“Poor service.” 1 of 5 stars

(603) 968-7030
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Boston, Massachusetts
“Poor service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

After eating Lunch here a few years, and loving the Mussels appetizer, we wanted to eat Lunch here again while staying at The Common Man Inn. After sitting down, we realized there was no appetizer menu. We asked the server, who stated "Oh yeah, they forgot to print the appetizers on the menu". Poor business technique if you ask me. If we hadnt inquired about the Muzzells, they would have lost out on an extra sale. Seems to me, the staff should be instructed to mention that appetizers are available but not on the menu. After being seated for a few minutes we noticed the Host was asking people what kind of water they wanted, Bottled or Iced, and offering the Help yourself cracker station. We were never offered a choice of water, nor were we invited to the cracker station. Again, poor business move and extremely unprofessional. Apparantly because we look young, we must not be worth mentioning these things to. After our Mussells came, we noticed it came with two small pieces of garlic bread, and a huge bowl of broth. Being Portuguese, we always use bread for dipping in broths, soups, stews, etc. After dissapearing for another 15 minutes, the Server finally came over and asked us how our App. was. We requested more bread for dipping. She came back out with a freezing cold bowl of day old chunks of bread that were clearly going to be used to croutons. It was disgusting. Again, she dissapeared for another ten minutes, and when she finally came over, we asked her for some rolls. She explained to us the only bread they have available is Pumpkin Bread. At that point the broth was cold, so we let it go. The biggest problem we have with the poor excuse of no bread is, I was served a sandwich with the exact same type of bread used for the croutons, and my Husband was served a fresh bun for his Cheeseburger. The only thing way I can justify that situation is the Server was extremely lazy and could'nt be bothered enough to walk into the kitchen and ask for two more pieces of garlic bread. When we ate there three years ago the food was delicious and the service was great. I will never go back there again. This is the second Common Man owned restaurant that has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

chitown
“We've been to several of the Common...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

We've been to several of the Common Mans/Men in the area; this is the one we prefer for dinner. Service is generally good (tonight was even better!) and Atlantic seafood dishes are great. Beef dishes are hit-and-miss sometimes. Our experience is that the food gets better and the service (understandably) worse during skiing season. Crackers, breads, and starters are a good plus, especially for the kids. Definitely worth a try if you're in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ashland
“Great atmosphere, but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

The staff is fabulous - you don't get this kind of service very often, and the dining room is cozy. But the food is overpriced, and overdone. Not over cooked, but they play with it too much, trying to fit too many flavors into a single dish just ruins it for me. And once I had a steak I could cut, never mind chew. Their prime rib is OK, if you get the sauce on the side, and some of the bar fare, but the main dinner menu just doesn't do it for me.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Vermont
“New England-style comfort food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We've eaten at the Common Man restaurants in Claremont and in Holderness, and they offer fairly consistent good food, though nothing that is extraordinary. Service is better than average though, and they have a pleasant atmosphere. It's comfort food with some style and extras.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston area
“Probably a great overall place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

My father and I just stopped in for lunch last week and the wait staff was in the middle of a shift change, resulting in nobody checking in with us or seating us for at least a minute and a half until I poked my head in the kitchen and requested service. With numerous tables available, the waitress sat us right next to a large family with lots of screaming kids. I requested that we sit anywhere else away from this loud group, but apparently this was problematic because of something to do with waitresses sections even though there were open tables scattered throughout the restaurant. Eventually we were sat, but it took about 5 additional minutes to set the table, which was odd because the table was clean and only required silverware, napkins, and a tiny plate. While this mini saga was going on, the waitress I was working with never checked in on the couple that walked in the restaurant a few minutes after I, and because nobody else came to sit them, they walked out. Although once seated the waitress and food were very good and priced very well, I would not recommend going to the Common Man for a late lunch because per my experience they did a very poor job during the period of time when the lunch wait staff switches and the dinner staff comes in. Still, I would overall recommend this place because I think my experience was rare, and the qualit of the food was very good for the price.

From the time I walked in to the time my father and I were seated about 10 full minutes had past.

• 4 of 5 stars Food