“This place was SO filthy!” 1 of 5 stars

Dr. Jonathan Pitney House
57 North Shore Road, Absecon, NJ 08201   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Absecon B&B and Inns
Nashua, New Hampshire
“This place was SO filthy!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

We didn't even stay the night!
There were many things that needed doing to make this place the type of B&B you would want to stay at, but the main thing was the cleanliness.....or lack of! I went to the bathroom, and there was dried urine on the floor,and on the inside of the toilet seat. The sink had a cobweb in it, and black shavings, the bed was SO hard and creaked as you sat on it. There was a chair in the room, and the arm came off as my fiance touched it to move the chair. The paint was peeling off the bathroom wall, and wall paper was peeling off in the bedroom.
This room had not even been cleaned prior to our stay. When we drove up, you park around the back, and it looked like a junk yard... bottles of anti freeze, and junk lying around.
We have stayed in beautiful B&B's, and love the B&B experience....this was not one of them!!!!
We booked into a Fairfield by Marriott, and spent the night in a clean room!
Avoid this place, it's disgusting!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at the Pitney House and had a great time. It is a unique historic home that is owned by a very nice person. The price was reasonable, especially on a Saturday night in July and it is located only a few minutes from Atlantic City. It is a great alternative to staying at the expensive hotels on the boardwalk and you also get breakfast! The breakfast served was a homemade muffin followed by the best french toast that I ever tasted! I am looking forward to staying there agin some time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Newtown, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2010

This is a building that was built in about 1840 (there is another attached building that was built in 1799) and restored in 1997. It was owned by it's namesake, who designed Atlantic City and arranged for the railroad to go there from Philadelphia. I think he stole the street names from the monopoly game. The owner is a really nice guy about 73 years old, and manages it with the occasional help of his daughters that live nearby. I kind of feel a little guilty writing this, buy the truth is the truth. The room we stayed in had one of the worst beds I've ever slept in. The mattress had a solid metal bar inside around the top edge of the bed, and was so worn that the top formed a deep V shape. Every time I got in I slid to the middle and had to climb back up towards the edge to keep from cruching my wife. The air conditioner was the kind that has the entire unit inside and just a hose for the condenser exhaust going out the window. That makes it very loud, as both parts of a regular window unit (indoor and outdoor) are inside the room. It's also very inefficient, as the unit uses previously cooled room air to cool the condenser. It was undersized, and was turned off when we left the room, so the room temperature was above 85 every time we came back in. The unit in our room didn't require a bucket for the condensate, it used the hot condenser air to move the water out the window vent. The one in my wife's brothers room shut off in the middle of the night because it's bucket was full, he had to empty it himself at 3:00 in the morning to get it to start again. In fairness, it was 100 degrees the days we were there. The TV is, at best, a 15" set, and even when the volume was all the way up it could not be heard above the noise made by the air conditioner. Sheets and such were very nice and clean, but things that should be done on a minimum weekly basis, such as mirrors and windows, hadn't been done in a long time, there was a grimy film on them.
Breakfast the first day consisted of a muffin (very good), a fresh fruit cup (also very good), and French toast with fresh fruit. I was told that the french toast was good by my wife, but since I don't care for French Toast I have to take her word.. The lack of protein in the breakfast was conspicuous, one would expect a little more at a B&B.
Breakfast the second day consisted of a muffin (very good), a fresh fruit cup (also very good), and French Toast , this time without the fresh fruit, but already drenched with real maple syrup. I The lack of protein in the breakfast was conspicuous, one would expect a little more at a B&B. Also a little repetitous. If you are diabetic I strongly suggest letting the owner know. This is the first time I've ever seen syrup applied by the "waiter" (owner), usually you get to put the amount you want or don't want on yourself.
Considering the fantastic, historic building this place has immense potential. I think it's simply a matter of needing a little more capitol investment, and that the owner is a little too senior to keep up with things. On the positive side, the room was only $119/day on the July 4th holiday, so one couldn't really expect too much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

not clean....I believe the B&B had boarders that lived upstairs.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

My fiance and I decided to do something completely dif - out of the ordinary AC trip etc. This was our first experience at a BB - and I haveto tell you it was the first of what will be many. The min we came upon the Pitney House from the road we knew this was going to be a memorable time. Don our host and the proud owner of The Pitney House was just amazIng and accomodating. We needed wine glasses and a cork opener and he was just a phone call away - and it minutes he was there. The Victoria Room was so elegan. As soon as Don opened the door to our room it oozed romance. Almost instantly puts you in the mood for LOVE for those of you who are interested. BTW - the bed is beautiful - however, it squeaks quite a bit so if your shy there's always the floor lol
Breakfast was fir for a king. Egg souffle, fresh fruit and muffins to die for. It really felt like home away from home but, with a romantic twist.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
central jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Cheap rooms, easy access to AC and beach. Needs some cleaning and spiffing (dusty/cobwebs, and some worn/dirty rugs). But bed/bath area were clean which are what counts. Delicious filling breakfasts!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Having read the previous reviews on trip advisor, i was a little hesitant about staying at the Dr Jonathan Pitney House, however was swayed by the photos on the website. I am so glad we did stay as we had a great time, and it was just a shame we couldn't make more of our stay. If you want a modern hotel, with full modern amenities, fixtures and fittings, go and stay in the Hilton at double the price. If however you like interesting, unique and historic places with character, and owners with stories to tell then this is the place. Our room was beautifully decorated, with lovely touches such as an antique hat pin holder and antique mirror and brush sets as decoration. The bathroom was gorgeous with an old fashioned bath and shower set up and lovely soft towels. Okay, so it takes a minute or two to figure out the taps, but really, its not that hard and the shower had great pressure and plenty of hot water - that is more than can be said for many hotels. We arrived in a hurry and had to quickly dump our suitcases and turn around, the owners very kindly dropped us at the train station (a 5 min walk away) to ensure we made our train. I thought that was great service! On checking in, the owner also told us a little of the history of the house and Dr Pitney which was very interesting.
Breakfast the next morning was fabulous - rum muffins (huge, you may want to share) and a great cheese soufflé which was exactly what was needed after a night out in AC. Again we had to leave in a hurry which was a real shame as i would love to have lingered.
The B&B is very convenient for trains to A.C, however you need to check the timetable as they are not that frequent. It is about $30 in a taxi which was great considering how much cheaper it was than staying in A.C. If walking from the train station, the entrance is around the back - it took us a minute or two to find it.
Finally a nice touch after leaving was receiving an email thanking us for staying - it makes you feel a valued guest.
Overall i would recommend this to anyone that likes staying in fun, quirky places that have a historic style to them. I would go back to explore the small town and surrounding areas more.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Dr. Jonathan Pitney House? Share your experiences!