“Good hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort

You added Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort to your Saves list
Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Street 27 | Wat Bo Village, Sala Kamreuk, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Special Offer
Direct Booking Offer
Ranked #49 of 244 Hotels in Siem Reap
Certificate of Excellence 2014
somerset
“Good hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We booked through the website so that we got the free round airport pick up but unfortunately after waiting for half an hour we decided to get a cab as there was no one there to pick us up. Upon arrival at the hotel we explained what had happened and apparently the driver couldn't find us so left. The fact that we arrived back at the hotel after the driver made us think that he didn't wait long enough. It only took us 20 min to get through passport control! In case this happens to you make sure you have the address as we didn't and the taxi had to phone a friend to find out where it was.

The rooms themselves are really nice although unfortunately although arriving at 3pm we did not have access to our safe as it had not been unlocked from the previous users and we had to wait for the manager to return the next day. The fan s a bit noisy but better than nothing.

My boyfriend hates geckos and unfortunately there were loads of them every where. Not much the hotel can do about this!

The pool is a welcomed haven and we enjoyed a dip at the end of long hot days.

The hotel is quite close to the main drag - maybe 10 min at the most.

Hotel staff are very friendly and helpful

The hotel arranged for a taxi to Phnom Penh costing us 70 dollars - much cheaper than I found on the internet anywhere and the driver was great.

The hotel also arranged for a car, driver (mr joy pronounced mr choy) and a guide for 2 days at a cost of 140 dollars which included a sunrise (had to leave at 5am) and a trip out to bantrei wat. Our first guide Dom was amazing but unfortunately he wasn't available the next day so we had another guide who was ok but not as good as Dom who gets booked up sometimes 2 months in advance.

The areas that could be improved is that there was no free water in the room, mini bar was expensive, breakfast was ok and even charged us for water. Towels were not changed and our rooms were not cleaned over the 4 days. Also the road to the hotel is quite dark. My boyfriend and I were ok to walk it but I wouldn't if I were with a girlfriend.

If you turn right at the hotel and turn immediately left there is a petrol station that serves. Cheap drinks etc which we used.

We had a bad start to the hotel but in terms of the trips, pool and location, this made up for it. By the way the owner Mr Hak has never been a tour guide - we asked him - he just knows the right people so we were told by many of the staff.

Room Tip: Upper floor for a view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thank you so much MADAM and SIR for your valued time to wrote about our resort to TripAdvisor.
I am very deeply sorry after see your mail that 4 days my housekeeping did not clean your room and change the tower, we know that it is very hard for you 4 days without cleaning the room, normally, if the room not clean nearly all the guest will come and tell us, so we do not understand about this situation that happened to you, because we have 3 ladies housekeeping and 1 man ( Supervisor ), How can this happen ? anyways, as you said I am the owner, I am not the tour guide, but I know who they are ? Hopefully to see you and your husband again for the near future.

Best regards
CHHAY HAK ( Managing Director )

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Emerging discreetly a few minutes away from the heart of Siem Reap is the refreshingly hospitable abode of Sonalong, a place that I would greatly recommend for any tourist that is coming to Siem Reap.

The area itself is small, though it turns it to its advantage, providing an experience that is cozy, accessible, and personal for the guests greatly lacked by large hotel chains. The room is much larger than expected, especially for the low price, with our package even including breakfast - something that I greatly appreciate, disliking the effort of waking up hungry and having to search for somewhere to eat. But most importantly, the service is exemplary, with each and every one of the staff eternally patient, ready to greet you whenever you walk in and out, eager to assist, guide, and serve in any way possible, and inevitably even becoming familiar to you, as each of them slowly becomes your friend. (It should be mentioned that they even provided us a room to wait for our flight late at night, without charging for an additional day!).

Ultimately, we had a heavy heart when we checked out; not just for the vacation that was ending, but also for each and every one of the waiters, waitresses, concierge, driver, and other staff (with monosyllabic names) that had become a great part of our Cambodian experience. And it is with that gratitude I feel that I applaud Sonalong Botique Village for truly being the epitome of Asian hospitality.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review about our resort to TripAdvisor.
I do hope to have a chance to see you again.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Spent 3 nights at the Sonalong last week with our intrepid family.
Rooms were very refreshing, clean bathroom, excellent cooling system and the pool very nice. Enjoyed the meals, next time i visit SR i will def consider staying at Sonalong. The laundry service not to be be faulted, all clothes returned dry and ironed. (have had it returned damp in other tropical countries)...A nice stroll into town..made easier once you know where to go lol, we got lost coming home but that was our fault..too busy looking at sights and not landmarks :)
My only complaint is that we did not stay longer :)

Room Tip: lower level...for the garden views
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review to TripAdvisor about our resort, even positive to negative to improve our facilities near the future.
I do hope to see both of you again.

