“This place is so-so” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 13 hotels in Alexandria
Burnsville, Minnesota
“This place is so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Took the family up for a night over spring break. We did get a fair price for the room which included waterpark passes with a pizza and "pitcher" of pop. First off, the room was very nice...no complaints there. However, we get to the waterpark and it is not as big as it looks in the pictures. Don;t get me wrong, the kids had fun (that's what was most important) but there weren't that many options for wet and splashy fun! Then we went to the "arcade" if that what you want to call it. There were seriously only like 6 or 7 games.

So we get back to the room and order our free pizza. What a disappointment, I guess I shouldn't complain because it was "free", but this thing 1) was only a 12" pizza..not very big for a family of four, and 2) the pizza was inedible. I mean it was awful! That little pizza was so bad that my kids (6 & 9) took a bite and spit it out, and they are not the picky type when it comes to pizza. It was just bad :-( The free pitcher of pop was just a 1 liter bottle, and if you want another one, they charge you $8!. I then looked at the menu and OMG! i understand that at a resort, you can expect to pay a little more than usual, but the food was so expensive it was ridiculous. The prices reminded me of a five start restarant in Vegas. But from what I was hearing from other guests was that all the food was bad, That probably explains all of the Domino's & Papa John's pizza boxes in the hallway. The rooms have fridges and microwaves so I would say you are better off bringing a cooler with some food and snacks or driving into town (10 min) to eat at one of the places there.The beds were pretty comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

The next morning we checked out the "buffet" for breakfast and again...not impressed. There were only like 5 or 6 items and nothing looked appetizing, and again, it was way overpriced. We checked out and went into town for a delicious and decently priced meal.

I will say this, we were only there for a night in March when there was still a foot of snow on the ground, so I could be off on a couple of things. The hotel did offer a some outdoor winter activities and because of location, it appeared they offer a lot of things to do in the summertime as well. We would probably go back (like I said, the room was really nice) but we will definitly plan ahead to avoid having to buy any food there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of Arrowwood Resort! I appreciate the nice comments about your room and the waterpark. I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves! I sincerely apologize that you didn't enjoy the pizza that came with your package. I wish you would have let us know while you were here as we would have replaced it as soon as possible. We normally receive very positive comments about our pizza, so I'm very disappointed to read about your experience. WE definitely appreciate the feedback and I'll share your comments with our Chef's!

I do hope you return to Arrowwood again in the future and give us a chance to show you the food quality our guests have come to know and expect from Arrowwood! Thanks again for your review!

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent a weekend here this winter for a quick getaway. The resort itself was nice and partially updated. It was not too big so getting around was easy. Customer service was great all around.

Our room was nice and looked to be recently updated. The cosmetics where changed but portions of the room where outdated and show wear.

We ate at Lake Cafe for each meal and found it to be average. Prices where fine for the food quality.

The water park was perfect size for younger children. Best of all the water was warm which makes it more enjoyable. The walk to the park was short and all indoors. The game room was good enough to keep the kids busy.

Overall it was a nice getaway but I think it would be better in the summer to take advantage of all of the other activities they offer. Might give it a try in the next couple of summers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for the great comments! It's nice to hear you experienced great customer service all around! We also appreciate the nice comments about the indoor waterpark. I'm glad you enjoyed the park and the warm water!

Arrowwood is a great resort to retreat to in the summertime as well! I look forward to seeing you soon!
Delano, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at Arrowwood for a quick spring break getaway with our kids. The kids had a great time enjoying the waterpark and the lap pool....but they don't see the neglect and the filth. The rooms seem to have been updated lately, or at least they were clean. The common areas including the pools, hot tubs, bathrooms and the arcade were disgusting. The indoor waterpark features were covered in calcium deposits, brown iron rings, and slime. The rock features around the lazy river were white/green and slimy where the water was running down. The stairwell and platform leading up to the slides appeared to be rotting and had yellow/brown slime or mildew growth hanging off of them. The fake foiliage in the waterpark had at least an inch of dust coating them. The floors in the waterpark and the lap pool were dirty and had the same dirt and garbage on them the next day we went back which clearly indicated they had not cleaned overnight. The "fitness center" was filthy and dusty and only 2 out of the 4 machines worked. The arcade can only be accessed from the water park and has carpeted floors which were damp and smelly. The ventilation access in the ceiling was coated in dust and dripping water onto the machines and the floor.

I'm not sure what the improvement plans are for this resort, but it is evident that there has been serious neglect over the years. It is in a great location and has amazing potential - whoever runs the resort needs to put some serious capital improvement plans in place.

