“A nice stop on the way to skiing” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Ashland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Mukilteo, Washington
“A nice stop on the way to skiing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were traveling from Boston to Northern Vermont to ski and were getting hungry. We decided to pull off at the next exit, Ashland, and realized we had stopped in this town before. We opened the memory stores and remembered our prior experience at The Common Man as a good one. The repeat visit did not disappoint and after a pleasant lunch we were on our way. The staff was great as was the food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“nice lodge feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

very comfortable, tons of menu/drink options! definitely sit upstairs if you're just hanging out casually to eat, great feel up there.

Visited February 2013
Laconia, New Hampshire
“Always a perfect dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We love the entire Common Man dining experience - all of the restaurants are phenomenal for the quality of food, ambiance, services and total experience. We are frequent diners at all of the restaurants.

Visited October 2012
Plymouth, New Hampshire
“went here with my uncle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

my uncle came to nh to visit who lives in washingtin and decided to take us out to lunch the burgers are soo good and came with homade chips and they had a lobster chowder that was soo good

Wentworth, New Hampshire
“Great Steaks! Wonderful Night Out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I were looking to have a good steak so thought we would give the Common Man in Ashland a try. We got there at 4:30, too early to be seated for dinner so we went upstairs to the lounge. Since it was "Happy Hour" My husband opted for the 1/2 price beer on tap and I chose the 1/2 price House White Zin. both very nice. Great deal at 1/2 price! (We knew about the 1/2 deals so asked but our server never mention them) We helped ourselves to the house Garlic spread and crackers downstair before we went up. (we didn't have the "cottage cheese dip" as we have tried that before and knew it was good). MON-FRI during Happy Hour they offer 1/2 price on some of their appitizers. (Our server never mentioned it so ask about their "specials")
At 5:00 we went downstairs to have dinner. Our waitress Kristen was pleasant and knowlegable about the menu and let us know that Wednesday was 1/2 price day on a bottle of wine (she also informed us that she would cork it to take home if we didn't finish it (which we did) We chose the house Cab. Sov. $18 reg. price but only $9 with the 1/2 price deal! We both like it and would order it again.
We started with the Escargot which was served in the traditional Escargot plate with 6 portions with lttle squares of puff pastry on top of each bubbling hot snail. They were lightly covered in melted cheese and enveloped in a mild Garlic butter.
It was a nice presentation and was Very good.
For dinner I ordered the Filet Migon and my husband ordered the NY Sirloin, we both ordered Med. rare and they both were cooked PERFECT. My Filet Migon was the best I've had in years, truly melted in your mouth! My husband said his Sirlion was really good and he would order it again. Both meals were served with a house salad which had nice fresh lettuce cucumbers and tomatoes, the homade dressings were good, I had the Blue Cheese and my husband had the Parm. Peppercorn Ranch. The vegtable of the day was good, Green beans and Summer Squash, and we both had the Mashed Potatoes (red bliss cooked with the skins) Moist and not overly seasoned. We were too full for dessert but plan to go back to try their White Chocolate Cream Brulee'. The bill came with a few pieces of White Chocolate Crumbles, very good and a nice end to a Very Good Meal. The dining room was nicly decorated, had a warm atmosphere with little Hurricane Lanterns on most of the tables and was not noisy at all. It was very easy to carry on a conversation. We sat in a comfortable booth.
The only drawback to the place is to get to the lounge you have to navigate a steep spiral stairway, not easy on the knees. They do have a Very strong Metal Rail to hold on too, without that I would never even try those stairs!
I do Wish they would offer to serve the cheese and crackers at the tables so you didn't have to navigate the stairs when you wanted some. I have heard they also serve nice Cheddar Cheese upstairs in the lounge but we never saw it! Perhaps they think everyone knows where it is? We didn't. So again ask where it is!
Everything we had was VERY GOOD, we will go back!

• Visited November 2012