“The most lovely and exotic resort in belize!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maruba Resort Jungle Spa

You added Maruba Resort Jungle Spa to your Saves list
Maruba Resort Jungle Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 1/2 Mile Old Northern Highway | 10 Miles North of Altun Ha Maya Ruins, Maskall, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maskall
Houston, Texas
“The most lovely and exotic resort in belize!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My boyfriend and I decided to book at Maruba because we wanted some adventure and relaxation. Maruba exceeded our expectations in every way. The room was so lovely and clean, the surrounds were peaceful and exotic, the food and drinks were amazing (so fresh and flavorful), the mood mud massage was unforgettable, but most of all the people and the service made our trip so special. The only negative thing is the mosquitoes but it was a small price to pay. We actually got engaged on the trip and they really helped make it special by setting up our romantic room. Then when I mentioned it was my birthday, Melanie and the staff set up special decorations for me. It was the most wonderful experience. Thank you to Melanie, Nicky, Dara, and Dave for helping us have the most amazing and memorable time in lovely Belize!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Our stay here was amazing, we traveled to Belize for our honeymoon and stayed one week on the coast and just under one week at the Maruba resort. On arrival you are greeted by the owners with a complimentary cocktail and shown to your jungle villa... you don't have to carry any of your bags as they are taken by your driver straight to the room. Our room was fantastic, with very comfortable four poster bed, air-con and everything you would need...

You immediately feel relaxed and without any commitments... there are two pools with pool side drink and food service.

The menu is great with a variety of both vegetarian and meat dishes and the beer and wine is also very good!

My wife tried several of the treatments and was very relaxed and impressed... I also joined for a mood mud massage (and not that I am used to massage) I very much enjoyed the relaxing and unique experience... I would recommend you try it!!

All in all 10/10... I would certainly go back if we venture to Belize again!!

Thank you!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Papillion, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I miss Maruba and Belize already. Belize is the only English-speaking country in Central America and Maruba is an oasis in the jungle. We enjoyed all our meals at the resort as well as their tropical cocktails and juices. We alternated days between relaxing spa experiences and outdoor activities such as cave tubing, hiking the Mayan ruins and horseback riding. The hosts are welcoming and hospitable at all times. The surroundings are picturesque. The only thing I personally regret is not using any bug spray, I am still scratching my legs! Bring DEET spray and use it!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

The Maruba Resort Jungle Spa is a one of a kind resort. It is like stepping into a bizarre movie. We checked in with my family, my kids loved the place. The property is very vast, very remote with not enough security to cover the acreage that it is on. We found from personal experience that it is not safe to walk the property at night alone. Have a security guard escort you to to and from your room. The rooms and villas are really cool, the rum punch upon arrival, very good. The food...was just okay, nothing to jump up and down about. I would only recommend this resort only to the very brave and daring.
The owners, Melanie and Nicki, were very nice. i wish them then best of luck with their awesome resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Merickston, Owner at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Since the security issue reported, where by your husband courageously scared off unwanted cowards before they could do anything and helping us to identify them not just physically but in character was of great help for us in identifying this bad element. Since then we have instituted several new measures, and you can rest assured if any frightening creatures pop out of the jungle we're just a shout away. Thank you for helping us after the fact and wishing us well at our funky cool place. We hope to see you back if just for the day on you next visit to Belize so you can get that relaxing massage.

Best Regards,
Merickston Nicholson
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at Maruba after a trip to Caye Caulker. We rented a car to go there, and definitely recommend renting a car as the more economical way to go to tour interior Belize, but beware the road to Maruba is essentially one lane of black top, and you will have to pull to the side of the road when traffic comes the other way. Maruba is just beautiful, and the staff give you the MOST AMAZING personal attention. We were there during off season and so got to know the owners and their family and felt like we were treated really special. We did the mood mud massage and loved it. We did various excursions to nearby locations and the staff was quite helpful in helping us arrange these things, even though we did not go with the hotel packages they offered, since we had our own car. The food at the resort is first class, especially for such a remote location. We swam in both of the lovely pools and enjoyed the ambiance of amazing gardens.

Room Tip: We had one of the smaller rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Im back and forth in belize every month and I have to say that when ever i can find the time i must go to Maruba for at least one or two days. It's the best place i have found to dissapear from the world and just enjoy the company of your loved one. Your cell doesnt work, the internet only works by the bar(guys dont try to use it, your spouse will hurt you) lol. One of my favorite things about this place is the food!!!! I have eaten all over Belize and by far they have the best steak in BZ. So i would highly recommend you take at least a weekend and stop by Maruba's to recharge your batteries! It would also be a great place for a wedding too ;)

Room Tip: be nice lol
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I went to Belize on a business trip and had a chance to take a little time off between Friday afternoon and Sunday. I was blessed to have found Maruba to spend my “mini-vacation”. Not only the place is beautiful, but I was pampered and treated extremely well by the family who owns and runs the place. They were very accommodating and nice to me. I was picked-up directly in the office where I was working in Belize City, taken to the pharmacy as I needed to buy a couple of things, and driven to the resort. I had a great time chatting with Nicki (the owner who picked me up) on the way there. I was greeted by Melanie, his wife, and taken to my beautiful suite, where my suitcase was already waiting for me. I loved the amenities and the attention to detail: the hibiscus everywhere, the sandalwood incense burning in the room, the disposable flip-flops, the availability of DVDs, covered chairs/beds around the pool, a beautiful hookah room, and a dining area set in a tree-house; comfort in the middle of the jungle. I spent the nice afternoon by the pool chatting with Annie and the kids. I had a wonderful aromatherapy massage in the evening. The next day I went to one of the tours (Lamanai) and spent the day out. Upon my arrival I was greeted with a refreshing juice and my mud massage appointment had already been rescheduled, as I returned a bit later than anticipated. The mud massage was a wonderful experience, especially bathing in warm water to remove the mud under the stars. I am often concerned about massages in remote places. My husband is a massage therapist and I know all the studying/practice required to become licensed. My massage therapist was wonderful and it was clear that she was well-trained.
Food was great, in taste and presentation. I loved the big fancy plates and delicious food. There is Internet connection and an eclectic music collection in the reception/bar area. The staff is attentive, without being intrusive.
I cannot wait to go back to Maruba, next time with my family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Maruba Resort Jungle Spa? Share your experiences!