“Incredible view, wonderful hosts.” 4 of 5 stars

Garni Pension Menkens
Markt 127, St. Wolfgang 5360, Austria   |
Ranked #7 of 43 St. Wolfgang B&B and Inns
Tathra
“Incredible view, wonderful hosts.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our first night in Austria and were welcomed from the bus stop by Manfred and driven to the house on the hill overlooking Lake Wolfgang. When Annelei opened the door to our little balcony we were witness to a view that took our breath away. Mountains and lake, quiet, vast and uplifting, and just below us the ancient church and village. The town centre was three minutes down the hill.

Sleep was good and breakfast excellent. We tried to book more nights but to no avail.

Room Tip: Book early and take your appetite to breakfast. If you're asthmatic there's a slight smell...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Upon arrival post bus from Salzburg, the driver noticed our two big luggage and asked for our hotel tel number. He called and mr menkens drove to pick us from the bus stop! Amazing service. Yes the hotel is high on a relatively steep slope . But the two owners are friendly and entertained requests for hot water and a lift to the bus stop during departure. View from our lakeside room balcony is lovely and panoramic. Both of the lake and the hills at the back. Room is clean and comfortable.liked the bedside sensor lights!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Back again to find the house as spotless as ever and as welcoming as ever. Yes it is a narrow, twisty road to the house but I can count on one hand how many times I've met a car in all the visits.
This year Mr & Mrs M have introduced a buffet breakfast which really works well, especially in the hot, sunny weather experienced this stay. Breakfast outside with views of the lake is a perfect way to start the day. Follow this with swimming ( loungers etc provided ) from their own bathing area makes for a peaceful, relaxing holiday which I would thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with lake view balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ennis, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Fantastic views from our balcony. Very peaceful apart from the church bells early in the morning. Excellent breakfast on terrace. Very attentive hosts. Lakeside area 2km from B&B for refreshing swim.
The town of St Wolfgang is very attractive and not all that crowded compared to other lakeside towns in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have full lake view. Side rooms also have lake view, but more restricted.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

When we book the hotel, there was not many reviews. But it turn out to be a good choice. The owner is an old couple, but they are very nice. The room is clean with balcony. The breakfast is nice with lots of ham to choose from.

From the map, you may think the hotel is not in the cental location, but in fact it is. You just need to walk up the hill for 3 mins and there you are. So you can have the convenience of the old town and the quietness of the rural area at the same time. The room price is very reasonable too.

Although the hotel is not facing the lake directly, but there is a great grassland around. You can truly feel the atmosphere of the sound of music when you go up there in the morning.

Unfortunately, the wifi is not working well, but it is no problem for us.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Driffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Guesthouse (which is easy to find if Mr Menkens' clear instructions are followed) is located at the top of a short but very steep slope from the village. The approach road is extremely narrow - blind bended and two way (although not busy!) so extreme care needed driving up or down. There is a large parking area in front of the house. Anyone with mobility problems could find this place a challenge. It doesn't stop with the steep ascent from the village. There is a flight of steps to the front door and, obviously, stairs to the rooms. Even without mobility problems I found the turning spiral-style marble steps a challenge. Despite hand rails on both sides I missed my footing and went flying on the way down more than once.
Our room with a lovely lake view at the top of the house was OK - but in need of a bit of TLC. Only one of the headboard-mounted lights worked, the touch-control bedside lamps had a mind of their own producing light entertainment whether you wanted it or not. We did not find the bed particularly comfortable. Our room had a bath, the base of which, because of the sloping roof, was at floor level and not easy to get in and out of without hitting your head (my husband is over 6ft tall).
The biggest problem for us was the all-pervasive smell of cigarette smoke which hits you as soon as you go through the front door and seems to accumulate at the top of the house.
A nice touch was the installation of fridges on all floors for the use of guests.
Breakfast was OK - and, weather permitting, can be taken outside on the terrace overlooking the lake.
Our hosts were very pleasant, both speaking good English, although more than happy to tolerate mangled attempts at German from guests with more enthusiasm than ability!. Frau Menkens in particular has a dry sense of humour.
There is a beach area a couple of miles from the house travelling West. We did not use it as, unfortunately, the weather during our stay was closer to British Summer than glorious sunshine.

Room Tip: Lake views are worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I made reservation 1 night at 'Menkens' through booking.com. After reservation, I sent e-mail to the hotel to request extra bed for kids and to inquire price. They confirmed and replied it was free. I showed up around noon at the reservation date. There was an old woman. The hotel is runned by married couple and I came to know that she was one of them through dialogue. I asked her about extra bed. But,she showed me reservation papers printed through booking.com and they had nothing to do with 'extra bed' confirmation!!!!!!!! Yes, the reservation was double room on booking.com. But, they confirmed clearly through another e-mail. I presented her the e-mail which I had received. But, she just said 'I don't know','ask my husband', and 'who reserved on booking.com?'.

The situation wasn't tolerable at all. The worst thing was her attitude. She shouted all the time during the talk. When she showed me the paper, she hit the paper several times, saying 'Who made this reservation on booking.com?' When she showed me the room and I started to say something, she run downstairs with saying 'don't wasting my time'. She even told me that I behaved troubledsome and annoying her, staying just 1 night!!!!! At last, she ordered me 'leave now'.

I have visited over 20 countries and stayed at hundred hotel, This pension is definitely the worst. The final bonus was that the hotel notified booking.com that my reservation ended up with 'no show'.

I had to pay additional 60 euros to find out another accomdation in a hurry at the date. (cost for breakfast next morning (30 euros) was not included). I knew that this hotel has a good repuration through many years and many nice comments. But, the situation would be different for some people. I recommend reconsidering to reserve this hotel to those who want to stay for just 1 night or have something to request outside booking.com.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Garni Pension Menkens? Share your experiences!