We booked through the website so that we got the free round airport pick up but unfortunately after waiting for half an hour we decided to get a cab as there was no one there to pick us up. Upon arrival at the hotel we explained what had happened and apparently the driver couldn't find us so left. The fact that we arrived back at the hotel after the driver made us think that he didn't wait long enough. It only took us 20 min to get through passport control! In case this happens to you make sure you have the address as we didn't and the taxi had to phone a friend to find out where it was.
The rooms themselves are really nice although unfortunately although arriving at 3pm we did not have access to our safe as it had not been unlocked from the previous users and we had to wait for the manager to return the next day. The fan s a bit noisy but better than nothing.
My boyfriend hates geckos and unfortunately there were loads of them every where. Not much the hotel can do about this!
The pool is a welcomed haven and we enjoyed a dip at the end of long hot days.
The hotel is quite close to the main drag - maybe 10 min at the most.
Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful
The hotel arranged for a taxi to Phnom Penh costing us 70 dollars - much cheaper than I found on the internet anywhere and the driver was great.
The hotel also arranged for a car, driver (mr joy pronounced mr choy) and a guide for 2 days at a cost of 140 dollars which included a sunrise (had to leave at 5am) and a trip out to bantrei wat. Our first guide Dom was amazing but unfortunately he wasn't available the next day so we had another guide who was ok but not as good as Dom who gets booked up sometimes 2 months in advance.
The areas that could be improved is that there was no free water in the room, mini bar was expensive, breakfast was ok and even charged us for water. Towels were not changed and our rooms were not cleaned over the 4 days. Also the road to the hotel is quite dark. My boyfriend and I were ok to walk it but I wouldn't if I were with a girlfriend.
If you turn right at the hotel and turn immediately left there is a petrol station that serves. Cheap drinks etc which we used.
We had a bad start to the hotel but in terms of the trips, pool and location, this made up for it. By the way the owner Mr Hak has never been a tour guide - we asked him - he just knows the right people so we were told by many of the staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Run by a friendly khmer manager who speaks excellent English, Sonalong Village is situated in a quiet area within walking distance of the main shops, restaurants and Old Market area in Siem Reap and just 15 minutes drive from the International Airport and the Ankor Temple complex. Surrounded by beautiful flowery tropical gardens there are 8 double and 8 twin rooms, each with free Wifi, shower, A/C, ceiling fans, mini bar and private balcony. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Despegar.com and Priceline so you can book your Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sonalong Boutique Village And Resort
- Sonalong Boutique Village Hotel Siem Reap