“My most disastrous experience in a restaurant” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 45 Restaurants in Cotonou
Cuisines: European
Banjul, Gambia
“My most disastrous experience in a restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

We were a group of 8 and walked in at half past noon. Though they had only 2 or 3 other clients,n strangely our drinks order took close to an hour to come. The food took close to 3.PM and arrived cold and unappetising. The order was wrong for a few. The owner was around and didn't bother to appease us. I returned my dish offering them as compliments of the guest to the chef!! The poor waiter had to bear the brunt of our displeasure. Despite the terrible experience, we gave the waiters a tip. Chez Clarisse came recommended and turned out to be a nightmare. We went and bought croissants and eventually went back to the Novotel for sandwiches.

Visited September 2012

Luanda, Angola
“Review About Chez Clarisse Guest House”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Located next to the US Embassy and opposite the more expensive but newer Hotel Zenith (which might be worth a try if Chez Clarisse is full) in a quiet side lane, this seven room guesthouse fills up quickly. The owner is the son of a former General and he has assembled extremely helpful staff (Richard and Che) to run the place. (The air conditioning stopped working in my room and the repairman wasn’t available until the next day so they moved me to another room and carefully recreated the way I had left my belongings in the new room.) Call ahead and your booking will be honored.

The rooms feature big beds, air-conditioning and fans, a small TV (French news and sports channels only) and a spacious bathroom with bathtub (some rooms also have a shower) and hot water. They provide a small bar of soap but no shampoo. Rooms are very clean with tile floors making for easy cleaning. Rooms are serviced daily but sometimes not the bathroom. Towels are not changed unless you ask for new ones. They offer an inexpensive laundry service, but note that washing is by hand and drying in the sun so its next day service only. There is a small swimming pool.

A single costs 27,500 with breakfast included. Breakfast consists of coffee or tea, juice and a croissant and baguette with butter and jam. Don’t make the mistake I made in eating two croissants as one was earmarked for another guest and they had to go out on motorbike to buy another one! The adjoining restaurant features a selection of French and local food. You can even get a mixed salad with Feta cheese—a rarity in Africa. Prices are reasonable and quality is okay but not outstanding.

There is a apparently good WIFI connection if Benin’s fiber optic cable is not down as was the case the entire four nights I was there.

I would stay here again.

• Visited January 2012