“Peaceful!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maruba Resort Jungle Spa

You added Maruba Resort Jungle Spa to your Saves list
Maruba Resort Jungle Spa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   40 1/2 Mile Old Northern Highway | 10 Miles North of Altun Ha Maya Ruins, Maskall, Belize   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maskall
“Peaceful!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

Im back and forth in belize every month and I have to say that when ever i can find the time i must go to Maruba for at least one or two days. It's the best place i have found to dissapear from the world and just enjoy the company of your loved one. Your cell doesnt work, the internet only works by the bar(guys dont try to use it, your spouse will hurt you) lol. One of my favorite things about this place is the food!!!! I have eaten all over Belize and by far they have the best steak in BZ. So i would highly recommend you take at least a weekend and stop by Maruba's to recharge your batteries! It would also be a great place for a wedding too ;)

Room Tip: be nice lol
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

I went to Belize on a business trip and had a chance to take a little time off between Friday afternoon and Sunday. I was blessed to have found Maruba to spend my “mini-vacation”. Not only the place is beautiful, but I was pampered and treated extremely well by the family who owns and runs the place. They were very accommodating and nice to me. I was picked-up directly in the office where I was working in Belize City, taken to the pharmacy as I needed to buy a couple of things, and driven to the resort. I had a great time chatting with Nicki (the owner who picked me up) on the way there. I was greeted by Melanie, his wife, and taken to my beautiful suite, where my suitcase was already waiting for me. I loved the amenities and the attention to detail: the hibiscus everywhere, the sandalwood incense burning in the room, the disposable flip-flops, the availability of DVDs, covered chairs/beds around the pool, a beautiful hookah room, and a dining area set in a tree-house; comfort in the middle of the jungle. I spent the nice afternoon by the pool chatting with Annie and the kids. I had a wonderful aromatherapy massage in the evening. The next day I went to one of the tours (Lamanai) and spent the day out. Upon my arrival I was greeted with a refreshing juice and my mud massage appointment had already been rescheduled, as I returned a bit later than anticipated. The mud massage was a wonderful experience, especially bathing in warm water to remove the mud under the stars. I am often concerned about massages in remote places. My husband is a massage therapist and I know all the studying/practice required to become licensed. My massage therapist was wonderful and it was clear that she was well-trained.
Food was great, in taste and presentation. I loved the big fancy plates and delicious food. There is Internet connection and an eclectic music collection in the reception/bar area. The staff is attentive, without being intrusive.
I cannot wait to go back to Maruba, next time with my family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

Melanie was a pleasant host, but the owner's mother was the best- she was courteous, interested in us, inviting, and had a clear love of the resort and enthusiasm she loved to share. This was perhaps the best part of our trip- other than our driver David, who was great- charismatic, personable- everything a host should be. The mother did however, seem a little bothered that the trip was given by her daughter to a charity for an auction. So while we didn't pay directly to the resort, we did pay over 3 times what the trip would have cost us. I don't think they took this into consideration- we paid a lot for the trip, but to the cancer charity they chose! I don't know if this is why there was an odd vibe we encountered. Nick, the son and now owner, couldn't have been more distant and unfriendly. He never greeted us, and gave a blank stare when we tried to engage him or complimented him on his children. Strange! It made it uncomfortable that he was also our waiter on most nights. The food was good! Melanie warmed up to us eventually, but my partner and I thought the distance and unfriendliness could have been because we are gay. We don't understand what else might account for a disengaged disinterested host. It's your resort for cryin' out loud- smile- take a tip from your mom!
The resort is a bit rundown, the jacuzzi in the room was broken, screens ripped enough to allow mosquitoes and I had to spray the plastic shower curtain myself with the maids bleach spray to remove the black mold. The massages were so so, and the mud paint was ridiculous- very little effort; nothing the like the video and postcards depict. We could overlook these issues, but the unfriendliness was extremely unpleasant and ruined that aspect of the trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Merickston, Owner at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2011
Thank you for supporting a good cause and your generous contribution to the Cancer Society. For many years Maruba has been a supporting member by donating gifts to those effected and for raising funds to fight against the disease. It strikes close to home as The Founder of the Resort was a Medical Doctor in Northern Illinois specializing in detection and treatment of Cancer and he was also a 3 time Cancer Survivor.

As for the comments regarding the waiter and spa treatment, that is your opinion and we respect it, the Waiters are here to give the guest the best possible service and the Couples Mood Mud Massage is relaxing and fun when you are comfortable with each other and most of the images on the Maruba-Belize website and Maruba Belize Facebook Friends Page are from Guest.

It was noted that during your stay a window screen was damaged from a fallen coconut frond. The Jacuzzi was working your entire stay and if one wants the temperature adjusted or something, we would take care of that for you.

Happy Birthday
Merickston Nicholson
Owner
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and I reside in the winter months in Belize. We booked a spa day for Valentine's and invited another couple from Canada to come with us. We both had the couples package including a 1 hour massage and lunch. We didn't expect to be greeted so professionally as we are very familiar with Belize and know the service. ambiance, and food sometimes isnt as nice as the websites. We both loved it! The massage was amongst the best we have ever had and we have had many and the food was prepared by an experienced chef. The pools and mineral pools were clean and a beautiful temperature. We would not hesitate to go back and refer this to all of our friends and family. Thank you for such a wonderful time! Shona and John from Canada

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

After a week of diving, my husband and I decided to spend two days on land before heading home to PA. We stumbled upon Maruba in a travel book in our cab, and it was like hitting the jackpot. Without knowing more than a paragraph about the place, we decided it looked like it could be cool. I think we spent the whole visit in amazement of how fun, beautiful and special this place is. Everything about this resort is one of a kind, sexy, artistic and relaxing. I can't wait to go back and bring friends!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

-- Resort and Room -- Maruba is an interesting resort. It is a true jungle experience, and a memorable one. The resort is located inside a jungle. The hotel premise is beautiful and well taken care of, so you get to enjoy the nature of the jungle with the convenience of modern amenities. Resort runs on generator(s?); technologies can fail, and blackouts can happen.

