“Good resort but poor service.” 2 of 5 stars

Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2100 Arrowwood Lane Northwest, Alexandria, MN 56308   |
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Alexandria
KL
“Good resort but poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed two nights as 24 th and 25 th may 13. Room 153. Good sized rooms and bathrooms. Bathroom door latch was broken. Pull away cot was also broken. Worst there was a power cut for the whole of 25 th night and 26th morning. The hotel did not offer any apology . Stayed in a dark cold room for the whole night. On check out no discount or rebate in room charges were given. I think that is Extremly poor service. Otherwise a good resort for the family.

Room Tip: Town houses are better
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Buffalo, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to Arrowwood in the last 2 yrs. Both times we got the kids room which happened to be the same room both times. The room itself is great, nice space and decor but they still had not replaced the broken microwave and this time the room would not cool down even though we had the air turned all the way up.
The water park was OK for a 1st trip, but as a 2nd time around pretty lame. Plus the park is really showing it's age w/ dirty and chipped paint pretty gross if you ask me. The whole park needs a major overhaul from decor, to better water fun activities, to more seating(if you found a table you had to make sure someone was always at it or people would steel it), better food &drink choices at the concession stand, larger towels( their towels are not meant for grown ups at all, so bring your own beach towels we learned that the hard way!) and the arcade is really lame as well as small. The one positive about the place is the structure itself, great vaulted wood paneled ceiling with sky lights and a wall of windows(very drafty) that looks out towards the lake.
Another huge disappointment was the quality of the food for the expensive prices we had to pay, they have changed their menu from last year and for the good. Hardly any healthy choices for either kids or adults. We tried room service for lunch one of the days we were there, it took forever to get there and the hot food was barely warm and they forgot our silverware, plus the side salad if you could call a plate of wilted lettuce with 1 g!rape tomato, 1 almost rotten cucumber slice & 2 baby carrots a salad. I understand we didn't have to eat all of our meals there, but we didn't feel like we should have to drive 20miles round trip to get a good meal and we were there on a mini vacation to enjoy what the resort had to offer. So pretty much a bad choice on our part.
I doubt we will go back for that kind of trip again, unless they make some major improvements to the park and overall food quality and choices. Which is really too bad because its a beautiful location.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with 1-2 children they have these really great kids rooms. You as the parents g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Willmar, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Went there in April for a business conference and was pleasantly surprised by the upgrades to the rooms. My room had a balcony and overlooked Lake Darling. It was very comfortable and I liked the changes since it had been a few years since I stayed there prior. Since I was at the very end of the main buildings it did take some time for the shower to get hot water but it did arrive.
The bartenders at The Rafters and the service was fine. They meals I ate were provided with our conference and were fine for large meal service.
The only thing I wish they could maybe polish up would be the work out room. That had remained unchanged and there was a very small choice of equipment available. To compound this one piece of equipment was out of order.
I would go back to the Arrowwood for business or a family trip.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for the review! I am happy to read that you enjoyed your room and the great view of Lake Darling! I apologize for the fitness equipment that was out of order. I have ordered two new machines so I will be anxious to hear what you think on your next visit! Thanks again!
Cambridge, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have not been to this property in close to 20 years. I remember then the rooms were dated and the meeting rooms were dark. I heard they had made some changes and they certainly have. The ballroom we were in for our event was very large and nice! Everything went as planned for our event.
The check in staff were very nice and helpful on check in. Our room was very large, and we just had a standard double queen room. But it is very wide which gave us plenty of room. The room had a large tv, microwave and refrigerator and a large closet. I am not sure I've had a closet that large. The bathroom was nice and clean, I wish we could have found the bath fan switch for our showers but we made do. Everything else worked in our room. Oh-the water park! This is the newest addition to the hotel. I would describe this as a medium size waterpark with a large toddler/preschool swim area with slides and other activities, a lazy river and two big slides for the bigger kids and another pool for some basketball, and the hot tub. So lots of things to do for the whole family. There is a lot more to do in the summer, but for a cold April weekend, this was just fine!
The only improvement I would suggest for this resort is to have more food options. This resort is out of town so its about a 10 minute drive to go get anything or you have it delivered. We went to the Lakeside Cafe which had a nice view of the lake but seemed over priced. $11 for a burger and $18 for chicken alfredo. I did not see any kids choices on the menu but I knew my child was eating the buffet so I didn't ask either. Some quick food options, other then the water park food, would be nice.
Overall we did enjoy our visit and our event booked this resort again next year, so we will be back!

Room Tip: If you want a lakeview or a balcony room, be sure to check when you make your reservation.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! I'm so happy to see you noticed all the changes and improvements to the resort! Thank you for the great comments regarding our staff. We share all the comments with our staff, so they will appreciate the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the indoor waterpark!

We are so pleased your group has decided to return to Arrowwood next year! We look forward to hosting you again!
Burnsville, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Took the family up for a night over spring break. We did get a fair price for the room which included waterpark passes with a pizza and "pitcher" of pop. First off, the room was very nice...no complaints there. However, we get to the waterpark and it is not as big as it looks in the pictures. Don;t get me wrong, the kids had fun (that's what was most important) but there weren't that many options for wet and splashy fun! Then we went to the "arcade" if that what you want to call it. There were seriously only like 6 or 7 games.

