“SCAM- avoid this place.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Palm Garden Lodge

You added Palm Garden Lodge to your Saves list
Palm Garden Lodge
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   La Pax Hotel Street, Tapoul Village, Svaydan kum, Siem Reap. | 10 minutes walking to Market, Pub Street Area., Siem Reap 855, Cambodia   |
Ranked #96 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Nottingham
“SCAM- avoid this place.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We booked and paid via Expedia. When we arrived they asked us to fill in the usual passport forms etc and sit down, then just left us. We then overheard a couple of young girls trying to find a room by telephone and online. They had arrived and were told there was no record of their booking and payment on Agoda. Whilst we were trying to help them find a room (staff were less than energetic about helping them) I asked after about half an hour if we could have our keys as my son was being bitten by mosquitos in the reception area. They then said they had no room for us either. No sorry. It is a holiday period here so everything was booked up. They did very little to help whilst I rang around to sort it out. Not impressed.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights, and don't really have anything bad to say about this place. Yummy and free breakfast. Free wifi (yes it works), really nice staff that speak English, cable TV with over 90 channels (for those interested)...a maid cleaning our room every day. Good location too. Only a 10 minute walk from pub-street and the night marked.

• Stayed January 2013
San Lorenzo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a budget hotel, right near where the action is. I really enjoyed my four days in Siem Reap, and it’s all due to the hospitality from the staff at Palm Garden Lodge.
As a solo woman traveler, the hotel staffs made me feel comfortable, and assisted me in getting a tuk tuk driver to take me to the Angkor temples.

The price for the tuk tuk driver is very reasonable. I hired Han as my tuk tuk driver while I was in Siem Reap, and he was wonderful and very accommodating.

There is free breakfast, free cable, free wifi and the hotel is only 10 minutes walking distance from Pub Street. There are also nice cafes and restaurants nearby also. If I ever get back to Siem Reap, I would definitely stay at the Palm Garden Lodge again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

On this website, the hotel looked quite nice with a garden and a fairly cheap price. However, it really wasn't a good stay! The room was very basic, and the garden wasn't nice! You couldn't stay there in the evening due to the masses of mosquitoes! We booked the best room that included a free massage and a bottle of wine! The massage was good, but there was no wine. Instead, we were given a free meal in a buffet restaurant called Koulen. It looked good from the entrance and we were surprised, but the food was not great and the shows were pretty poor! Then the next day, both my girlfriend and I had diarrhea and vomiting. Overall, there are much better hotels in the city... Please don't stay there!

• Stayed December 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

We booked 3 nights stay through hostel bookers and ended up staying 7. We arrived at 3am after paying a tuktuk to take us as the hotel had our time as 5am. Not a problem we got there eventually. The staff are extremely friendly, always asking how you are and hoping we have a great day. The room was basic for £5 a night with hot shower and a fan. There is a fridge but we didn't use it. It did get hot in the room but it's like 35 degrees outside its expected. The free breakfast was good 2 eggs and toast. Other than breakie you'll have to walk about 5 mins to find the nearest cafe or take a 10 min walk to the town where you'll find pub street. Eat at Cambodian BBQ and try snake, croc and kangaroo and cook it yourself. They offered us a free ride into town but sometimes we walked it's not far.
I would highly recommend using the tuk tuk service for getting around Angkor. We paid $50 for 3 days. The small circuit is $18 (sunrise/sunset) the grand circuit and Banteay Srey which is far out is $25 again starting at sunrise. Our driver was Sari and his laugh was infectious. He did extra things for us like taking us down to book quad biking which btw was awesome. We paid $27 each and rode around the countryside, villages and paddy fields an excellent way to finish a brilliant week.
Overall the staff helped us out and went that extra mile with service. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at the Palm Garden Lodge for 4 days in the month of July. I was on my virgin backpacking trip across 4 countries, and I must say, aside from my volunteering stint in Vietnam, Siem Reap gave me the most beautiful memories that I will always hold and cherish.

Upon arrival in Siem Reap, I was knackered with the weight of my backpack and fatigue from travelling in a tiny cramped up van (advertised as a bus, no less) from Phnom Penh. My tuk-tuk driver had a horrible sense of direction and kept taking me to dark bumpy lanes with dead ends. We asked three people along the way for directions and finally ended up at the place close to 11pm. He asked for more money (naturally) but the receptionist was kind enough to bargain with him and tell him it was his own fault and not mine. I found it really nice, actually.

