“Good value for the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of European Guesthouse

You added European Guesthouse to your Saves list
European Guesthouse
#0566, Group 2, Banteay Chas Village | Slorkram Commune, Siem Reap, Cambodia   |
Special Offer
Deals for groups
Ranked #93 of 364 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Good value for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

Nice place to stay. Good staff. Airport transfer on time and included in the price. You can book tuk tuk for Angkor Wat for 15 USD thought this hotel. And that is all there is to say because tripadvisor asks me to put 200 characters.

• Stayed January 2014
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Hi there

Thank you for the nice review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My partner and I have been travelling in Southeast Asia for 6 weeks now, staying in Guesthouses and resorts around the $20-$35 dollar mark.
Although this place wasn't 'bad' we have had better experiences for the same or cheaper price.

The rooms are fine, fairly clean etc and we didn't book in advance so we can't complain too much. Our main issue was just the amount of Mosquitos in our room, we couldn't work out where they were coming from but the bathroom was full of them, but we are reasonable people and understand that it's not exactly anyone's fault if the building is in a mosquito ridden area and we burnt our own coil overnight which seemed to do the trick.
The guesthouse location was great if you want to walk around.
The service wasn't as great as many places we have stayed, just a bit laid back, but they all seemed very nice, which I guess is the main thing!

The western food in the restaurant was great, pizza was lovely and good value.

Overall the guest house was good, but I guess the standard differs between places at the same price. I would recommend trying for yourself.

• Stayed January 2014
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Hi

Thank you for your review.

If anyone can solve the problem of mosquitos in SE Asia or anywhere else I would be delighted. We spray the rooms before guests move in but other than that not a lot we can do about it. We cant use the total fumigator service since guests would complain and mostly people just get on with it.

We try our best

Murrray
Jamaica Plain, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

European Guesthouse is affordable and you pretty much get what you pay for- reasonably clean, friendly staff, good kitchen to purchase food, and a nice community feel that makes it easy to get to know other travelers.

Downsides: a hefty walk from the main part of town (~15-20 min), for a place with "European" in the title the staff's English is quite limited, and the security is very poor. Regarding security, they'd leave room keys lying around, and when we gave them our laptop and passports to put in the Guesthouse safe, they did, and then they took the items out and left them on the shelf for two days (in plain sight) because they said they didn't have room anymore (but didn't bother to tell us they'd left them on the shelf until we went to get them at checkout).

They were great with arranging a tuk-tuk driver to pick us up from the airport and take us around the Angkor temples all day, but they were very vague about how much it would cost, which led to some awkwardness with our driver at the end of our trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi

Thank you for your review however there are a couple of points I would like to explain.

The closer you get to the town centre the more expensive rents are and accordingly accommodation will be more expensive. So it is a bit of a balance. It costs 50 cents per person to get a Tuk Tuk to Pub Street from the European but if you want to stay in the centre it might cost $10 a night more. Up to you.

Sometimes on trip advisor, although I don't want to, I have to just say when people are wrong.

Your passport and computer were brought out of the safe for your checkout. That is good service not poor security. They were not left out for two days. That would be ridiculous.

We have a locked fireproof cupboard for room keys. Sometimes guests leave keys on the reception counter and we put them away. We have a 24 hour manned reception which is unusual for small guesthouses and we lock down the front gate at night.

You used an outside Tuk Tuk service. We advise guests always not to do this.

I am from Scotland and my English is not as good as it could be but I have no trouble understanding any of my reception staff and I have to ask why the name European means that everyone has to speak good English? Our receptionist speaks very good French. The guest house across the street is called Happy Guest House ......
Auroville, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

The room I stayed in was very clean, big and had some simple and nice touches to make it more than the average guest house in the region. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom very adequate. The service at European GH is good, as they accomodated us even though there was a mix-up with our arrival dates.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are right in the middle of busy season and it is great to see that the standards are staying high.

Hope the rest of your journey / holiday is a good one.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a double room. The rooms are very spacious and clean, the bathroom is simple, but you get hot water. The Guesthouse has a restaurant, which serves all meals and is a great place to chill out. Quality of food is excellent. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You can deposit your valuables in a safe-box at the reception. The Guesthouse is very safe, as they have a strict no-outside-guests-policy. The Guesthouse has Tuk Tuk drivers under contract who pick you up for free at the Airport and take you on day trips to Angkor and Tonle Sap river, prices vary between 15 USD for a half day tour to 25 USD for a full-day tour. Our Tuk Tuk driver Hong was the best driver we ever had. He was taking very good care of us, waiting patiently when we slept too long, organized the tours to our demands, recommended places to eat and was a good friend to us. This all together made Siem Reap for us the most remarkable stay on our travel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Hi

Thank you for the review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am very proud of our staff who work so hard to make our guests welcome and comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again sometime.

sichere Reise

European.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My stay at European Guesthouse was the honestly the start of my vacation. The service here is impeccable. They e-mailed me few days before my trip asking if I require any pick up. I took up the offer, and despite constantly changing the time and bus company, they picked me up on time with no complains.

The location is hidden in a lane along Wat Bo Road, just behind Apsara New Market. Peaceful setting, close to the locals and other guesthouses too. The walk to Pub Street is a distance if you do not know your way around. But this is not really an issue since a tuk-tuk ride is just USD1.

I enjoyed my stay here mainly because of the great staff and location. I don't remember their names but everyone working here (be it the boss or the tuk-tuk driver) helped us alot during our stay. From arranging a private tour to Ang Kor Watt to making sure we weren't getting scammed.

The rooms were decent: Basic, clean and spacious. We only needed a bed and shower, as we mostly spend our days out. I would have liked if they could clean my room but hey, I only paid USD18 so I have no complains.

Stay here when you're in Siem Reap. I've seen/pass by many other guesthouses, hostels and hotels but none could beat the great vibes from here!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hi

Thank you for your very nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I have had a chat with housekeeping about the room cleaning schedule . I think the problem is that when it is very busy in high season that they sometimes don't know whether there is a guest in the room or not. Or if there is a guest whether we should disturb them . So we are arranging simple signs for the doors to let guests decide whether they want the room cleaned or not.

Merry Christmas

Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Good and cosy guesthouse! The bad thing is that it is a bit off. You'll have to walk mabye 15-20 min to the center. Most of the staff is helpful although some of them speak very bad english. The food in the restaurant isn't great and we always had to wait 20-30 mins for the food. When we used their loundry service I got a pair of underwear back that wern't mine. But I would stay there again!

• Stayed November 2013
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Hi

Thank you for the review.

We are a little bit out of the way but a lot of our guests like the quiet location and it is only a five minute Tuk Tuk ride to the centre.

I note your your comments about the restaurant. We only opened the food outlet a couple of months ago and we have been much busier than we expected. So we have now hired an extra cook and waiter to try and speed things up a bit. So hopefully that area will improve as the team gain more experience.

We use an outside laundry service for our guests and unfortunately they sometimes get a little mixed up. We have never lost anything however we occasionally have to go and sort things out. I hope you liked the new underwear :)

Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime.

Murray

Been to European Guesthouse? Share your experiences!