“A nice cold room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Albert Lea
Concord, California
“A nice cold room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this motel on November 11, 2012, the room was very nice with a king size bed, refrigerator, microwave, one cup coffee maker, etc. The bed was very comfortable as was mostly everything else in the room.

These things were not okay in Room 118:
1) The internet service was very slow.
2) The wash cloths were very thin, I call them wimpy.
3) With the thermostat set at maximum (86 degrees), the room did not get any warmer than 69 degrees throughout the night. When I woke up cold in the middle of the night, I was not about to change rooms or expect the heating unit to be fixed without keeping me up for too long.
4) The lamp next to the bed did not work, so it was dark in that corner.
5) In the bathroom there was a timer to turn on the heat lamp while showering. There was no heat lamp, it was replaced with a ordinary spot light that did not put out any heat in a cold room.

As I said before, this was a nice place, but management needs to pay more attention to the details of room maintenance. The bed had one blanket and a nice heavy bed covering, which I used to stay warm while sleeping. Another plus is, when I checked in, they gave me a coupon for $5 off breakfast at their restaurant, which I used the next morning, the food was good.

I would stay there again, but I would check out the room before settling in.

Room Tip: Check out the room and make sure the important things work when you arrive. This is true of any plac...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hotel was very functional..Room was ok and quiet. Big Island Restaurant was nice and very reasonably priced. Dorthy the Hostess was wonderful and Laura at the front desk was very professional and competent. Overall staff was friendly and helpful. Easy on-off access to I-35. Many family restaurants located nearby. A decent spot to spend the night.

Room Tip: An inside room would be quietest.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I wasn't quite sure what to expect for less than $70 at a motel chain that I'd never stayed at before, but I was pleasantly surprised by my night at the Americas Best Value Inn. We only stayed here between 11 PM and 8 AM the next morning (just needed a place to crash for the night on a long drive) but it served our needs very adequately and saved us some cash compared with others in the area.

Our room was spacious and clean, with a king bed, work desk area, and a cute little table and chairs that would have been nice for breakfast or something. The bed itself was very comfortable, though perhaps a bit lacking in pillows - only three for the two of us. The bathroom was either old or retro, with cool funky green tile in the shower, but everything seemed to work just fine and it looked very clean as well. All in all, we were able to sleep well here and get back on the road rested and rejuvenated.

The property looked really nice for a budget hotel, though we didn't have the time to check much of it out. Our room was near the pool area, so we looked at it - seemed clean and nice but we didn't try it. Also there is an inner courtyard with plants and benches. That would make a decent place to relax or do work if you were on a business trip perhaps.

The only (minor) downside was that the walls seemed a bit thin, noise-wise. As I was drifting off to sleep, I heard voices fairly clearly from our next-door neighbors' room. They weren't rowdy or anything so it didn't affect my sleep, but I can imagine that if they were it could have been an annoyance. From our experience, it wasn't an issue.

This motel was a great value for the money, and perfectly suited our need for a comfy bed for one night of a long drive. If you need a place to stay in Albert Lea, I wouldn't bother spending more at one of the other chains in town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I do not expect America's Best Value motels to be much. Not so this trip. My room was on the ground floor, non-smoking, with a refrigerator and microwave as requested. The carpet, bedding, and furniture all appeared nearly new. The bathroom had recently been redone. The hallways were clean and re-carpeted recently. There is a restaurant/bar attached to the motel, although I did not use it. The motel has a nice little interior courtyard type area and a nice looking pool area. Several restaurants and fast food places are near-by as well as gas stations. The motel is located on Main street and easily accessible to I-35 and I-90. Traveling singly, I felt very safe, although the chain latch was broken on my door. This motel was well worth the extra $10 compared to the other "budget" motels my friends stayed in. I'm guessing this is an old Holiday Inn, it certainly is a big step up from other America's Best Values I have seen.

Of note: Motel is pet friendly, plenty of grass to exercise dog.

