and waited 3 hours, even after I rang them and they said they would send a tuktuk. The hotel did reimburse me for my own taxi without compliant. The food is average and the BEDS, seriously I have slept on rocks more comfortable. The hotel gets a lot of its customers from numerous coach tours coming through and its full of fake European paintings of snow scenes some of them repeated on different floors (go figure, some nice Cambodian art wouldn't go astray, yes there is 3 I've spotted on the way to the restaurant). The internet is free and works well on the second floor where my father was staying but i had to sit in the hallway to get a decent signal on the 4th floor and the bathtub leaks everywhere. To be fair, the staff are really lovely, Sam at the front desk is excellent. The location is right in the middle of your Ankor temple visits about 15 to 20US tuk tuk ride. Good for a cheap to moderate traveler but if you looking for real comfort its not all smiling here...

Room Tip: Read the review above and you decide
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SMILINGHOELSiemReap, Front Office Manager at Smiling Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
Dear Value Guests,

Thanks for your candid comments.

After reading you value reviews, we found some misunderstanding about the pick up service. We would like to express that we have received only requested without arrival flight details from Expedia.com so we could not send the driver to wait at the airport for whole day, the customer should send the details of their arrival flight so that we are able to arrange for the pick up service. We have sent the the tuk tuk to pick you up after you rang us but at the same time you took taxi to the hotel and we (hotel) have paid for you.

The above responses are not only express on this complain but this is to notify all customers who requests for special services from the hotel.

Roth K.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights whislt visting Siem Reap. The hotel is out of 'downtown' but with remorque (tuk-tuks) at $2 it is hardly an issue.

The hotel is quite grand with excellent cheery staff. Rooms are of a 4 star standard with a large pool and all the expected facilties.

Our rate included internet access, breakfast and airport transfers. For the price it is impossible to beat. We return to Siem Reap in March 2012 and have already rebooked.

Whilst there is plenty of choice and some might want to be nearer downtown there is little to fault this well run 4-star hotel.

Room Tip: Pay a small amount extra at check in for a suite if available.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

From the time we entered the Hotel the staff all had beautiful smiles. We were greeted by Sam a young man who had similar duties of a very knowledgeable Host..and a cool juice. He was eager to provide guidance on where to go how to get there and what to look for. the rooms were in almost new condition and large. Nice pool and very reasonable Restaurant Prices. The Tuk Tuk( motorbike with a neat coach attached) Driver Mr. Vuthy was also smiling, informative, and a added character of interest. Always pleasant and eager to plese. If I were to travel back again no doubt I would stay at the Smiling Hotel. I highly recommended it. )Only change I would make is to change the name to Smiling Staff Hotel

Room Tip: talk to Sam
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Smiling Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!