“Avoid at all costs! Horrible crap-tel” 1 of 5 stars

Royal Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   553 E Absecon Blvd, Absecon, NJ 08201   |
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Absecon
Baltimore, Maryland
“Avoid at all costs! Horrible crap-tel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

First off, I read the reviews before coming to this motel and was expecting bad but not this bad...This place had to have been the worst place I have ever stayed at! We got to the door and the window of the room was wide open, we couldn't even enter the room with our key so we decided to crawl in through the window.

The room had a "non-smoking" sign on the door but clearly was a smoking room.The room reeked of cigarettes and urine. Their were blood stains all over the sheets and pillows, the drawers even had used cups, the room clearly had not been cleaned. The bathroom was filled with delightful smells of urine, the shower had pubic hairs all over and stains on the tub.

Overall, avoid this place at all cost. You are better off sleeping in the car.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about this. When you arrived at your room, did you let our staff know that the key didn't work and that the room wasn't cleaned? We would have promptly issued you a clean room—you definitely shouldn't have to sleep in a place where you feel uncomfortable. This is inexcusable. Above all, our guests' happiness comes first, so I want to personally apologize for this frustrating experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation. I'm happy to discuss any more comments or concerns you have.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

.upon arriving there were kids with their toys playing in front of the office door which was locked you had to ring a buzzer to get in. Asked if we could see our room first.. he told us to go one way and he went another and would meet us there but not before telling us that if we cancelled we would lose one paid day (really?)...OK ...so when we met him at the room he was walking around in the room spraying air freshener but the can was down by his leg (HE WAS TRYING TO HIDE IT!!!) the room had an awful musty smell, dirt on the carpets, blinds filthy ..this was a "non" smoking room but had burn marks on night stand and walls, curtains and lamp cover was yellow from smoke. ...bathroom dirty...tub had patch job done to it...tv , frig and microwave unplugged and TV didn't work!! so he spent about 1 hr of our vacation time in the room trying to fix it (which HE didn't) so he offered another room. ok so this room is a little cleaner ...doesn't reek too bad and TV works (but the remote was sticky and dirty!), wi fi also with cables hanging everywhere!! OMG...thankfully I brought our own comforters and sheets. During the night...holy crap thought the people above us were going to come thru the ceiling or front door(130am-330am)noisy inconsiderate people!!!...They lived there!!! shower was clogged.... was afraid to go barefoot......gross! only spent one LoNNGGGG night there and asked for refund ...no can do...well no can do this place any longer so we left and took a loss. would of much sooner stayed under the piers with the cats ...ewwwwwwww!!!
oh yah.....went for ice and the machine was broke so went to the office.....he brought out a tray from refrigerator and dumped it in a container(after having touched it AND it wasn't all the way frozen) told me to use it sparingly...OH hell No!!!! you can keep your damn ice!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Cindy, I'm sorry to hear about your rather disappointing experience with us. Above all, our guests' happiness and well-being is always top of mind, so this review raises a red flag. I apologize if you thought the first room we showed you was untidy. I can promise you we take cleanliness very seriously — we've passed every health code test with flying colors. That being said, I'll definitely take these comments to heart.

While I'm glad you thought the second room was a bit better, I'm sorry for the loud noises you heard during the night. Did you let someone at the front know about this? We would have been happy to speak to your neighbors for you. We'd never want you to have an uncomfortable stay with us, so I just want to apologize once again. I appreciate your feedback and will be sure to look into this for you.

Pennsville, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

If your looking for a cheap place this is it ,First you must know there is a sign in the office that state " NO REFUND" ten minutes after we hand you the key ! every extra hour past checkout time is $10.00 per hour. We had a Jr jacuzzi suite. First we couldn't even unlock the door the motels clerk came down and said just turn key 2 1/2 times to the left.Then we walked into the room which stunk like mold and mildew the carpets are nasty don't forget to bring house shoes. Old box tv's refrigerator didn't work dirt on the bathroom floor sand on the blankets. Then we needed ice , the machine was broken. Motel clerk told us come to the office I have ice ! My bf goes to the office and the hotel clerk goes in the back opens a freezer and starts whacking a block of ice with a hammer after he breaks a chunk off and throws it in a bowl. At this point my bf kindly declines the motel clerks insists he take it and just put some water on it. The Jacuzzi was so outdated it had rust in the jets after 2 hrs tub never filled. There is no continental breakfast.WE NOW know we will spend the extra money somewhere else. Absolutely Disgusting

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I apologize for just now getting back with you, but I wanted to respond to this review personally. I'm sorry you were so disappointed with us. Above all, we want our guests to have an enjoyable and relaxing stay, so the fact that you had such an unpleasant experience raises a red flag.

