“postman” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Absecon
New York City, New York
“postman”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I noticed all the other reviews were 2 years old or more. These rooms were redone with furniture updated. Rooms were bright and airy, with a lot of non smoking rooms available. I have stayed here quite often since the remodeling and I definitely would recommend the STARLITE as a good budget motel close to AC. It's a big improvement since the previous comments.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Manalapan, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

room was prepaid prior to check in yet somehow I was charged again by the desk clerk...room was rundown and had musty odor & found dead insert of unknown species under a pillow...I stayed at the Superlodge a few months ago & would go there again instead of this place.

Room Tip: old saying "you get what you pay for" certainly applies in this case - spend a little more...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Howell, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This motel needs to be shut down and investigated. I checked in and the motel clerk approached the desk stoned. She looked like she was on something, what I dont know. We rang the bell 20 times when she finally buzzed us in. We check in and the smell was horrid upon first opening up the door. The smell was combination of dirty locker room, dirty socks, and linen that was never watched, and heavy pipe smoke. I can take some pipe smoke but there heavy cig smell. The walls were yellow, and the sheets were pretty much the same color as the walls. I noticed when removing the blankets there was hair ( YES! human hair I think) or a dog, all over the sheets. There was dirt or sand in the bed, and the pillows, blankets, and sheets were submerged in nicotine. We had to have the door open at night, to get ventilation since the ac did not work. I checked in late and so was terribly tired, and crashed. I woke up gasping for air because the smoke got worse around the 7am hour. If I did not know any better it felt like smoke was blowing out of the ducts. There was mold smell and visible mold in the tub. Soap bars that were half open, and when i opened up the toliet bowl it was clogged . There are no windows for ventilation in the bathrooms, and it appears they were covered up with some wood or board that they nailed last minute. There was graffiti on the boards. I have reported this to the board of health in the city, and making other complaints. I am so very thankful I did not bring my daughter on this trip. It would have landed her in the emergency room. Please shut this motel down , and make sure this motel has available maids on the premises . It does not look like a maid works here, and there was clerk either upon check out. I agree with the comments as i commented a few hours after checking in it does feel like your sleeping in a lung cancer alley or dumpster. Its sad that these comments are dated back from 2009 and no one has checked out this place. Do not go here: Warning: If you have immune problems, allergies, or furthermore a set of lungs. DO not check in, sleep in your car if you need to..I had to remove myself and check out early or I would have had a full blown asthma attack from the mold

Room Tip: STAY AWAY! RUN..SLEEP IN YOUR CAR?. Dont expose your lungs. Call for help. Call the board. REPORT.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
NEW JERSEY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed in this motel two times this summer because it was the cheapest room for Fr and Sat in AC area. It's not Days Inn or La Quinta definitely, but we did not see what others clients described as smelly, dead bugs, black deadly mold, cockroaches, stains on sheets, etc, Bed linen was new and clean, bed was comfortable, though our blankets had many holes on both visits and carpet needs to be cleaned or changed. It's thru that there were not any shampoo or lotion, no breakfast. But we can't rate it as a HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE! Friendly enough stuff with absolutely acceptable and understandable English.
I would appreciate hair dryer and shampoo but we got what we paid for (roof and decent bed to sleep for one night) . ). By the way both times motel had no vacancy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have never ever been presented with anything like this before. The rooms were smelly..smell of mildrews, carpet was filthy. there was no way I would have spent a second in this dump. I would have rather spend the night in my car than stay at the DIVE......I quickly took off.

Room Tip: don't go there...
Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
twinsmommyy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This was the worst, I repeat worst "hotel" ever!!!!! You would be better off sleeping in a dumpster and at least it wouldn't cost you 85 dollars to do so.

I booked on hotwire because it was compared to as a days inn... hell no, not even close. It was 2pm and the cluttered dead bug infested lobby was locked. When the person answered he barely spoke english and handed us our key to our room... the screen to the window was torn as in someone broke in already, but now I am guessing someone was scratching to get out!

So the room was nasty as you can tell from the pics I took. I am very pregnant with twins and I was going to deal with the nastiness of stains everywhere... even on the lamps... but as you can see there was black (deadly) mold all over the windows. We demanded a clean room or a refund and they were unable to provide either (and the worker yelllllllled at us for being upset about the state of the rooms). We left and got refunded through hotwire and stayed at days inn... which was beautiful!

Do not stay here... would I recommend this hotel to a friend?!?!?! I wouldn't even recommend to an enemy!

Do not stay, do not stay!! this place needs to be shut down before someone seriously dies! Oh ya it was so smokey that we couldn't breathe! And we opened the refrigerator.... more mold. I'm just surprised they could hide the cockroaches for the 30 minutes we were in there... they were probably in the sheets (which had stains on them!!!)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Trevorton, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I was told this was a ** star motel. I wouldn't say it is even a * star. I have seen * star motels that are cleaner, offer a continental breakfast, plus the little trial size bottles of shampoo/conditioner/lotion. This has absolutely nothing. I booked this motel using Hotwire (bad choice). I know I will not use Hotwire ever again. This motel is supposed to be comparable to Days Inn, Comfort Inn and LaQuinta. That gave me a good laugh when I pulled in the parking lot. This motel is a far cry from that. There is a coffee pot in the 2 x 4 lobby that is never used. When we pulled in the parking lot, I knew when I only saw 2 cars parked that this was very bad. Tip: Sleep with your clothes on too. In fact, don't sleep here at all, go anywhere else! Oh, by the way, don't try to talk to the managers, they don't speak Englsh very well it seems. This was the most horrible experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Starlite Motor Inn? Share your experiences!