So we get back to the room and order our free pizza. What a disappointment, I guess I shouldn't complain because it was "free", but this thing 1) was only a 12" pizza..not very big for a family of four, and 2) the pizza was inedible. I mean it was awful! That little pizza was so bad that my kids (6 & 9) took a bite and spit it out, and they are not the picky type when it comes to pizza. It was just bad :-( The free pitcher of pop was just a 1 liter bottle, and if you want another one, they charge you $8!. I then looked at the menu and OMG! i understand that at a resort, you can expect to pay a little more than usual, but the food was so expensive it was ridiculous. The prices reminded me of a five start restarant in Vegas. But from what I was hearing from other guests was that all the food was bad, That probably explains all of the Domino's & Papa John's pizza boxes in the hallway. The rooms have fridges and microwaves so I would say you are better off bringing a cooler with some food and snacks or driving into town (10 min) to eat at one of the places there.The beds were pretty comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

The next morning we checked out the "buffet" for breakfast and again...not impressed. There were only like 5 or 6 items and nothing looked appetizing, and again, it was way overpriced. We checked out and went into town for a delicious and decently priced meal.

I will say this, we were only there for a night in March when there was still a foot of snow on the ground, so I could be off on a couple of things. The hotel did offer a some outdoor winter activities and because of location, it appeared they offer a lot of things to do in the summertime as well. We would probably go back (like I said, the room was really nice) but we will definitly plan ahead to avoid having to buy any food there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of Arrowwood Resort! I appreciate the nice comments about your room and the waterpark. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves! I sincerely apologize that you didn't enjoy the pizza that came with your package. I wish you would have let us know while you were here as we would have replaced it as soon as possible. We normally receive very positive comments about our pizza, so I'm very disappointed to read about your experience. WE definitely appreciate the feedback and I'll share your comments with our Chef's!

I do hope you return to Arrowwood again in the future and give us a chance to show you the food quality our guests have come to know and expect from Arrowwood! Thanks again for your review!
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent a weekend here this winter for a quick getaway. The resort itself was nice and partially updated. It was not too big so getting around was easy. Customer service was great all around.

Our room was nice and looked to be recently updated. The cosmetics where changed but portions of the room where outdated and show wear.

We ate at Lake Cafe for each meal and found it to be average. Prices where fine for the food quality.

The water park was perfect size for younger children. Best of all the water was warm which makes it more enjoyable. The walk to the park was short and all indoors. The game room was good enough to keep the kids busy.

Overall it was a nice getaway but I think it would be better in the summer to take advantage of all of the other activities they offer. Might give it a try in the next couple of summers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for the great comments! It's nice to hear you experienced great customer service all around! We also appreciate the nice comments about the indoor waterpark. I'm glad you enjoyed the park and the warm water!

Arrowwood is a great resort to retreat to in the summertime as well! I look forward to seeing you soon!
Delano, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at Arrowwood for a quick spring break getaway with our kids. The kids had a great time enjoying the waterpark and the lap pool....but they don't see the neglect and the filth. The rooms seem to have been updated lately, or at least they were clean. The common areas including the pools, hot tubs, bathrooms and the arcade were disgusting. The indoor waterpark features were covered in calcium deposits, brown iron rings, and slime. The rock features around the lazy river were white/green and slimy where the water was running down. The stairwell and platform leading up to the slides appeared to be rotting and had yellow/brown slime or mildew growth hanging off of them. The fake foiliage in the waterpark had at least an inch of dust coating them. The floors in the waterpark and the lap pool were dirty and had the same dirt and garbage on them the next day we went back which clearly indicated they had not cleaned overnight. The "fitness center" was filthy and dusty and only 2 out of the 4 machines worked. The arcade can only be accessed from the water park and has carpeted floors which were damp and smelly. The ventilation access in the ceiling was coated in dust and dripping water onto the machines and the floor.

I'm not sure what the improvement plans are for this resort, but it is evident that there has been serious neglect over the years. It is in a great location and has amazing potential - whoever runs the resort needs to put some serious capital improvement plans in place.

I would not bring my family back, I couldn't wait to get them in the shower each day to get them disinfected.... Sad state for such a potentially great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read that your kids enjoyed the indoor waterpark and the indoor pool. I also appreciate the comments regarding our recent room updates and that you found your room to be clean. I'm sorry you found some of the areas looking like they were neglected and dirty. I can assure you that our water quality in our pools is always clean and safe. We have 5 certified pool operators on our staff and water quality is a top concern. Unfortunately, the resort uses well water, which despite our efforts to remove the iron and calcium, causes staining in the pools and on the water features. We do try to keep up with removing the stains, and we will be doing this preventative maintenance again this spring now that the waterpark is closed during the weekdays when kids are in school. Unfortunately, you saw us at our worst, after being open for 40 consecutive days during spring break, the iron and calcium stains were at their worst. I do apologize for the floors being dirty, although we were very busy during March, there is no excuse for not keeping up with the cleanliness. I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention, as we will make sure we correct them. I do hope you return and give us an opportunity to earn your business back. Thank you again for your comments!

Been to Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!