Very minor concern: desk is not regularly attended. Had to stand around waiting to get my room key replaced, however attendant was very friendly and provided help promptly when he came.

Room Tip: Ask for new part of motel. A room toward the back is also recommended as the motel is right on main...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Forest City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My fiancee and I spent two nights at your Albert Lea, Minnesota location and it was absolutely enjoyable! Staff were very friendly, professional, informative and patient. Our room was very clean, comfortable and well maintained. The pool was very clean (both around the pool and the water), plenty of towels and the water temp was perfect. The courtyard was immaculate and well Having the Big Island Bar and Grill restaurant adjacent to the hotel is a major plus. I am so satisfied with the ABVI in Albert Lea, Minnesota I just had to tell you. Please inform the staff at this location from 3 pm Saturday June 30th until Monday July 2nd 2012 that we were impressed and appreciative of their efforts. This location is awesome! Anyone who complains or whines about this hotel is never satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their newer rooms. Rooms on the north side were very quiet, and close to the ice maki...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
rochester,mn
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

There are way more cons about this place, but a few pros....we were here for a wedding over the weekend. Me, my husband and our 14 year old son.

Pros:
LOCATION. Ideally situated at the crossroads of I-90 and I-35. Very close to WalMart, a gas station, lots of fast food places.
POOL. Very large, nice temp, clean.
EVENT CENTER. This goes on the pro and the con list. Large and very nice for what I know my friends paid for it for their wedding. Food..>OMG amazing. The chicken was delish!! Nice courtyard area where people could hang out and smoke if they needed to.
WI-FI. It was free. And it worked.

And now, the list of cons....
PRICE. This is a Motel 6 trying to disguise itself as a Holiday Inn. What budget motel doesn't have a free continental breakfast!?!?! This one, apparently. They did give us a "coupon" for either 30% or $5 off a meal in the restaurant...but we didn't have the time to wait at the restaurant as we were in the wedding party and were busy the entire weekend. A grab and go would have been nice, as well as cheaper.
CLEANLINESS. OMG this hotel was incredibly dirty (I don't mean like, unwashed sheets dirty, no worries there that I saw) but I mean age dirty...needs new carpet and paint everywhere, new doors on the rooms and bathrooms. SO HUMID. Our swimsuits were still wet on sunday morning, and we hadn't been swimming since friday afternoon!! Our bathroom fan was non-existent...that could have been part of the problem.
TV Half of the channels were staticky. The little time we were in our room, it would have been nice to be able to tune in to a show.
STAFF The person who checked us in on friday apparently didn't run our credit card properly, so there was a problem with our check out. Also I had to wait quite a while to get checked in for someone to come to the desk.
DOOR LOCKS The doors to outside that should need a key to enter didn't work on the back side of the building!! That didn't make me feel too safe....
MATTRESSES Wow, did our backs hurt when we got home. Very uncomfortable.
WHIRLPOOL nonexistent. Really? Lame. Most people would opt for a whirlpool over a swimming pool.
EVENT CENTER Well, it was nice for some things...spacious, well laid out. But grumpy security dude took his job a little *too* seriously and kicked me out of the dance temporarily for bringing my own beer in....which was after they were going to charge $400 for another keg!! Yes, you read that right. Of course we were going to drink our own beer!!!

Read my other reviews...believe me, I am NOT someone that usually picks apart hotels for little things. But this hotel is NOT worth your money. Drive the extra few miles up to Owatonna or down to Mason City to stay at a nicer hotel for a cheaper price.

Room Tip: We stayed in what appeared to be the older part of the hotel, room 169. Maybe try to get one closer...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
St Paul MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked this hotel online and made an error in the dates. They charged my credit card for the date I was not there. When I called to try to get the issue resolved, they had no interest in giving me a refund, although they did say that it "happens all the time" that people booking online mistake the dates.

So, they got about $78.00 of my money for nothing...hope it is worth it to them. I will never book with this hotel chain again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Albert Lea? Share your experiences!