“Awesome!!” 5 of 5 stars

Banteay Srei | Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 103 attractions in Siem Reap
Type: Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins, Landmarks/ Points of Interest
Attraction Details
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
“Awesome!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Worth to visit!! Hire a tuk tuk driver and tour guide to visit here. The tour guide will plan the itinerary for you.

Visited October 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
maj65
7 attraction reviews
“They say that this temple may have been a place of learning.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

I loved this temple. It felt like a university and they say it may have been one. Small but beautiful.

Visited August 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Good place to visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

It is on the way from Bantey srei temple so it would be a good combination to visit. the place is 3 usd for the tickets. it is a good museum. I can recommend it to tourists.

Visited May 2014
Essendon, Australia
15 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

This temple is a little way out from the most popular circuits travelled around Angkor, but it's an easy 60 minute bike ride from Siem Reap, taking you past some less crowded areas and temples, and through the village of Pradak, which is fascinating in itself.
Banteay Samre is a relatively small, but quite intact temple built in a similar style to its great big brother, Angkor Wat. The buildings are in very good condition, and work in beautiful harmony together. The dried out moats in the middle of the courtyards are very pretty spaces. There's some wonderful carvings, and a lovely central sanctuary which again is like a mini Angkor Wat.
One tip: the entrance to this temple is from the north. Make sure you turn left once you enter, and walk round to, and out of, the east gate, to see the remains of the very impressive causeway complete with lion statues leading to the east gate entrance.

Visited June 2014
Manila, Philippines
140 attraction reviews
“Cute little temple”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I loved this temple, it's smaller than the famous Angkor Wat of course, but it's a quaint one. It's far from the main Angkor area, about an hour to get there but it's worth going to see. The color of the temple is a bit pinkish which is quite different from the usual temples we have visited. The detailed carvings also offer an interesting twist.

The area seems to be managed quite well, you can see some of the staff roving the area. A lot of locals too, who visit towards the end of the day. The lighting was great also towards the end of the day, but I did read that the pinkish colors stand out more during early mornings.

Not crowded at all, and this allows us to have a relaxing walk to and around the temple. I think this is the best way to really appreciate the serenity of the place.

We did this as part of a Beng Mealea, Kbal Spean and Bantay Srei loop, so our last stop was Bantay Srei. Great way to end the day and the overall temple visit, we went to the main Angkor temples the day before.

Bantay Srei is part of the Angkor Wat ticket so make sure you have a valid one.

As with any temple, there are kids selling postcards, souvenirs, etc. One particular kid was trying to sell me a pack of 12 postcards for USD1. Expecting that they will be pushy, I told him that I already have one and no I'm not interested in getting another. But this kid was smart, he stayed on to show me where the entrance is, walk beside me until the entrance and answered my questions and told me that he will wait for me outside and maybe I'll buy his postcards later, without sounding like pushy or whiny. And indeed, I saw him running back to me with a big wide smile on his face when we came out. And because he wasn't pushy, I decided to buy a pack of postcards from him :-)

Visited June 2014