I had been considering staying at Maruba for a few days and ultimately decided to stay on the beach. When I had the opportunity to go there as a part of a day trip and get a massage, I grabbed it. I had heard wonderful things about the resort and of course, the mood mud massage. My friend and I booked the massage through our hotel. We ate lunch and were told that we would be picked up for our massage. We went to the "visitor" pool and waited. Just as the mosquitoes began to become impossible, they came to get us. As we approached the spa, the woman escorting us asked if it would be ok if one of us had a male massage therapist. There were three of us, an older woman, part of our tour, immediately said she would definitely mind. I knew my friend would be uncomfortable with it - so I said I it was fine with me. I have had male massage therapists before and it has never been a problem, as they are always so careful to respect your privacy. When my friend and I entered the spa, they had set up tables side by side. We not a couple and asked to be separated. When I settled in, I was handed a pair of paper thong underwear - makes sense, since you are going to be covered in mud. I put them on, hopped up on the table, and waited for the therapist. When he entered the room, he ripped off the sheet covering me leaving me bare butt on the table. I decided I could handle this, but hoped that when I turned over, that he would cover my breasts and genitals. Well, he didn't. Not only that, but as I lay there with nothing but a sheer paper thong, he applied mud to my breasts. I am not an uptight person and generally have no problem with nudity, topless beaches, etc., but when this strange man started rubbing mud onto my breasts I thought I was going to jump straight off the table. When the massage is over, they lead you, covered in mud, with a hibiscus flower on each breast and a banana leaf between your legs through an open garden to an enclosed outdoor bath area. Since we had previously asked to be in separate massage areas, you'd think they would have figured out we were not a couple, but they only had one bathtub filled for us! The entire experience was an adventure for sure and if I had been with a lover, I would have looked at it differently. But having a male massage therapist and no respect for my nudity would not have been ok under any circumstances.
- Also Known As:
- Maruba Resort Jungle Hotel
- Maruba Resort Jungle Hotel Maskall
- Maruba Hotel Jungle
- Maruba Resort Jungle Spa Belize/Maskall
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prepare yourself for the ultimate experience in adventure & relaxation at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, Belize. A short two-hour flight from Houston or Miami transports you to a place where you can fully immerse yourself in nature and truly relax. Maruba offers a great vacation escape in casual elegance.Voted the Best Boutique Spa by Spa Finder Readers’ Choice Award, and One of the Top 10 Spas in the Caribbean & Central Americas by Maco Destination Caribbean & Central America Magazine, the resort’s neo-primitive style with a touch of jungle urban flair makes it an eclectic and hip place to stay while indulging in everything a modern spa has to offer. Its restaurant boasts a nouveau jungle cuisine, best described as a fusion of “east of Paris meets the Caribbean”. Your room will be one-of-a-kind and features rich hues and textures, vaulted hardwood ceilings, mosaic tile floors, exotic fabric and beautiful carving made by local artisians. Signature bungalows offer 900 square feet of private space with an indoor lounge room, indulgent hot tubs, and incredible jungle views.Maruba is one of the first spas in Central America and offers a variety of exotic treatments which revitalize, detoxify, and reestablish the skin’s natural pH balance while leaving your skin feeling silky smooth. A must-try treatment is Maruba’s Mood Mud Massage – take your camera along for pictures! For those seeking adventure, several day tours available, such as exploring Maya Ruins, the rainforest and caves ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Venere so you can book your Maruba Resort Jungle Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.