“Best pizza!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Best pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I love Sorrento, and it's a favorite of the folks I work with, so this is our go-to spot when there are celebrations or festivities or just if you want pizza. Our Beninese colleagues go here to order slabs of meat, fish, or prawns, but my favorite is the pizza. It's very thin crust, nice rich cheese, and always with an olive in the middle. The spicy oil accompanies it nicely.

I also dream about their salade de couer de palmier avec avocat et crevettes. I love this salad. I cannot review any others, because I have never gotten past how good this one is. I wish they delivered!

Visited June 2013

82% Recommend
Syracuse, New York
“Dashed expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant for many years. I always loved the atmosphere and the food but recently I had a decidedly negative experience.

I went there with two friends. Both friends ordered fish dishes (can't remember which ones) and I ordered vegetarian lasagna. We had our appetizers which took rather a long time to come but mine, especially, was excellent: frog legs. The main dishes took much longer to come; really a long wait. By the time they came we were really ready to leave. I wanted to try my friends' fish; I took one bite out of the first one and it was inedible. It was very obviously spoiled. I did not even taste the other one. Then my lasagna was delivered but it was not vegetarian. We sent the fish and the lasagna back. I wanted to cancel them but they insisted on replacing them. My friend who got the good fish decided to take his away as he was no longer hungry. We ended up doing the same with our food when it was finally delivered.

I felt they should have removed at least one of those dishes from the bill but they did not. We paid the full bill and left without leaving a tip. That was my last visit to that restaurant, regrettably. I used to love it.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Monroe, Wisconsin
“Very good find.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was recommended by a new friend. They earned my trust with this one. We will return here again when we return to Cotonou.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Banjul, Gambia
“Tough to locate, but worth the effort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Good food, decent service..very jovial Maitre'd.. Took a good time locating the Restaurant, tucked away behind the Hall des Arts. Excellent ambience ..and especially after the horrendous Lunch experience at Chez Clarisse, found Le Sorrento a wonderful experience

Visited September 2012
“Disgusting and arrogant - HEALTH WARNING”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Went here with two colleagues on 23/05. We each ordered starter and maincourse.

The starters was a prawn salad. The two people who had the prawn salad, both had to stop eating after having 2-3 small prawns. It was disgusting. Even looking at the prawn, you could see this was not fresh - the taste was worse and smell was horrible. This was nowhere close to fresh seafood at all - it seemed like it was in process of rottening! Yrgh! We notified the waiter, that just took the plates away.

Then maincourse came. One steak, two dishes with seafood. The steak was the most local meat you could find i think, it wasn't good at all, albeit the french fries were ok. The seafood dishes had the same issue as the prawns initially. The lobster smelled like ammonia and so did the jumbo prawns. We again notified the waiter who decided to take the plates away.

We were of course very annoyed with the servings we had, so we went ahead and ordered the bill. All items were there, no reductions. We went ahead to talk to the waiter, who directed us towards the manager. We met the manager - a Beninoise - of the most arrogant kind. He bluntly said no refunds, no discount. "You could just have let me cook you another dish", as he said - something you absolutely don't want to, when you have eaten food of such poor quality. I have never ever encountered such arrogant attitude in a restaurant, whether discount or not, I frankly don't care - but the attitude ruined it all.

On to later the next day two out of three of us has stomach issues. While we can't say with certainty Sorrento caused this, then we have little doubt.

We will obviously never visit this place again. It could have been so easy for the restaurant to solve this, but they choose not to.

If you stop by this restaurant, then all you need to do is stop for a minute outside the door and take a deep breath. You will get the idea of the hygiene conditions around here.

Very bad experience.

One upside: The juice was alright and coke was cold.

• Visited May 2012