I would not bring my family back, I couldn't wait to get them in the shower each day to get them disinfected.... Sad state for such a potentially great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read that your kids enjoyed the indoor waterpark and the indoor pool. I also appreciate the comments regarding our recent room updates and that you found your room to be clean. I'm sorry you found some of the areas looking like they were neglected and dirty. I can assure you that our water quality in our pools is always clean and safe. We have 5 certified pool operators on our staff and water quality is a top concern. Unfortunately, the resort uses well water, which despite our efforts to remove the iron and calcium, causes staining in the pools and on the water features. We do try to keep up with removing the stains, and we will be doing this preventative maintenance again this spring now that the waterpark is closed during the weekdays when kids are in school. Unfortunately, you saw us at our worst, after being open for 40 consecutive days during spring break, the iron and calcium stains were at their worst. I do apologize for the floors being dirty, although we were very busy during March, there is no excuse for not keeping up with the cleanliness. I appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention, as we will make sure we correct them. I do hope you return and give us an opportunity to earn your business back. Thank you again for your comments!
Hudson
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our family of four stayed at Arrowood Resort for 3 nights. We enjoyed the food at Lake Cafe...very good. We went to Darling Spa, they had affordable kids options $10 kid manicures or pedicurese, and $15 kids mini facials...my daughter loved it! Our room was very nice, clean, and had a GREAT view. My guess is it would be an even better view in the summer! We went to the waterpark twice during our stay and my kids and even husband loved it! I would recommend this hotel however I do have a few complaint and/or warning for potiencial travelers...
First complaint, although the water in the waterpark was heated to a very comfortable temperature of the room itself was a bit cold. We have a one year old and he was shivering, thus, we couldn't stay at the waterpark as long as we would have liked.
Second complaint, lack of parking. We stayed during offpeak time so we didn't have trouble parking, however, my guess is that during peak season this would not be the case.
Third and final complaint, I wish they would have better outlined the activities avaliable to their guests. They had a sheet at front desk they gave us at check-in listing a few crafts but it seemed there was other items going on at the resort for guests that we where not told about.

• Stayed March 2013
What a great review! We appreciate the thoughtful comments that will help other travelers. I'm happy you enjoyed the food in the Lake Cafe. Also, thanks for commenting on the great and affordable kids options in the Darling Reflections Spa. I will also pass along your positive comments about the cleanliness of your room to our staff, they love hearing our guests praise!

I'm sorry you missed out on some of the activities that are offered at the resort. In addition to the special activities that we offer, we have a full menu of our activities in our "Activities Guide", in the guestrooms and also on our website. I'm sure the next time you visit, you'll have a chance to enjoy all the resort has to offer.

Thank you again for the great review!
Maple Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

We could have done spring break, Mexico, Florida or anywhere else, but for a quick day trip Alexandria, MN is a alternative to just get away. If your a couple and or a family without a ton of time this is a great destination. on the plus side - Nice sized rooms, great beds and a waterpark to keep the kids busy. Snowmobile rentals and an indoor tennis facility.The lake setting is really nice and most rooms have a great view. The down side - The resort is starting to look a little dated and the maintenance is a little lacking, a toilet that ran if you didn't giggle the handle. Check-in was disrupted by a system crash requiring us to have to wait for our room in the bar, so not all bad it was happy hour! They could have comp'd us a couple of cocktails.... The breakfast buffet was below par lots of food, but everything was barely warm. Take a 10 minute road trip to Jan's Café, better value and quality. Otherwise it was a nice get away.

Room Tip: Fifth floor has high ceilings and great views. The rooms away from the waterpark have less hall traf...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor! We appreciate all the positive comments regarding your stay at the resort! We apologize for the delay at check-in due to computer problems, I'm glad we were able to resolve the issue quickly and get you into your rooms in a timely manner. We appreciate your patience! I apologize for the issue you had with the toilet, thank you for letting us know so we could fix the issue. I also apologize for the buffet breakfast being only warm. We normally receive many positive comments on our buffets, so I'm very disappointed to see we fell down on this particular morning.

Thank you again for the comments, we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Osakis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Thanks to everyone involved with our wedding dinner reception held in the Lake Room at Arrowwood Resort on March 23, 2013. Excellent overall planning and coordination of our event. Wait staff and service was friendly, responsive, and timely. Lastly, we felt Arrowwood went over and above what we had originally requested and expected, while offering us tremendous value - the prices were very reasonable and everyone commented on the quality of their food. We will return with our friends and family many times in the future! Thank you for a job well done.

Room Tip: We did not have accommodations for this particular event.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the wonder comments regarding your wedding at Arrowwood. It was an honor for us to host your special day. I'm so happy that everything went excellent! Thank you again!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

There were 14 of us (adults & kids) in a 4 bedroom, 3 bath townhome and it was spacious and perfect for that many people. I've stayed in the main hotel before, but these new townhomes are ideal for large groups, as you can all be together and not be crowded. The full size kitchen, dining area and open living room with fireplace are great. We would have spent more renting 4 sleeping rooms. I appreciated the cleanliness of the rooms. We've been staying around the country in 5 star rated hotels and there is always dust in the lamps or some odd corner - would not pass my mother's strict standards, and there is something about the Midwestern housekeeping ethic that is adhered to at the Arrowwood.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
The title of your review says a lot! Thanks for the great comments! The large families we host do love our townhomes. It was very nice to read the nice comments regarding the housekeeping standards! We share your positive comments with our team, it's nice to see them recognized! Thank you again!

Been to Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!