The shower drizzles like Spring rain, but one can't compare jungle plumbing to the highly regulated standard in the states. The beds are also very interesting - I still haven't figured out what it is. It is extremely soft, so you just collapse into this cloud of something every night. I read a review about monkey running around the resort, it is very untrue to my experience. I have not seen any animal other than the dog Maruba keeps, and he is friendly and cute, and never disturbs the guests. Once in a while, you do hear howler monkey, but not very often. Mosquitos are plentiful, and the door to our room doesn't seem to close completely (the double door has a big gap), so they do fly in and out freely. So, bring bug spray, and I added to my beauty ritual: spray at night before going to sleep, and anti-itch in the morning.

-- SPA -- Maruba is famous for its Spa, and it is heaven!!! I had extremely tight muscle after days of activities, and the masseuse was wonderful. She adjusts her strength to work on my problematic areas. I also read about roughness of masseuse's hands, I wonder if it is because the person was having a mud therapy, because there are pumices in the mud, and you can feel it on your skin. There is a bath facility in the spa, and it is a "must try" - it is in a huge open area (with only high walls and trees around), and you can bath under the stars!!! It is absolutely amazing!!!!!

-- Service -- The owner (Melanie and her family) and all the staff at Maruba are very pleasant and helpful. David, who drove us to Belize City and Altun Ha, is great. He grows up in Maskall, and is very knowledgable about the area and everything Belize. We fully enjoy our trips and conversations with him.

-- Food & Wine -- The menu is simple, and it is adjusted to accomodate the guests. Everyday there are few highlighted items, but they can also run out very quickly. Then, you are back to the basic menu. Prices of alchohol is reasonable. But, if you don't enjoy the food in Maruba, you have a long way to go to find other eateries.

-- Transportation cost -- The location is far from everything else, so you can really escape the hussle and bustle of the other tourist areas. However, unless you are planning to spend all your time in the resort, the cost to get around can be hefty. We went to the cayes 2 days, and the cost for going to Belize City (to take a water taxi) and back could have bought us a *very nice* hotel room in San Pedro or Caulker. We were shocked when we saw the bill, and Melanie was willing to ~work something out~ with the numbers. My advice is to make sure you check with Maruba about the cost, or make taxi arrangement to any destinations prior.

For a Jungle experience, Maruba is a good option. But, if you are planning to get out and go visit other places, you may want to find something in a more convenient location.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Merickston, Owner at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
We agree with you and would recommend a couple nights on the island before visiting Maruba since you wanted to spend several days snorkeling, diving or enjoying sea based activity.  It would have cost much less, and saved commuting time.  As you pointed out upon departure your issue was transportation cost. The transfers were private and on your timing, leaving early then returning late both days, and were reasonably priced.  There were other activities on or nearby the resort on the same days that would have given you the opportunity to experience Northern Belize, and would have given a rich appreciation for Belize's diverse culture and history.
Thank you for your review and experiencing the Jungle at Maruba Belize.
Merickston Nicholson
Owner
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Wow! Maruba Resort... what a find.... I am not quite sure where to begin!

We purchased the transfers from Maruba and were greeted at the Belize Bus station by Dave. As I exited the bus he immediately said "you must be Shana"..... after traveling 3 hours with two small children that was exactly what I wanted to hear! The ride to Maruba was great - I had no idea it would be 20 miles down a somewhat paved / unpaved road..... at the end of the road is the hidden gem Maruba.

Upon entering you find yourself in a jungle oasis. We walked down the lush pathway and were lead towards the main building..... W hotel / hip techno ish music was playing.... We were greeted by Melanie who offered us a welcome cocktail. I chose the Rum Punch - their Rum Punch is incredible. Their menu says they make this drink strong and they do - they do not skimp at all when it comes to alcohol!

We were given a tour of the property which no words in this review could give it justice..... the pools, spas, mineral baths, spa rooms, hooka room, checker board..... every last ounce of their property is amazing! Amazing doesnt describe it well enough...... every single area, every corner is kept up and impecable. At the end of our tour we were brought to our room - a junior suite. Even saying junior does not do it justice... it was the size of a small home. An amazing entry, a huge main bedroom and a large bathroom. The decor they had throughout the room and throughout the property in general is incredible. The most intricate mayan statues, skins - everywhere you turned it was incredible.

After we got settled, I started to panic a little..... I had only seen a few employees (who were all very attentive) and the hotel was very quiet. It is also very remote - I quickly asked if there was security or someone who was on property 24/7, in case something happened so far out. They have an amazing security staff who is very visible at night - my fears quickly went away.

Although I did not do any spa treatments while there, I walked around the facilities and they seemed heavenly. Outdoor spa tubs large enough for a king, amazing stonework in all of their facilities with an overall amazing jungle feel everywhere!

Every single person who served and assisted us during our stay did so with the utmost professionalism. As someone who has eaten in many fine dining establishments throughout the country, their food and service hands down exceeded some of the top restaraunts in the United States. Their food was fresh and everything tasted incredible - presentation was perfect!

Nikki, Melanie and their staff are simply the best! The hotel is world class and one would be fortunate to spend time at Maruba - it is beyond amazing and incredible! We can't wait to retun!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Maruba Resort Jungle Spa? Share your experiences!