While checking in, I saw a group of local men sitting at the one of the tables at the outdoor common room and they gave a really warm welcome by inviting me to have a round of drinks with them. I politely declined as I was tired and thought of just crashing onto the beds. The rooms were quaint and homely and I expected far worse with the price I paid, but I was pleasantly surprised. There wasn't any hot water but the weather was hot enough. My room didn't have any air conditioning but that was fine with me because the room gave off a really cozy vibe.

I later found out that the group of men outside were actually the staff there and I grew to really enjoy their company. They're amazing people who are cheerful, kind and always ready to assist you in whatever way they can. Being a solo traveler, it was extremely lovely to feel included in this pseudo exclusive band of khmer brothers .

One particular staff at the hostel that really made my journey worthwhile was a guide named Wonder. Like his name suggests, he truly was one of the great wonders of Cambodia. He was an amazing guide that gave great insight on Cambodia and their Hindu/Buddhist culture, with small anecdotes laced with wry and witty humour. He brought me to places where not many tour guides would conventionally bring their guests as the journey is quite tumultuous, but trust me it was worth every second and every cent.

That's not to say that the other staff were not as memorable. The owner Adan knew some great spots to catch sunsets and get some local grub. There are always tuk-tuks at the lodge that are driven by their own guys so it's more trustworthy in that sense. The staff are so friendly that they'd always invite me to wherever they were going. I loved their spontaneity and their sense of adventure.

All in all, I recommend the Palm Garden Lodge to anyone whose enjoys a humourous, fun-loving, fuss-free, easy-going and adventurous environment. Chaproi!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Siem Reap, Cambodia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We booked online and got set up for 4nights at the Palm Garden Lodge. Upon arriving after the long and adventurous day of travel we asked if they had space available for our friends we met along the way to stay there as well. They told us they were fully booked and sent the girls off to find somewhere else. So we proceeded to walk in and begin the check-in process... After filling out the paper work (passport and contact info etc...) they told us that we would not be staying there at the hotel and that because of other people wanting to "extend" we were forced to go to their friends guesthouse 300m away... We were hesitant but said that we understand and agreed to head to the other guest house and check it out. After the tuk-tuk driver dropped us off we got the key and went upstairs to take a look. The door was rusted metal and dented in, the room had no furniture except for two beds pulled away from the wall into the center with old ratted linens and an old tiny tv, it was not at all what we signed up for. Dont get me wrong, we are adventurous young guys who travel the world for a living and love to roll with the punches, but i couldn't imagine having to pay for a room here, yet alone agree to stay here having not actually chosen it ourselves. Needless to say, The Palm Garden Lodge was cute outside and although as really rude and all together bored looking the front desk guy was we might have wanted to actually stick around there, but after a day of traveling to Siem Reap the last thing you EVER want to do is pay a tuk-tuk driver to take you to the place you paid for and done a bunch of research on, just to have to turn around and find a new place right after with NO time for research and a desperate need for a nice long shower. We once again understand that stuff happens, but I will NOT spend a few hours in the morning checking out of my crap hotel and then moving to the Palm Garden Lodge and having to re-check in when they're ready for us a day or two later when i have a limited time here to see the Beauty of the city and as many temples as one can in such a short time! This is my vacation!

Room Tip: good luck.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Angkorsolida, Owner at Palm Garden Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks for choosing and staying in our lodge.

We would like to take this opportunity to apologize regarding
to the mentioned inconvenience which had happened to you.

The staff who handled your case, he decided make extension one room for other guest as they’re staying with us one week already, and during they have problem with their “Extend Visa and Passport”, they waited only one day to get it. So we just wanted to help them to made easy way for them. We knew it already about this thing. If I keep one for you at that time, I still have one mistake as well, because we’re not good enough to help the guests as they met the problem.

We always try our best to treat all of our valued guests with
sincere, helpful and polite manner.

We sincerely apologize again for any uncomfortable feeling
that you had bad experienced at that time.

We thank you for your precious comments, and we will
surely improve our weaknesses.
Please forgive the mistake which we made. We really
look forward to serve you again in the future.
Many thanks.

Been to Palm Garden Lodge? Share your experiences!