“Hit or miss” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Offering Comfort Foods with a Creative Twist, from scratch, by hand, since 1988. From our full service kid-friendly, vegetarian-friendly dining room to our fantastic Marketplace offering meals to go, coffee and espresso bar, soups, wraps, and our killer, made from scratch bakery, we have something to satisfy every craving. Need a quiet space for grownup time? Try our wifi lounge on the 2nd floor. Traveling and need a break? We've got great amenities, so stop and stretch your legs. Hope to see you soon!
NH
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am not too far from this place. It is certainly convenient, but it's hit or miss with what I get. I have to say that it is improving, but not my go to place. The dessert case is pricey, but they have a good selection to choose from.

Visited February 2013

New England
“Great Take Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Unique if a bit pricey take out pre-made items and gorgeous cakes/desserts. Seasonal bakery items are to-die-for. Worth the extra miles and the extra $$.

Visited November 2012
owner1366, Owner at Black Forest Cafe & Bakery, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you for stopping in Echo226. And thank you for noting our uniqueness, as that is something that we strive for. Martha, Owner
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Worth the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I always stop here when we visit family nearby. The bakery is so good that I can imagine finding a spot with more delicious treats. The soups and sandwiches are amazing as well! And not only is the food delicious, it’s beautiful to look at too. We bought an apple pie there for special company and I was tempted to say “I baked it myself.” And finally, just to offer a small warning – Don’t start on the whoopie pies – They’re just like mama use to make and you won’t know when to stop! Just writing this review has me tempted to get in the car!!

Visited February 2013
Thank you Paul for making us a regular stop! We appreciate your business. Martha, Owner
NH
“A Gem Right Down the Street”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This wonderful little café has never disappointed us, and we’ve been enjoying their culinary delights for nearly 15 years.

There is a dining room where you can enjoy a diverse menu, and there is a café, which they call the “marketplace,” where you can eat-in or take out. The marketplace offers entrees, salads, sandwiches, soups, desserts, and baked goods such as scones, muffins, and cookies. Also available are unique soft drinks, wine, a coffee bar, chocolates, and kitchen accessories.

The baked goods are irresistible. We crave the lemon cookies and we are very sorry to see them go with the coming of winter (the café makes them only in spring and summer). The coconut cake is another favorite - moist and creamy – the best we’ve ever enjoyed.

Recently I tried the Kale Waldorf Salad and Roast Beef and Boursin Cheese wrap from the marketplace. It was a delightful “on the run” lunch, and I will be trying to recreate the kale salad at home; the staff is generous with recipes and will list all the ingredients for inquiring minds.

On our most recent visit to the dining room, one person ordered the Inside Out Chicken Cordon Bleu: panko breaded chicken, stacked with prosciutto, brie and a lightly dressed arugula salad served with sweet and white smashed potatoes with sage and caramelized onions. When the server asked if she wanted the lunch or dinner portion, she ordered the lunch portion. A wise choice—the portion was more than enough for dinner! Another person ordered Country Pork Ribs with the braised root vegetables, also the lunch portion. The chicken was tender, the arugula fresh. The ribs were hearty. The vegetables complemented the meat perfectly. A Chardonnay was perfect with the chicken, and the Wolaver’s Oatmeal Stout went well with the ribs. We split a very rich piece of chocolate mint silk pie for dessert; no matter which dessert you choose from the tray at the Black Forest, or from the case in the marketplace, it will be an excellent choice. The service was excellent; the wine was brought to the table well before the chicken arrived, and the server offered dessert promptly after she cleared the dishes, before our stomachs told us they had had enough.

You cannot get a bad meal at the Black Forest. And the owners are usually around, seating people, delivering food, or just helping out the staff.

There is a Wi-Fi spot on the 2nd floor, where “grownups only” may take their treats from the marketplace and enjoy a peaceful atmosphere. Don’t miss the Black Forest web page, which offers recipes and links to the menus.

We look forward to returning to the Black Forest on a regular basis.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your review StarWeez! We appreciate that you notice the details that we work hard to ensure are just right. You are obviously a regular, loyal customer, and for that we say thank you!!
Martha, Owner
Manchester, New Hampshire
“A must visit restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I went with a couple of friends for dinner on a Saturday around 4 pm. Had never been but the menu looked good. I ordered the brisket lunch portion which was melt in your mouth delicious! It comes with interesting potatoes which are mixed white and sweet. It looks like butternut squash and is also delicious. The vegetable was a variety of root vegetables. Again very tasty! My friends had the chicken pot pie and the seafood crepes. Both were well presented and I'm told were very tasty. All are plates were cleaned which indicates the correct portion size as I always take home leftovers at other restaurants. Had I ordered the dinner size I'm sure I would have taken something home. Save room for dessert as they are outstanding! I had the coconut cake which was a HUGE slice and the best ever. They have a bakery/store with a wonderful selection of desserts and meals. I bought a couple ginger molasses cookies for the next day. Very, very good, especially with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese.
I will definitely return to this restaurant as the menu is interesting and ever changing with the seasons. I would suggest going early as when we left around 6pm the place had filled up and there was a wait.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you, LoverofLifeNH for your thorough review. You and your fellow diners selected some of our best sellers, especially our Old Fashioned Coconut Cake. I'm so happy you enjoyed everything. Our Spring Menu launches March 21st, so I hope you can come give us another try.
Martha, Owner