“Great hostess, delicious soups and the best coconut custard pie!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Bayside, New York
“Great hostess, delicious soups and the best coconut custard pie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I visit the Phoenix every time I visit Atlantic City. I actually leave the casino to go eat there rather than eat at the pricey restauants in A.C. Easy parking and only a few minutes from Atlantic City.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Somers Point, New Jersey
“Dinner was so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

On September 21st my granddaughter & I stopped into the Phoenix Diner in Absecon for an early dinner. Not very many cars outside but then it was a little early for the dinner crowd. When we went in we were immediately greeted by a friendly hostess who seated us in the dining area of the diner. That was a good thing for me as I wanted to relax and be in a quiet area, and it was. Although I've eaten there once before, this was the first time I was in the dining room. The booths were comfy and the room nicely decorated.
Our waitress came over fairly fast. We were only one of two booths occupied. Our dink order was taken and came back fast. Then there was a lull. It was a while before she came back & took our order. I ordered the chicken Francsaise, mashed potatoes & apple sauce (none of the other vegetables appealed to me). My granddaughter ordered the honey-dipped chicken, carrots and a caesar salad.
My dinner was supposed to have a light-lemon sauce on it. The lemon-sauce was so overpowering it was hard to eat. There were 4 good-sized pieces of chicken. I could only eat 2. Not because there were so many but because of the sauce. The mashed potatoes had an o.k. flavor but were dry and not creamy. My granddaughter got 3 pieces of chicken. She ate one small one & part of a 2nd. She said although the flavor was good, the chicken was a little dry. She said the carrots had no flavor at all so she only ate one bite. Her salad was good. Her dinner came with 3 large onion rings which she did not eat. I specifically stated I did not want any soup or salad & we didn't want any bread (we never eat it & I don't like to waste food). She didn't want the onion rings but we didn't realize it would stil come with it even though we specifically said just the chicken and carrots. She asked for home-fires as her potatoe of choice & said they weren't bad & did eat all of them.
We finished our dinner and although the waitress did come back to ask if our dinner was o.k. (pleasant waitress, I might add) and later asked if we wanted desert, there was a long wait between our finishing our dinner and her coming back to take the plates. Got a couple of boxes for my granddaughter to take the leftovers home.
I would go back again as my first visit there, although in the regular diner part, was good. Just wouldn't order the same items.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlantic City
“Great Diner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Great service, food, atmosphere and more. This place has been in Absecon for over a decade for a reason. All the meats are cooked and prepared at the diner. All baking is on the premises. All the food is cooked fresh. Service is outstanding, very fast. Anyone that has worked in the food/beverage industry knows that breakfast should not take long at all. The grill is very hot and eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc take no time to cook. It is definitely not precooked. I recommend this diner to anyone. The management knows exactly what they are doing. Very clean. My friend works for the board of health and told the Diner has always scored over 90 on each test. Prices are fair. Menu is huge with great variety. Soups, gravies, sauces, cream chip beef, corned beef hash, etc are all homemade.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
maryland
“Great service; Great food; Decent prices”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Ate breakfast and dinner at Phoenix Diner. Food was very good. Had a plain egg omelette for breakfast and it comes with toast and potatoes for around $5.00. It was very good and very quick. We were surprised because it was Sunday morning and it was somewhat crowded. We waited less than 10 minutes for our breakfast. Ate dinner at Phoenix also. Had the Hot Turkey (open faced) dinner. It came with 2 sides and cranberry sauce. I don't remember how much this was because my Mom paid for this meal. Service both times was excellent. Restaurant was very clean and the food was really good. Definitely will eat here again next time I'm in the area and will recommend it as well.

Visited August 2012
New Jersey
“extra charges”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

service slow but on top of that they charged me for extra cheese without telling
me. I eat out all the time, this was first time it happened. I wonder if this is
even legal - not to inform consumer of extra charge. Don't go there you never
know.