Welwyn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed 10 days at Sonalong. That is much longer than most visitors to Siem Reap who come to see Angkor Wat and other temples and rarely stayed longer than 2 days. So we got to know the hotel and the staff, and its strong points and foibles. In short, we will definitely stay there again and intend to return same time (last week in October, first in November) in 2014. The hotel: it is well situated, on the 'quiet' side of the river, the Wat Bo area. It is just seven mins walk from Pub Street, the entertainment hub; but also 5 mins to the Peace Cafe, a well-known, relaxing garden cafe serving superb vegetarian food. Every room at Sonalong has its own balcony/verandah. You are paying for 3 star so don't expect top standard decor, but the rooms and beds are clean and comfortable, the wifi works, it is quiet at night, the staff are extremely friendly and helpful - young and eager to please. The hotel overtly supports 'Childsafe' policies, so no untoward visitors. The pool is small but perfect, with slight soft salt water rather than heavily chlorinated. A main feature are the lush gardens - an excellent mix of scented plants (jasmine etc) and amazing fan palms. The food is adequate. The breakfast menu covers western and Cambodian food. A platter of fresh fruit is daily placed in the fridge in the room – a nice touch. The coffee was odd but the receptive owner/manager, Mr Hak, said he was going to attend to it. And frankly, that was the only mild criticism we had - after 10 days.

Room Tip: We chose a first floor - I think there is a bit more natural breeze (though each room has A/C and a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much SIR and MADAM for your valued time to wrote a review about our resort to TripAdvisor.
I do hope to have a chance to see both of you again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Sonalong Village was recommended to me by a friend who has stayed here 3 times while helping in the training of the Cambodian Fire Service with AFIRE.
I could not have been more impressed with this restful little oasis. Mr. HAK , the general manager is a great guy who has time for every guest and has a team of friendly,helpful and polite staff around him.
The villas,although a little dated, are spacious and clean. The bathroom is large and unlike some in Vietnam...EVERYTHING WORKS !
The grounds are immaculately kept and beautiful with space between all the villas. Most of the time, I felt as though I had the place to myself even though it was 80% booked.
The pool is also fantastic after a day out exploring and there is a well stocked pool bar.
The location is on the other side of the river, which for me was a good thing, as the hotels around PUB ST. can be very noisy. A 10 min walk gets you to the market and restaurants but the best meals I had were quite close to Sonalong ( Kanell & Cuisine Wat Damnak , reviewed separately.)
Feel comfortable in allowing Mr.HAK to organise your temple tours as well. He has a good source of English speaking guides and drivers to choose from.

Thanks again Mr. Hak for a great stay, Sonalong Villas should be rated in the top 10
I will be back !

Cheers from OZ.

Room Tip: Booking directly with the resort can sometimes be cheaper than the web agency sites and can include...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote a review about our resort to TripAdvisor.
My staffs and I are very happy to see again for the near future and we will do our best all the guests who will be staying at our resort.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is my second stay at Sonalong and this time I took my family and another family, As usual we all had a fantastic time, the rooms are spacious and clean and the grounds of the hotel are spectacular. The pool area is great to lounge by after a hot day visiting temples, and the staff, well what can I say that adequately does them justice. They are fantastic, helpful, courteaous and friendly, I mean truly friendly. If you are looking for a great place to stay in Siem Reap then look no further than Sonalong Boutique Village. Mr Hak, the General Manager, or indeed any of the front office staff, will look after all your needs from arranging transfers to tours in and around Siem Reap. I will be back.

Room Tip: You will find most rooms overlook the pool but they are all well insulated from noise so this is not...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sonalong V, Manager at Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote about our resort to TripAdvisor.
I do hope to see you again next time.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is beautiful. My only complaint is outside the walls, it is a little dirty and a long lonely walk before getting into town. The grounds are well kept with lush green plants. The staff here are so humble and kind. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you so much SIR for your valued time to wrote about our resort to TripAdvisor even positive or negative.
I do hope to see you again next time.

HAK

Been to Sonalong Boutique Village & Resort? Share your experiences!