Did you let us know that your room was dirty and that there was an issue with the Jacuzzi? We would have immediately come to your assistance. Your room should have been clean from the get-go, so I want to apologize if this caused you any frustration. I'm sorry our clerk's method of getting ice for you guys was unconventional. We appreciate this feedback.

Once again, I am truly sorry for your underwhelming experience. Please let me know if you would like to continue this conversation. I'm confident we can impress you moving forward.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The only thing I could say that the owner try to be helpful but he dose not realize that the place ( I can not call it Hotel or Motel ) need to be turn down and rebuild it again .....There is nothing in the room and what we had in the room did not work ...I could say they have a falls advertising what you see in the net for this place is not real ..... Blinders half way missing , no place to hang your clothes , no wifi nothing in the bathroom works and more to say ...PS there was 3 more people same time they have more problem with the owner to get refund but he did not do it ......not recommended at all .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Ali. While I appreciate you mentioning that I was trying to be helpful, I'm sorry you were so disappointed during your visit. Did you let us know about your WiFi or that nothing in your bathroom was working? We would have been happy to assist you or help you switch rooms. I apologize if this caused you any frustration—that certainly wasn't our intention. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I took my family to this place on 5/17/13. I should have just walked out when I was watching the drug head learn how to check people in. When we went to our room OMG. Nasty I wouldnt let my dog stay there. Smelled like urin the sheets had dirt and hair all over them. The ceiling had food or somthing on it. The carpet was horrible. I could go on and on. I complained but did not get a refund. But we did not stay we took the lose and went to another hotel. I had to get a shower just from walking in the room and walking out.

• Stayed May 2013
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I'm sorry you had such a poor experience with us. I would have responded sooner, but I'm just now seeing this review. I'm not sure who you were referring to during your check-in process, but I can promise you we don't allow drugs of any kind at our hotel. We also take cleanliness very seriously, so I want to apologize for the discomfort you experienced while staying in your room. I would be happy to continue this discussion if you would like to speak over the phone. Once again, I am truly sorry for your unfortunate experience.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

My room was dirty with a royal pine air fresher hanging from the light. The toilet us leaking and leaning to the side. The bed sheets were dirty. There were vending machines right outside my door. There was construction going on until 1 o clock in the morning. The room smelled like mole. We were actually sick when we left. They have a no refund policy because the hotel is NASTY!!!!! Please dont waste your money. This hotel need to charge by the hour because thats all its worth!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I know it's been quite a while since you wrote this, but I just wanted to apologize for your upsetting experience. Did you let us know about any of the issues you were having? We would have been happy to offer you another room. We take cleanliness very seriously, so I can promise you we would never intentionally want to make you feel uncomfortable. Please let me know if you would like to continue this discussion.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and it was nice. This hotel is horrible now. The carpet was filthy,the ceiling in the bathroon leaked aside from feeling like it was a freezer in there, the room smelled funny, you could see the compound around the sink and base of walls, no continental breakfast as stated and house keeping woke us up 3 times after I told her we wasn't due to check out. It's better to spen the extra dollars if you can to stay somwehere else. This hotel is HORRIBLE!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Baldev P, Owner at Royal Lodge, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
I know it's been quite some time since you wrote this, but I just wanted to respond personally. I'm sorry we didn't live up to your expectation the second time around. Cleanliness is a big concern of ours, so I apologize if you felt uncomfortable in any way. Above all, our customers' happiness is always top of mind, so we would never intentionally want to cause you any frustration. Please give me a call if you would like to continue this discussion. I'm happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

Baldev Patel, Owner

Been to Royal Lodge? Share your experiences!