“Great for the location” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Phoenix,AZ
“Great for the location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stopped in to Shibley's at the last minute during a summer street fair. They were able to seat our party of 7 with kids immediately. The food was perfect for the location. I think the lobster roll was the big hit. I liked the blueberry beer too. If we are ever passing through during lunchtime, we will surely stop in again.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

ALTON BAY
“Airplanes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Our best experience at Shibley's was eating outside and having a seaplane land on Alton Bay pulling into the boat slip next to the one we were using for our boat. What fun. Can't beat eating by the water in the summer. Lots of windows inside too. Food is very good, but a little pricey.

Bradford, Massachusetts, United States
“Love my Winter lunches here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the second time that I have had winter lunch here. The first time was in Jan 2011 and I was very pleased with the service and food! I had a table near the window and was able to take more photos. This year I was seated in the corner with a great view! I had hiked to Mt. Major and then walked around the frozen Lake Winnepesaukee photographing the airplanes and fishing huts. I was def hungry for lunch. I was seated right away and the manager/owner (?) came to my table to let me know that Stephanie would be my server. She also asked me if I wanted anything to drink. I told her that I was also ready to order my lunch and she took my order. My Ahi Tuna wrap was served quickly! I eat alot of raw ahi tuna and this dish was absolutely delicious! It had just the right amount of wasabi sauce in it and the edges were seared perfectly. It came with fries which I didn't care for.....wished that a salad rather than cole slaw was offered with it. Over all, I really enjoy eating here and the views of the lake are fantastic!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ALTON
“Wonderful Every time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I come here at least 2-3 times per year and always enjoy ourselves food is great staff is friendly and the drinks are make well. As the owner once told me you won't ever make everyone happy but as for myself and my wife we are part of the ones that are happy with this place.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stafford VA
“Don’t waste your money. Seriously.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

oh. my. GOD. Where do I start?

Well, I’ll start with the good. The parking is free and plentiful, and the menu is posted outside. The location is at the water’s edge at the southern end of the great lake, and the many-windowed dining room (which is not too small, and not too large) gives diners a lovely water view. The chairs are cushioned on the bottom and comfortable enough. The menu is rather varied and not TOO frou-frou, although it is on the pricey side - but that was okay, because the evening we stopped there was the 6th anniversary of my mother’s passing, and on this day, as well as on her birthday, we like to have a nice meal out, order something we know she’d enjoy also, and raise a toast to her. It was early for dinner, so there were only two or three other tables filled at 4:40 PM. When we were seated, we were surprised to have been given a lunch menu. We waited for a waitress to come to the table so we could ask for the dinner menu, but before she got there, a woman who we assumed was the manager came by and asked if we wanted lunch or dinner, then snatched up the lunchtime paper napkins and gave us cloth ones, and dinner menus. Our waitress subsequently arrived to take our drink orders, and later our dinner orders - first announcing the day’s specials: prime rib, and some other dish which I can’t recall. I think it involved seafood and had two names (like Shrimp Diablo), but I’d never heard of it before, and all she told us about it was the name. Not the price, not what it consisted of or came with, nothing. As we had both already pretty much decided on beef dishes anyway, we didn't question her about it - though I must say that I have on occasion been swayed to change my order to a special of the day, based on the wait-person’s description. I had wanted the filet mignon ($29), which the menu mentioned only coming with sautéed mushrooms. After asking, I was told that it also came with potato and vegetable. I had to question her again, asking if I had a choice of vegetables or if there was a vegetable of the day. I was told it was broccoli, and was given no other choices. My husband then stated that he wanted the prime rib, and she was all set to walk away from the table at that point until he stopped her and asked about choice of potato - because usually, if you get a filet mignon or prime rib, it comes with a baked potato, and the waitress usually asks if you want sour cream and/or butter with it, but she hadn’t. It was only at this point that we were informed we’d be getting mashed potatoes. When I said something like “Oh - well then I think I’ll change my order” (and I said it pleasantly enough, because I’m not one to complain or get confrontational in any way in such a setting), she got aggravated (I suppose because she saw her tip diminishing, especially if I chose a cheaper entrée) and said that if we wanted baked potatoes, she’d get them for us - but she was clearly not happy about it. So we sat there sipping our drinks and talking, with bread plates in front of us, waiting for the bread to arrive, but it never did. When we finally saw our waitress again, we had to flag her down on her way back to the kitchen. I asked her if the small plates were for bread, because if so, we were wondering when it was coming. She responded that she could put bread in for us if we wanted it (as if she was doing us a huge favor), but it would take a while before we’d get it. I responded with something like “Oh - no, don’t worry about it, I was just wondering what the plates were for” - to which she responded “they’re just side plates” - making me feel like an idiot for even asking. Finally our meals arrived - by which point I was rather aggravated that for my $29, I was getting nothing but the portion of beef, a side of broccoli which I didn’t really want, and a baked potato we had to “fight” a surly waitress for - with no bread, no salad, nothing else included. My filet mignon was too raw the first time she brought it out, so she put that on my side plate and brought it back to the kitchen, but she never asked if either of us wanted another drink before disappearing again. My husband is someone who drinks a lot with his meals and will usually go through several tall glasses of iced tea, while I had finished my cocktail - and although I hadn’t wanted another, most wait staff will at least ask you if you do if for no other reason than that it ups the bill (and therefore their tip). Also, she’d brought my husband two small ramekins on the side - one containing butter for his baked potato, and one containing sour cream. I had told her I didn’t want butter, just double the sour cream, but I only got one ramekin of it. I chose not to mention that yet, though, and started in on my steak, which had a really odd flavor. It didn’t appear to be seasoned at all, and yet I’ve never had a filet mignon taste so truly bad. I finally figured out what the flavor reminded me of: Liver, which I didn’t think was even on the menu, so I had my husband taste it, and he declared that it tasted like the cook had wiped his [rear] on it. The broccoli was cooked well enough, but it was completely bland and dry - as was my husband’s prime rib, which was not accompanied by au jus, horseradish sauce, or anything else. Again we had to flag her down to make a request of her. I was hoping the au jus would help with the taste of my filet mignon, but as it too was the most bland and tasteless I’d ever had (it was basically just brown water), it didn’t. I ended up eating only part of the baked potato, and all of the sautéed mushrooms (all ten very small, very thin slices of them - obviously canned), and we both ended up leaving well more than half of our portion of beef on the plate. We both love beef and never leave any; if we can’t finish, we take it home, but his was tasteless, and mine was awful. During the course of our meal, we noticed that the waitress for a nearby table had not only described the specials to her customers, but also told them the prices, AND provided them with crackers and dip before the meal - which we never got. Of course we had to flag our waitress down again to request the check, which I paid in cash (rounding up only to the next dollar for the waitress’ tip) - and we quickly left (for the first and last time), thoroughly aggravated, $68 poorer, and still hungry.

• Visited October 2012